The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sifting through the past replies but I'm drunk right now, so I'm not going to attempt an articulate message for this thread right now. For now, let's just all embrace our inner savage and agree that this guy makes remarkable music that just does something to people.

The god's verse on "Or Nah" is giving me so much ******* motivation to go back to my old ways for tonight. :smh:

Aint nobody tryna save ya
Baby get that paper
Probably got a lot of other ******* ow'n you favors
[emoji]128570[/emoji] so good had to save that **** for later

... Party cool, but he ain't ******* with that.

Man yall in here arguing over Drake & Weeknd. Thought something dropped 
mean.gif

I agree that people give too much credit to Drake helping Weeknd out.

Just off features alone Weeknd has used aubrey on two songs, The Zone & Live For.

While aubrey has Crew Love & The Ride. Was given Shot For Me. Was helped on Practice, Cameras/GOG Interlude.

I mean dude also dropped Trilogy in Nov '12, songs we all heard, for free, & that ishh still managed to sell 100k or 300k due to multiple cds.

Idk man.

I think credit is irrelevent.

I just don't see how the biggest rap artist in the world invested in your success isn't really really valuable.

It worked out well for Kanye and Jay, worked well for Wayne and Drake.

I don't think "independence" is worth anything, but hey what do i know.

I know for me I heard "crew love" first. Never checked for Abel.

It wasn't until I heard the chopped and screwed " Same ole Song" that I was like :nerd:
Who the **** is this guy.

Went and listened to every mixtape. And now I literally listen to the weekend a few times a **** for the last year and a half. For the first year it was every day tho. :lol:

Abel is that dude, easily my favorite artist right now. :pimp:

I think credit is irrelevent.

I just don't see how the biggest rap artist in the world invested in your success isn't really really valuable.

It worked out well for Kanye and Jay, worked well for Wayne and Drake.

I don't think "independence" is worth anything, but hey what do i know.
Your perspective is what's flawed. You're not crazy at all. Everyone agrees that Drake's investment is extremely valuable. Who said it wasn't really really valuable?

You don't seem to understand that the Weeknd didn't want to be a PND, didn't want to be someone else's artist. Had he signed with OVO that's exactly what would have happened. He would have been in Drake's shadow. You don't seem to understand that the Weeknd is doing beyond just fine with the decisions he's made. The choice that he made to be his own brand has yielded plenty of money and success.

Who are you to judge a man's decision to stand on his own two feet without any attachments? That's where you're completely ignorant. Like I said, you would have a point if the Weeknd was going broke or middling into irrelevancy but he isn't
laugh.gif
dude is flourishing on his own coin

Last edited:
Your perspective is what's flawed. You're not crazy at all. Everyone agrees that Drake's investment is extremely valuable. Who said it wasn't really really valuable?

You don't seem to understand that the Weeknd didn't want to be a PND, didn't want to be someone else's artist. Had he signed with OVO that's exactly what would have happened. He would have been in Drake's shadow. You don't seem to understand that the Weeknd is doing beyond just fine with the decisions he's made. The choice that he made to be his own brand has yielded plenty of money and success.

Who are you to judge a man's decision to stand on his own two feet without any attachments? That's where you're completely ignorant. Like I said, you would have a point if the Weeknd was going broke or middling into irrelevancy but he isn't :lol: dude is flourishing on his own coin

1. I understand, I just think it's dumb.

Is Drake Lil Wayne's artist?

Is Kanye Jay's artists?

Unless you are afraid your talent is great enough to shine through, I don't see how being "someone elses artists" happens.

2. I think he would be bigger, with drake as a supporter, just my opinion, I don't feel like he is as big of a deal as when he was linked to drake.

3. We judge because were on the Internet, what else are we doing other than judging people? :lol:

1. I understand, I just think it's dumb.

Is Drake Lil Wayne's artist?

Is Kanye Jay's artists?

Unless you are afraid your talent is great enough to shine through, I don't see how being "someone elses artists" happens.

2. I think he would be bigger, with drake as a supporter, just my opinion, I don't feel like he is as big of a deal as when he was linked to drake.

3. We judge because were on the Internet, what else are we doing other than judging people?
laugh.gif
You're comparing Drake/Kanye to the Weeknd. It's a different dynamic.  Weeknd's talent would have shined through regardless, and that's why Weeknd chose to just be on his own. That argument works both ways. Like I said, he aint want to be a PND. Nothing wrong with PND or his movement though.

As far as judging, I fully understand we're here to judge, that's why I'm judging your error in judgement in this discussion
laugh.gif
my question was a rhetorical one, b. You saying "it's dumb he didn't sign with Drake" is dumb. Weeknd knew what he was doing when he didn't choose OVO, he knew that was easy $$$ and still made the decision to be his own movement.

He's proved he's capable of going on world tours and making money.. on his own. So yeah, it's dumb for you to make judgements on his career decision when that's what he wanted to do regardless of the money available. If he really wanted to make the most money the path to get there was laid out and clear as day. He didn't choose that and still garnered a ton of success and $$$

Last edited:
Weeknd wasn't afraid of being Drake's artist IMO he knew the XO brand would grow enough to identify him and as an entity separate of Drake's. He also would be bigger right now with the Drake push obviously. That's not to say that Weeknd isn't big time now, but he would probably be huge given his talent and the way his music hits the youth.

Money is what it came down to at the end of the day IMO. He wasn't afraid of being drake's artist he just stood to make a lot more of a profit having his own label and being his own artist, rather than being under another artist.

I think he'd stand to make more money under an OVO label/affiliation. More exposure

I don't think his decision to be his own entity had anything to do with money nor exposure. I think it was just that he wanted... to be his own entity

Lowkey the first half of the song kissland is annoying. I fastfoward to the good part everytime. It's not bad it's just not as good as the latter part

Lowkey the first half of the song kissland is annoying. I fastfoward to the good part everytime. It's not bad it's just not as good as the latter part

That's like skipping the thrill of coming up. Gotta let it settle in your system before the confidence for debauchery ensues.

This dude needs to put out a new mixtape I couldn't really mess with the album as much as his old mixtapes. All his verses have been on point this year though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom