The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Originally Posted by Jada2001Retro

Wenger...you have 8 days to do some good business.

Hand me the cash and I will bring in some good players.
Realistically though, who can you get at this point in time?

Gary Cahill for starters

Moutinho, Hazard, Kaka, Hulk, Willian, Ganso, M'Vila, Gourcuff, Ribery...all players we could use and we can afford.

Gary Cahill for starters

Moutinho, Hazard, Kaka, Hulk, Willian, Ganso, M'Vila, Gourcuff, Ribery...all players we could use and we can afford.

Aside from Cahill and Willian, you're not getting any of those guys in the next 8 days. Rennes already said they don't want to give up M'Vila, the rest are long shots.

A team saying they don't want to give up a player means nothing...look at Cesc, Nasri and Mata for starters.

All of those players are attainable and you know that deals can be made within 24-48 hrs...

We have the money to buy any of those players, Wenger needs to splash it.

Anzhi agree Eto'o deal
August 23, 2011
Email Print
By ESPNsoccernet staff
Anzhi Makhachkala have confirmed they have reached an agreement with Inter Milan to sign Samuel Eto'o, who will now head to Russia to undergo a medical.

GettyImages
Samuel Eto'o: Close to Anzhi deal
Reports in Italy claim the deal is worth £21.8 million, with Cameroon striker Eto'o set to become the world's best-paid player on £17.9 million a season after tax.

Anzhi market consultant German Tkachenko told Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport: ''We chose Eto'o because he is a fantastic player. Now there are only small formalities, which will be resolved tomorrow (Wednesday).''

The statement from Anzhi continued: ''Anzhi expresses gratitude to the leadership of Inter Milan for their professional and constructive approach in the negotiations.

''Tomorrow the player will undergo a medical examination, following which the player will be awarded a three-year contract.

''On Thursday, Samuel will arrive at the location of his new team and will begin preparations for the match against FC Rostov.''

Tkachenko led a delegation from the Russian club who met with their Inter counterparts on Tuesday afternoon to thrash out the deal.

Eto'o scored 21 goals in 35 Serie A appearances for Inter last season, having helped Barcelona to Champions League glory in 2006 and 2009, scoring in the final victories over Arsenal and Manchester United.

:/

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

Gary Cahill for starters

Aside from Cahill and Willian, you're not getting any of those guys in the next 8 days. Rennes already said they don't want to give up M'Vila, the rest are long shots.

Kaka wants to stay on RM.
A 26mil pound bid has been placed for Hazard but the GM said he wasn't going anywhere 

As for the others, I'll keep my fingers crossed

mad.gif
im so tired of city buying all these players, i hate super teams man i really do but i hope this will force united to pull the trigger on sneijder, with the 40 mill they are making from DHL for TRAINING kits, use that money
happy.gif

Chelsea have maintained their frenzied late activity in the transfer market as the deadline approaches by lodging a bid of around €20m (£16.6m) for the highly rated Porto wing-back Alvaro Pereira.

That opening offer falls short of the buyout clause in the Uruguayan's contract, which stands at €30m, and is likely to be rejected, with the Londoners braced for a hectic period of negotiations to follow.

I like Pereira but if Abrahmovich gives him 30M, I'll smack him in the face myself.

FW: Dzeko, Balotelli, Aguero, Tevez
MF: Nasri, Johnson, Silva, Toure, Barry, De Jong, Milner

Basically leaves no playing time for Adam Johnson.
my gawd
sick.gif

all those attacking players
laugh.gif
 well i know my fifa 12 squad when everyone in their mom runs with Barca/Real/Chelsea/Man U.

shame about adam johnson bein the odd man out too.. reminds me of Kalou obv got talent and pace but cant get the time on the pitch to prove his true worth

if im honest, im not sure if i agree with all of you guys on the city move..

yeah its BS that teams are just trying to buy their way into a title, not disagreeing with that. but the notion that city dont need Nasri is wrong to me.

in the modern game it is already been seen that the way to trophies comes with consistent quality play, to do so you need quality in depth...sir alex has been the leading advocate of this for sometime now. Mourinho as well.

http://www.zonalmarking.n...actics-7-squad-rotation/

"How many players do you think Sir Alex Ferguson used as Manchester United won the title in (2008/09)?" 33 different players. 

yeah its an extreme example but imagine a team having david silva, nasri, dzeko, and aguero running at them all match, then to close they have johnson, balloteli, and maybe tevez to deal with on tired legs..not to mention the squad will be playin more football now with the champions league as well..united have a similar approach.

Originally Posted by tonton32

if im honest, im not sure if i agree with all of you guys on the city move..

yeah its BS that teams are just trying to buy their way into a title, not disagreeing with that. but the notion that city dont need Nasri is wrong to me.

in the modern game it is already been seen that the way to trophies comes with consistent quality play, to do so you need quality in depth...sir alex has been the leading advocate of this for sometime now. Mourinho as well.

http://www.zonalmarking.n...actics-7-squad-rotation/

"How many players do you think Sir Alex Ferguson used as Manchester United won the title in (2008/09)?" 33 different players. 

yeah its an extreme example but imagine a team having david silva, nasri, dzeko, and aguero running at them all match, then to close they have johnson, balloteli, and maybe tevez to deal with on tired legs..not to mention the squad will be playin more football now with the champions league as well..united have a similar approach.
Don't get me wrong, having depth is very important. However, when you have young and able bodies covering positions that don't really need tuning, why do you go out and make the effort? Again, the signing for Nasri is a steal but the problem WITH the signing is that it's hindering the careers of other young players (in this case, mostly Adam Johnson). If this trend continues, you're gonna have a league full of Salomon Kalous, who apparently aren't "good enough" to start a team but are still "good enough" to keep on your roster for depth. I don't think Man City are a Nasri away from winning the league title, they are very capable even without him, even perhaps without Tevez. Yes, the signing obviously strengthens their core but to suggest that they absolutely need them to win the league title is farfetched. He himself is gonna have trouble with getting some minutes because we still don't know what direction Mancini is going with this midfield.

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

my gawd
sick.gif

all those attacking players
laugh.gif
 well i know my fifa 12 squad when everyone in their mom runs with Barca/Real/Chelsea/Man U.

shame about adam johnson bein the odd man out too.. reminds me of Kalou obv got talent and pace but cant get the time on the pitch to prove his true worth

Exactly what comes to mind. Also, I forgot to put Aleks Kolarov, who was bumped up to midfield last year. Where's he gonna play now? Can't throw him back down on D because you replaced him with Clichy.

Still don't understand why people are bashing City for acquiring more talent. Anyone really think Sheikh Mansour has spent over a billion on the team just to be content with domestic success? Their ambitions lie in Europe, and if they want to compete with Barca, Real, and the other continental giants over the next few years they'll need all the top talent they can get. I doubt anyone considered Adam Johnson's feelings when making the deal, nor should they have. Silva, Dzeko, Kompany, Hart, Aguero, Nasri, etc. are all 25 or younger and will have a chance to grow and develop chemistry together. They'll be a force for years to come.

The salt I've heard coming from United fans is pretty funny though. If Fergie swooped in last minute and signed Nasri everyone would be deifying him.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Still don't understand why people are bashing City for acquiring more talent. Anyone really think Sheikh Mansour has spent over a billion on the team just to be content with domestic success? Their ambitions lie in Europe, and if they want to compete with Barca, Real, and the other continental giants over the next few years they'll need all the top talent they can get. I doubt anyone considered Adam Johnson's feelings when making the deal, nor should they have. Silva, Dzeko, Kompany, Hart, Aguero, Nasri, etc. are all 25 or younger and will have a chance to grow and develop chemistry together. They'll be a force for years to come.

The salt I've heard coming from United fans is pretty funny though. If Fergie swooped in last minute and signed Nasri everyone would be deifying him.
Valid argument but you have to admit there is a log jam at the FW/MF position. That certainly won't bode well with a few personalities on the squad when they realize their playing time has been diminished.

Chelsea have maintained their frenzied late activity in the transfer market as the deadline approaches by lodging a bid of around €20m (£16.6m) for the highly rated Porto wing-back Alvaro Pereira.

That opening offer falls short of the buyout clause in the Uruguayan's contract, which stands at €30m, and is likely to be rejected, with the Londoners braced for a hectic period of negotiations to follow.

I like Pereira but if Abrahmovich gives him 30M, I'll smack him in the face myself.
You gonna smack AVB too? That's the guy he specifically wants, who cares how much Roman spends.

just noticed this
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

De Gea
Smalling Jones Evan Evra
Nani Anderson Tom Young
Welbeck Rooney

Lindegaard
Rafael Rio Vidic Fabio
Valencia Carrick Giggs Park
Berba Chicha

put in whatever order of players and i think we still make a good case..this is still excluding fletch, kiko, gibson, mame, owen, pogba, and morrison as well

Originally Posted by Bean Pie Slanga

You gonna smack AVB too? That's the guy he specifically wants, who cares how much Roman spends.

