The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

A statement from Valencia read: "Valencia has reached an agreement in principle with Chelsea FC for the transfer of the player Juan Manuel Mata. The agreement is subject to the relevant medical tests."

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

i would actually like to see a agüero/tevez partnership 
I hope not 
laugh.gif
 I hope City ship Tevez back to South America or to the Bundesliga or something.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

i would actually like to see a agüero/tevez partnership 
I hope not 
laugh.gif
 I hope City ship Tevez back to South America or to the Bundesliga or something.
Inter Milan makes the most sense at this point. I like Tevez's game, I'd like to see him on a competitive team in Europe.

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

A statement from Valencia read: "Valencia has reached an agreement in principle with Chelsea FC for the transfer of the player Juan Manuel Mata. The agreement is subject to the relevant medical tests."

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Great goal, reminds me of Robben's goal against United a couple of seasons back. Very hard to keep down, those types of balls.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Great goal, reminds me of Robben's goal against United a couple of seasons back. Very hard to keep down, those types of balls.
The bend on that shot is absolutely ridiculous.

Many of us have said for the last few years that Arsenal's frugal ways will eventually catch up to them. It's hard to blame Wenger IMO considering that the club hasnt given him money to spend. However, Wenger does deserve blame for over-relying on the likes of Almunia, Denilson, Diaby, Rosicky, Bendtner, etc over the years. Many of his value buys havent worked out and the club's decision to see its best players leave year after year (Henry, Gilberto, Flamini, Gallas, Adebayor, Toure, Fabregas...and maybe Nasri?) obviously hasnt helped.

The days of winning major trophies despite 0 net spending are over, or atleast over for the time being. Even clubs like Barca that rely mostly on homegrown players know they need to spend money to compete in this era. There's no way Arsenal can realistically expect to compete when the likes of Utd, City, Chelsea, and now Liverpool spending big money to improve their squads. Heck, even Spurs are attracting quality players these days and should be taken more seriously.

The media has taken Arsenal fans for a ride this summer, just like they did in previous summers. The formula is simple...link players X, Y and Z to Arsenal...watch as Arsenal's huge global fan base consume this news and absorb it as if its factual, thus increasing web views, newspaper subscriptions, etc. Look at all the players valued at 15+ million that have been linked to Arsenal in recent years, even though the club has never spent more than 15m on a player in its history.

There is a serious chance Arsenal misses out on the top 4 this season and sadly, I think we need to miss out on the top 4 for the board to take things more seriously. Right now they are perfectly content with making the CL every year and being competitive through March. Quite frankly Wenger has been a miracle worker keeping the club this competitive all these years despite being given no money to spend. If you look at the club's transfer spending over the past 6 years you'll realize that more often than not Wenger was not able to spend more than the money the club made from player sales...heck, we often saw the club give Wenger LESS to spend than money they made from transfers (i.e. banking the Adebayor + Kolo Toure money).

The days of Arsenal being PL, FA Cup contenders are done until the club undergoes a major makeover. For now their #1 aim will be to finish 4th. Even making the CL QFs or winning the Carling Cup (both realistic possibilities) will not be enough to keep Arsenal fans happy.

This 2011-12 version of the team is the weakest we've had under Wenger and it's going to be a very long season. What's even more depressing is the club as it stood last year only needed like 4 decent additions to have them as EPL, FA Cup contenders this season. Had they kept last year's squad in tack plus added another CB, a good LB, a good utility CM and an attacker that could offer 10-15 goals then the club would've been in very good shape. Acquiring players in those 4 positions may have cost a total of 50 million.

It's very pathetic how the 2nd richest club in England, 3rd richest club in football, top 10 wealthiest team in all of sports, almost debt free, has made a ton of money from property, merchandise, ticket sales, CL revenue over the years and yet they refuse to improve the onfield product.

I still think we get that 4th spot, but Wenger must spend.

We have the money, what is the reason he has not purchased Cahill yet at least?

I don't want this dude spending insane amount of dough, but we NEED to replace Cesc and Nasri...why does he not understand this?

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Many of us have said for the last few years that Arsenal's frugal ways will eventually catch up to them. It's hard to blame Wenger IMO considering that the club hasnt given him money to spend. However, Wenger does deserve blame for over-relying on the likes of Almunia, Denilson, Diaby, Rosicky, Bendtner, etc over the years. Many of his value buys havent worked out and the club's decision to see its best players leave year after year (Henry, Gilberto, Flamini, Gallas, Adebayor, Toure, Fabregas...and maybe Nasri?) obviously hasnt helped.

