The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Often been on repeat the last couple of days. that **** is
pimp.gif
when you're
pimp.gif
Same hereee. Bump it all the time
nthat.gif

So I had deluxe version of "Take Care", I guess just not the version with "The Ride" on it... Never had heard it... :smh:

Jawn has been on repeat... Gets you faded just vibing to it... Just wish Abel had a full fledged verse...

So I had deluxe version of "Take Care", I guess just not the version with "The Ride" on it... Never had heard it...
mean.gif

Jawn has been on repeat... Gets you faded just vibing to it... Just wish Abel had a full fledged verse...
Was listening to this track the other day. Forgot how much I liked it! I agree, he should have. It would've been even more
nthat.gif

So I had deluxe version of "Take Care", I guess just not the version with "The Ride" on it... Never had heard it... :smh:

My favorite song on Take Care. Had that feeling even before I liked The Weeknd. When I came to my senses it just made it that much better :pimp:.

Last edited:
They could've just made Take Care an OVOXO album with all of Weeknd's tracks
laugh.gif

I never thought Weeknd should've had a verse on The Ride, the beat just doesn't seem fitting.  Now, Shot For Me could've used a verse from him
pimp.gif

So what's ppls take on The Weeknd not signing with Drake back then? You think it def stirred beef with the 2? Even though ofcourse Abel said that they have no beef at all. He woulda been part of ymcmb then right? Also do artists have to have a contract to play their songs on the radio? because I never heard the Weeknd played at all except for crew love and remember you and we know why. I see Abel likes to do his own thing. I've never looked into that subject so sorry for my knowledge

So what's ppls take on The Weeknd not signing with Drake back then? You think it def stirred beef with the 2? Even though ofcourse Abel said that they have no beef at all. He woulda been part of ymcmb then right? Also do artists have to have a contract to play their songs on the radio? because I never heard the Weeknd played at all except for crew love and remember you and we know why. I see Abel likes to do his own thing. I've never looked into that subject so sorry for my knowledge
the weeknd on ymcmb would have been a bad...but nah he wouldve been OVO sound like majid and PND. drake is ready to bolt away from ymcmb unless he gets a fat deal from stunna and wayne. 

only time i heard a weeknd track on the radio it was a sped up remix of wicked games 
mean.gif
 during a noon remix session out here in LA. shout out to DJ reflex though

ill put it in the spoiler if anyone wants to check it out....i didnt like it at all

Last edited:

It's a pretty obvious mis calculation.

The synergy that comes associating your brand with the biggest rap artist in the world, has to be worth more than whatever the hell he ended up singing for.

It's a pretty obvious mis calculation.

The synergy that comes associating your brand with the biggest rap artist in the world, has to be worth more than whatever the hell he ended up singing for.

"I just sold out the O2 at my own pace
I can say that I’m attached to nobody"

I think it was very calculated. Money wasn't the motive. It was about independence as a brand and artist. He didn't want to become Drake's sidekick. Cash Money hasn't been the fairest record labels when it comes to payment anyway.

I think it was very calculated. Money wasn't the motive. It was about independence as a brand and artist. He didn't want to become Drake's sidekick. Cash Money hasn't been the fairest record labels when it comes to payment anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he would've been signed to OVO Sound not Cash Money.

Damn yo y'all got me back in my reckless days listening to the ride and take care lmao....doing a solid year's worth of listening to the weekend after taking this small sabbatical lol.

"I just sold out the O2 at my own pace
I can say that I’m attached to nobody"

"Independence as a brand and artist"

nonsense double talk.

imean did drake lose "Independence as a brand and artist" when he signed with Wayne? Is it hurting his career.

plus the weeknd ended up touring with drake any ways so what happened to "independence"?

it was dumb then it's dumb now, made up double talk like "brand" or "independence" aint worth the synergy/promotion/cultural currency that drake provides.

Last edited:
When Drake signed with YMCM he was pretty clearly already on a trajectory to pass Wayne at some point, two totally different situations.

And LOL at calling words like brand and independent made up double talk before going on to site Drake's "cultural currency."

Last edited:
Honestly Take Care was an amazing album.  Able had his hands all in that project.  If he signed with drake i think the fear was, as mentioned, being drakes side kick, and drake taking verses, chorus, melody's from him.  

I am glad it turned out the way it did. 

KOTF is really starting to grow on me.  

"She make her own luck, she don't give a ****"

"I never said i'd be sober in the first place"

Yea, The Weeknd has a ceiling that Drake doesn't/didn't have. It was pretty obvious Drake was going to be a superstar. And barring something crazy happening, The Weeknd will not be. Drake doesn't take him to superstar status. He's going to be who he his and sing about the things he wants and have a group of fans dedicated enough to sell out whenever he touches the road.

These days, people make up their minds on artists pretty quickly. People had decided on The Weeknd by the time it was time for him to sign. Drake co-sign and all.

Last edited:
"Independence as a brand and artist"

nonsense double talk.

imean did drake lose "Independence as a brand and artist" when he signed with Wayne? Is it hurting his career.

plus the weeknd ended up touring with drake any ways so what happened to "independence"?

it was dumb then it's dumb now, made up double talk like "brand" or "independence" aint worth the synergy/promotion/cultural currency that drake provides.
Weeknd did things his way, of course he wants money, everybody does but I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what he was missing out on by not signing to OVO. So there was no miscalculation at all IMO, he was making specific choices for his own brand. 

Just because he went on tour with Drake doesn't mean he aint independent and that really doesn't say much of anything. Other than he and Drake were men enough to bury the beef and do a great tour. 

If Weeknd really wanted to make the most money things would have turned out much differently. I'm really happy he made the choices he did... 

Last edited:
Before the Drake tour, he did his own European tour. He went on a mini-tour with Justin Timberlake. Before that he headlined his own U.S/Canada tour for 30 something days. He also has his own merchandise line that sells out pretty regularly. Still seems pretty independent to me...

Drake became pretty independent but it also caused a riff between him, Wayne and Nicki. There's no guarantee that independence would've been the same if Wayne didn't fall off HARD. He also got his own label/OVO Sound out of the deal - you don't know if Drake was offering that. Weeknd was big but not nearly as commercially big as Drake was when it was time for him to sign his deal.

He just wanted to do his own thing. I don't know how you could be mad at that. It's not like him and Drake grew up together. And he's still doing more than fine.

Only one questioning it seems to be the Drake stan. It seems the Weekend and his fans are pretty happy with the way things have played out.

Last edited:
The Weeknd hasn't come close to reaching his ceiling.

If he ever decided to truly go mainstream he'd be huge. Most regular chicks I know don't know who The Weeknd is.

He's a more talented darker version of The Dream, and that guy was everywhere for about 2 years

Last edited:
Only one questioning it seems to be the Drake stan. It seems the Weekend and his fans are pretty happy with the way things have played out.
Didn't know he was a Drake stan 
mean.gif
 hating on a fellow Canadian 
mean.gif

I could understand if Weeknd was going broke or struggling to stay relevant, you could claim he made a dumb move by not signing with OVO... but he isn't struggling in the least. He's doing beyond good. "Dumb then and dumb now"
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom