The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

[h2]England squad named[/h2]
[h4][/h4]
Sunday, 06 November, 2011

Fabio Capello hands calls to Sturridge and Rodwell.

Fabio Capello has named a 25-man squad for the upcoming games at Wembley and has given first calls to Jack Rodwell and Daniel Sturridge.

Everton midfielder Rodwell and Chelsea forward Sturridge were both a part of the Under-21s squad at this summer's European Championship in Denmark, and have performed well in the Premier League this season. 

The pair join former Under-21s team mates Joe Hart, Phill Jones, Kyle Walker, Adam Johnson, James Milner, Theo Walcott, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Danny Welbeck in Fabio's squad.

England face two testing encounters against Spain in front of a sell-out crowd at Wembley next Saturday, 12 November, before another home friendly against Sweden on Tuesday 15 November

Fabio spoke on Saturday about the upcoming games, click here to watch the FATV video.

Goalkeepers
Scott Carson (Bursapor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), David Stockdale (Ipswich Town - loan from Fulham)

Defenders
Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Bolton Wanderers), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur) 

Midfielders
Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Theo Walcott (Arsenal) 

Forwards
Gabby Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

Originally Posted by ItzJono

City's taking the trophy this year. Sheiks > insert here
They certainly have a good shot but there's a looooong way to go yet in the season. Given the youth of their team and their inexperience playing together you have to believe City will have a few rough patches. Look what happened to Chelsea last year. 

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

*waits for city to offer 100M for him*

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

On a scale 1-6, how funny would you rate that comment to be?
His sig clearly says Arsenal FC, try again

relax. Too early in the season to make such reckless claims.  Season only really starts in January. 
City has a lot of stars, and stars come with egos, that's how dressing room drama begins and teams fall apart. 

Also City will NOT continue that ridiculous run for the whole season, they're dry patches will come soon....

The biggest advantage they have right now is that ridiculous goal tally...

Anyone paying attention to the MLS playoffs? Gonna be LA Galaxy vs Houston in the final.

Let's go Houston
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

relax. Too early in the season to make such reckless claims.  Season only really starts in January. 
City has a lot of stars, and stars come with egos, that's how dressing room drama begins and teams fall apart. 

Also City will NOT continue that ridiculous run for the whole season, they're dry patches will come soon....

Im talking about Champions League

laugh.gif
that's even worse. Champions League is harder to predict than the EPL. Look at Barca losing to Inter a couple years ago; everyone had them pencilled in as champions until Inter put 3 past them in the first leg. In the EPL you can slip up and recover, in the Champions League you have one bad game in the knockout round like Barca did and it's over. 
I'll honestly be surprised if Man City wins any major trophies this year. EPL is gonna be a dogfight and CL is honestly unlikely to go to anyone other than Barca or Madrid. 

City is still a year or two away from its potential peak. 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

laugh.gif
that's even worse. Champions League is harder to predict than the EPL. Look at Barca losing to Inter a couple years ago; everyone had them pencilled in as champions until Inter put 3 past them in the first leg. In the EPL you can slip up and recover, in the Champions League you have one bad game in the knockout round like Barca did and it's over. 
I'll honestly be surprised if Man City wins any major trophies this year. EPL is gonna be a dogfight and CL is honestly unlikely to go to anyone other than Barca or Madrid. 

Don't know...if they make this year, it will be VERY close. 
They're bench is so damn strong 
mad.gif
 when the heavy injury parts of the season affect most teams, they can just pull Ballotelli, or Dzeko off the bench...

It's possible they could win this season...won't be easy though...

laugh.gif

mad.gif
 when the heavy injury parts of the season affect most teams, they can just pull Ballotelli, or Dzeko off the bench...

If the Tevez situation gets worked out, they will be all that stronger. I have them in my top 5 with Bayern ahead of them. As stated before CL is hard to predict, I see them doing well.

laugh.gif

mad.gif

Agreed, I wouldn't be surprised if Man City took the Premier League title but they won't run through the competition or anything crazy like that. As far CL goes, I don't know what that fool is talking about, Man City isn't even guaranteed out of their group yet, that game in Naples is going to be crucial.

Reportedly a close teammate said M'Vila is headed to Arsenal or Madrid in January, Arsenal definitely needs him more but Madrid will probably pay more.
City is not ready to win the CL, simple as that. Their first match with Bayern exemplified this notion and although City has improved since then, it's Barca or Madrid's competition to lose with Bayern Munich, Manchester United, and Chelsea also with outside but legitimate chances as well. 

look at what i started
laugh.gif
...all jokes aside city prem league..CL probably barca again..a little too early to tell but i can dream right?..thanks for the input guys

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

City is not ready to win the CL, simple as that. Their first match with Bayern exemplified this notion and although City has improved since then, it's Barca or Madrid's competition to lose with Bayern Munich, Manchester United, and Chelsea also with outside but legitimate chances as well. 
So losing 2-nil to perhaps the third best side in Europe exemplifies the hopelessness of City in the CL, but Man U and Chelsea have legitimate chances despite both drawing against absolute minnows? Not exactly logical. 
Chelsea and United have shown me nothing domestically or otherwise that suggests either are capable of winning the CL. Both are flawed sides, especially United with their midfield problems. 