The days of winning major trophies despite 0 net spending are over, or atleast over for the time being. Even clubs like Barca that rely mostly on homegrown players know they need to spend money to compete in this era. There's no way Arsenal can realistically expect to compete when the likes of Utd, City, Chelsea, and now Liverpool spending big money to improve their squads. Heck, even Spurs are attracting quality players these days and should be taken more seriously.

The media has taken Arsenal fans for a ride this summer, just like they did in previous summers. The formula is simple...link players X, Y and Z to Arsenal...watch as Arsenal's huge global fan base consume this news and absorb it as if its factual, thus increasing web views, newspaper subscriptions, etc. Look at all the players valued at 15+ million that have been linked to Arsenal in recent years, even though the club has never spent more than 15m on a player in its history.

There is a serious chance Arsenal misses out on the top 4 this season and sadly, I think we need to miss out on the top 4 for the board to take things more seriously. Right now they are perfectly content with making the CL every year and being competitive through March. Quite frankly Wenger has been a miracle worker keeping the club this competitive all these years despite being given no money to spend. If you look at the club's transfer spending over the past 6 years you'll realize that more often than not Wenger was not able to spend more than the money the club made from player sales...heck, we often saw the club give Wenger LESS to spend than money they made from transfers (i.e. banking the Adebayor + Kolo Toure money).

The days of Arsenal being PL, FA Cup contenders are done until the club undergoes a major makeover. For now their #1 aim will be to finish 4th. Even making the CL QFs or winning the Carling Cup (both realistic possibilities) will not be enough to keep Arsenal fans happy.

This 2011-12 version of the team is the weakest we've had under Wenger and it's going to be a very long season. What's even more depressing is the club as it stood last year only needed like 4 decent additions to have them as EPL, FA Cup contenders this season. Had they kept last year's squad in tack plus added another CB, a good LB, a good utility CM and an attacker that could offer 10-15 goals then the club would've been in very good shape. Acquiring players in those 4 positions may have cost a total of 50 million.

It's very pathetic how the 2nd richest club in England, 3rd richest club in football, top 10 wealthiest team in all of sports, almost debt free, has made a ton of money from property, merchandise, ticket sales, CL revenue over the years and yet they refuse to improve the onfield product.
Great post, agree from top to bottom. It's that same reluctance from the board of directors that makes their legitimate star players leave the team because they don't spend money on putting together a better team. It's gonna take a major change and I really do feel bad for Wenger because he is not to blame entirely. Both the team and Wenger need a fresh start and I think finally, after 15 years, Wenger's days are numbered at Arsenal.

very well said..

While Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp insists that Chelsea target Luka Modric will not play against Manchester United tonight because "his head's not in the right place", The Sun claim the midfielder has gone on strike to try and force through his transfer after Chelsea lodged an official £30 million bid.

The truth probably lies somewhere between the two, but it certainly looks as though want-away Modric is edging towards the White Hart Lane exit door... although there is no word from either club on this alleged "official £30 million bid".

Normally I disagree with you and think you are pathetically pessimistic, but it has gotten to the point where you are absolutely correct. I think the blame is partly on the board because they love the fact that Wenger qualifies for the CL every year while making net gains from transfers, and Wenger is able to take his stubborn approach to his youth players. We don't truly know whether Wenger wasn't able to spend the money or just didn't care to. Its frustrating to hear him say he won't overspend, but we are in an inflated market and to get quality you have to spend.

I'm not super upset that we lost Cesc, that wasn't totally about the money. But not we have squabbled with Nasri over a few hundred thousand pounds a year? Really?  You are completely right that the only thing that can kick-start the recovery is missing the CL, either this year or next. The problem is what will happen I think is similar to what happened in 2009 when we panic signed Arshavin that made the team just good enough to take 4th back from Aston Villa, although that won't be as easy to do this year.

The ownership is being incredibly short sighted. To make money in sports you must spend money to build success and thus equity in the team increasing its value.

De Gea, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Evra, Young, Cleverley, Anderson, Nani, Rooney, Welbeck.
Lindegaard, Giggs, Fabio, Park, Carrick, Berbatov, Hernandez.
Welbeck over Berba?  Chicha available already?

Friedel; Walker, Dawson, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto; Lennon, Kranjcar, Livermore, Bale; Van der Vaart; Defoe

Back
Top Bottom