Cause he's not worth that much. I'd rather him spend 30M on a better player.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Valid argument but you have to admit there is a log jam at the FW/MF position. That certainly won't bode well with a few personalities on the squad when they realize their playing time has been diminished.
i thought Tevez wanted out anyway... theres still time...

if he leaves and sumone goes out on loan even perhaps theylll have cash to add a solid defenseive player next transfer window
laugh.gif

it is straight create a team out there and as much as I hate the idea of it... its one of the things that draws me to the game honestly

sux for buying kits tho
laugh.gif

Nasri was definitely needed by Man City because David Silva was their only creative midfielder. They had Yaya Toure (Yaya Toure!!!!!) playing in the hole last season due to lack of options in that position. If we are to believe the rumors then Javier Pastore was their first option but they didnt think he was worth the money PSG paid for him. Nasri is a smart buy on several fronts...he is young, he has proven he can cut it in the CL, he was relatively cheap (compared to the other options out there), he can play either wing position or in the hole, and he's fine with coming off the bench.

In addition to quality you need depth in this day and age. Many people questioned the Sanchez and Fabregas signings earlier on but they were signed by Barca for similar reasons...because outside of Barca's starting XI last season + 2-3 players, they had a very shallow team. The same goes with City...yeah, they have a lot of options but they lacked depth in certain areas and have since addressed those concerns.

As for Arsenal, I cant think of a team in any sport that has so willingly given its best players away to a rival and effectively given their spot away in the standings as well. In the last 3 years we sold City our best CF, 2nd best attacking midfielder, starting CB and starting LB. We've weakened our team while seeing City getting stronger in small thanks to the players they acquired from us. The losses of Fabregas and Nasri will be catastrophic for a variety of reasons, the least of which is losing 2 world class talents. Who's going to want to join such an un-ambitious club in the future, one that was unwilling to give its 3rd best attacker (Nasri) a significant pay raise even after he performed well enough to deserve one?

Just like this sport is a business for clubs, it's also a business for players and Arsenal are going to have an extremely difficult time attracting quality players from here on out. There was a time when Arsenal had the highest or 2nd highest payroll in all of England and the likes of Henry, Vieira, etc were happy campers because of their high wages. Nowadays Arsenal do not want to pay anyone, not even their best players. In the short run, the club has gotten much weaker and the fact that Fabregas and Nasri were only sold in the last 2 weeks of the deadline (when they could've sold them much earlier in the window giving the club more time to seek replacements) shows that Arsenal mis-managed this entire situation. Other than Gervinho, Arsenal havent made any key additions in 60+ days of the transfer window, what makes people think they're going to do so with just 7 days left? Once again the media continues throwing around names well out of the club's price range, as if they are going to pay 25+ mill for a guy like Eden Hazard when they just lost their 3rd best player because of a dispute as minuscule as 20k a week worth of wages.

And where is the madness going to stop? 7 years ago when Arsenal prioritized paying off its stadium debt, Wenger said he would embark on a 5 year rebuilding phase to have the team compete for trophies with cheap as well as young players. Here we are in year 7 and with nothing to show for it except for the weakest team ever in Wenger's reign as manager. Before you know it, our remaining star players (Sagna, Vermalen, Song, Wilshere, van Persie) will grow discontent with the mediocrity and ask to be sold as well. Wenger and the club have lost the plot and no one should be surprised to see them struggle to finish 4th or fall out of the top 4 altogether in the coming years. Arsenal at this point is nothing more than a feeder club...in the past we sold our best players when they were over the hill, now we sell them in the primes of their careers.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Nasri was definitely needed by Man City because David Silva was their only creative midfielder. They had Yaya Toure (Yaya Toure!!!!!) playing in the hole last season due to lack of options in that position. If we are to believe the rumors then Javier Pastore was their first option but they didnt think he was worth the money PSG paid for him. Nasri is a smart buy on several fronts...he is young, he has proven he can cut it in the CL, he was relatively cheap (compared to the other options out there), he can play either wing position or in the hole, and he's fine with coming off the bench.