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

So losing 2-nil to perhaps the third best side in Europe exemplifies the hopelessness of City in the CL, but Man U and Chelsea have legitimate chances despite both drawing against absolute minnows? Not exactly logical. 
Chelsea and United have shown me nothing domestically or otherwise that suggests either are capable of winning the CL. Both are flawed sides, especially United with their midfield problems. 
Third best side is arguable. But in general, I do agree with you. And even as a Chelsea fan, I'd say we have more flaws than United (don't get me started on our defense). I'd say Real Madrid is the real frontrunner for the Champions League title. That haven't given up a single goal and they're playing great football in La Liga. The consistent play from Ronaldo, the resurgence of Higuain after a tough season last year, not to mention the boatload of depth they have, I don't know if there's a defense in the world that can stop their high octane offense right now.

Not sure if it's exactly what abovelegit was getting at but I support the notion that no English team right now is really a threat to win the CL. Lots of things can change but neither Manchester team nor Chelsea or Arsenal strike me as really having the overall quality and consistency to withstand the CL knockout round.

Barca and Madrid. Bayern is a legit threat but I'd still be mildly surprised if they won a 2-leg contest against either of the Spanish giants.

Not sure if it's exactly what abovelegit was getting at but I support the notion that no English team right now is really a threat to win the CL. Lots of things can change but neither Manchester team nor Chelsea or Arsenal strike me as really having the overall quality and consistency to withstand the CL knockout round.

Barca and Madrid. Bayern is a legit threat but I'd still be mildly surprised if they won a 2-leg contest against either of the Spanish giants.
Agreed. Bayern certainly has the fire power to compete with them (Mario Gomez with 41 goals in 38 Bundesliga matches in the last two seasons
indifferent.gif
).

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

Third best side is arguable. But in general, I do agree with you. And even as a Chelsea fan, I'd say we have more flaws than United (don't get me started on our defense). I'd say Real Madrid is the real frontrunner for the Champions League title. That haven't given up a single goal and they're playing great football in La Liga. The consistent play from Ronaldo, the resurgence of Higuain after a tough season last year, not to mention the boatload of depth they have, I don't know if there's a defense in the world that can stop their high octane offense right now.
That's why I said 'perhaps' in regard to being the third best side. 
Barca are the favorites for the CL and will remain so until they are defeated. Using results against inferior competition is meaningless when trying to predict a cup tournament; all that matters is how the elite sides stack up against each other, player by player, and team by team. Madrid are obviously the biggest threat, but I believe a significant gap remains. I could probably write an essay, but 5 points to keep it brief: 

-Lionel Messi

-An in-form Madrid were unable to beat Barca in the Super Cup, and both of Real's goals in the latter leg were cheap. 

-The strength of midfield is always key in a two-leg format, as ability to retain possession, dictate tempo, and generally execute a manager's game plan is largely dependent on the players who to put it simply, spend the most time on the ball. Barca's midfield is the strongest in Europe, and it isn't close. Barca were able to maintain 60/40 possession, despite Real's fitness and Mou fielding his strongest side in the SuperCup. 

-Madrid's conductor, Xabi Alonso, is only so ordinary against the likes of Xavi and Iniesta. His relative lack of mobility drastically reduces his effectiveness and influence.

- The only footballers for Real who would crack FCB's starting XI are Ronaldo and maybe Casillas. Surely the team with the most individual talent, along with unmatched chemistry is the clear favorite?

And yes, as an FCB supporter I'm aware this post may come off as rather obnoxious/irksome. 
laugh.gif
 For that, I apologize. 

to be honest bayern are my pick to win the champions league, i really hope they go out and buy a legit player in January just for extra power in the later stages, though i'm not sure who i'd like to see them get

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

That's why I said 'perhaps' in regard to being the third best side. 
Barca are the favorites for the CL and will remain so until they are defeated. Using results against inferior competition is meaningless when trying to predict a cup tournament; all that matters is how the elite sides stack up against each other, player by player, and team by team. Madrid are obviously the biggest threat, but I believe a significant gap remains. I could probably write an essay, but 5 points to keep it brief: 

-Lionel Messi

-An in-form Madrid were unable to beat Barca in the Super Cup, and both of Real's goals in the latter leg were cheap. 

-The strength of midfield is always key in a two-leg format, as ability to retain possession, dictate tempo, and generally execute a manager's game plan is largely dependent on the players who to put it simply, spend the most time on the ball. Barca's midfield is the strongest in Europe, and it isn't close. Barca were able to maintain 60/40 possession, despite Real's fitness and Mou fielding his strongest side in the SuperCup. 

-Madrid's conductor, Xabi Alonso, is only so ordinary against the likes of Xavi and Iniesta. His relative lack of mobility drastically reduces his effectiveness and influence.

- The only footballers for Real who would crack FCB's starting XI are Ronaldo and maybe Casillas. Surely the team with the most individual talent, along with unmatched chemistry is the clear favorite?

And yes, as an FCB supporter I'm aware this post may come off as rather obnoxious/irksome. 
laugh.gif
 For that, I apologize. 
You're forgetting...
Higuain. 
Di Maria

Ozil

. There are multiple better and more suitable options on the roster for a strongest XI than those three.

Back
Top Bottom