In addition to quality you need depth in this day and age. Many people questioned the Sanchez and Fabregas signings earlier on but they were signed by Barca for similar reasons...because outside of Barca's starting XI last season + 2-3 players, they had a very shallow team. The same goes with City...yeah, they have a lot of options but they lacked depth in certain areas and have since addressed those concerns.

As for Arsenal, I cant think of a team in any sport that has so willingly given its best players away to a rival and effectively given their spot away in the standings as well. In the last 3 years we sold City our best CF, 2nd best attacking midfielder, starting CB and starting LB. We've weakened our team while seeing City getting stronger in small thanks to the players they acquired from us. The losses of Fabregas and Nasri will be catastrophic for a variety of reasons, the least of which is losing 2 world class talents. Who's going to want to join such an un-ambitious club in the future, one that was unwilling to give its 3rd best attacker (Nasri) a significant pay raise even after he performed well enough to deserve one?

Just like this sport is a business for clubs, it's also a business for players and Arsenal are going to have an extremely difficult time attracting quality players from here on out. There was a time when Arsenal had the highest or 2nd highest payroll in all of England and the likes of Henry, Vieira, etc were happy campers because of their high wages. Nowadays Arsenal do not want to pay anyone, not even their best players. In the short run, the club has gotten much weaker and the fact that Fabregas and Nasri were only sold in the last 2 weeks of the deadline (when they could've sold them much earlier in the window giving the club more time to seek replacements) shows that Arsenal mis-managed this entire situation. Other than Gervinho, Arsenal havent made any key additions in 60+ days of the transfer window, what makes people think they're going to do so with just 7 days left? Once again the media continues throwing around names well out of the club's price range, as if they are going to pay 25+ mill for a guy like Eden Hazard when they just lost their 3rd best player because of a dispute as minuscule as 20k a week worth of wages.

And where is the madness going to stop? 7 years ago when Arsenal prioritized paying off its stadium debt, Wenger said he would embark on a 5 year rebuilding phase to have the team compete for trophies with cheap as well as young players. Here we are in year 7 and with nothing to show for it except for the weakest team ever in Wenger's reign as manager. Before you know it, our remaining star players (Sagna, Vermalen, Song, Wilshere, van Persie) will grow discontent with the mediocrity and ask to be sold as well. Wenger and the club have lost the plot and no one should be surprised to see them struggle to finish 4th or fall out of the top 4 altogether in the coming years. Arsenal at this point is nothing more than a feeder club...in the past we sold our best players when they were over the hill, now we sell them in the primes of their careers.
I don't think anybody had doubts about Sanchez. If they did, they were morons. While Barca still end up winning everything in life, they did lack an extra forward off the bench. Makes much more sense now that Bojan has left. As for Fabregas, it makes a bit more sense than Nasri to Man City only because Xavi and Iniesta are aging and they can fit him in the system although it will stunt Pedro and/or Busquets' growth at Barcelona (most likely Pedro). At the same time, Pedro is basically a first option off the bench for them so they aren't losing much as long as he's okay with that.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Ehh I agree wholeheartedly about mismanaging the Fabregas and Nasri situation as far as the timing.  Both should have been done long ago.  In regard to Nasri not staying because of wages, that is true but the amount that City are going to pay him are astronomical.  He didin't sign because he knew City would blow our best offer by 100k a week.  Simple as that.  I don't believe for one second Arsenal stood firm and were only off by 20k a week.  Once Nasri got a whiff on what he would make at City there was no chance he was staying, whether that be now or next year.  As far as selling our "best" players to City, that is simply not true in my opinon.  Adebayor was done here and you know it.  After that one monster 30 goal season he was looking for greener pastures then and when that didin't happen the Arsenal fans turned on him and he had a disappointing season.  I would like to have him still because our CFs besides RVP are trash but its not like he could have stayed here under the circumstances and he didin't do much at City anyway.  Kolo is a good player who we still could use but Clichy hasn't been right for awhile.  From what I remember you didin't even really rate Adebayor and you definitely don't rate Clichy anyway.  Nasri was definitely a big loss but business wise we had to.  They just should have done it earlier.  Obviously there are big problems at Arsenal but we will see what happens over the next week or so.  First and foremost they need to get into the group stage of the CL to get any significant pieces. We will see if AW and the board were lying to us the whole time.  From what I understand wages were the hold up in other potential deals this summer that we missed out on and Wenger wanted to re do the wage system and bring the players like Mata who we were strongly linked with. 

Back
Top Bottom