The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Mou is about The Campaign(TM).
Drawing at top sides away isn't an awful result. We've only played one of the top 8 at home so far, so we can make points on the 2nd half.

...and that wasn't nearly as boring as the United game back early in the season, at least. :\

Season's greetings from Jose's favorite striker.

Gary Neville & Jamie Carragher pick their Prem teams so far... The weather had a lot to do with it, but that was an awfully painful game to watch today. Chelsea getting the nil-nil draw helped them though... Wenger has yet to beat Jose right?

Talk of Aron Johannsson moving from AZ Alkmaar to Celtic on a £2.4m transfer... Interesting...

Na Fresco, you're not getting away with that excuse. Arsenal with 2 shots on goal. Not having it.

Cmon bro, your bias against EPL footy is the reason you couldn't enjoy the game...

Although I screamed at my stream/PC for the better part of the game, I was on the edge of my seat all game... Arsenals offense looked dismal for most of the match mainly due to the weather and Jose parking the damn bus. Tiki taka is a bit harder to execute in driving rain, but that's just me. Chelski played for the draw and their offensive tactics (or lack thereof) consisted of the occasional counterattack. We had some chances at the end with the buildup to those chances being entertaining TO ME. Not sure how the game was boring, I guess my threshold/standard of entertainment is a lot lower than yours. ::shrugs::

Last edited:

Na Fresco, you're not getting away with that excuse. Arsenal with 2 shots on goal. Not having it.
Cmon bro, your bias against EPL footy is the reason you couldn't enjoy the game...

Although I screamed at my stream/PC for the better part of the game, I was on the edge of my seat all game... Arsenals offense looked dismal for most of the match mainly due to the weather and Jose parking the damn bus. Tiki taka is a bit harder to execute in driving rain, but that's just me. Chelski played for the draw and their offensive tactics (or lack thereof) consisted of the occasional counterattack. We had some chances at the end with the buildup to those chances being entertaining TO ME. Not sure how the game was boring, I guess my threshold/standard of entertainment is a lot lower than yours. ::shrugs::
if a match was boring because of the weather, and one of the managers using negative tactics, it still means it was boring 
laugh.gif

there were barely any bright moments, even the hard crunching physical BPL tackles that maybe could have been epic in those conditions were all fouls.

it was a derby match by two sides fighting for first, and it didnt deliver in terms of quality or seeing an epic battle in the conditions (aside from the excessive fouling and poor tackling, if you wanna count that.)

Last edited:
I normally watch Chelsea games twice to get a better feel for what happened, not even gonna bother with this one.

Mourinho playing for the draw on the road against a top 4 team is smart, and its a good result for Chelsea. Problem is the entertainment value of the team hasn't been good for several seasons. Chelsea are becoming a boring team to watch, and its a shame given our supposed wealth of attacking talent.

Although I screamed at my stream/PC for the better part of the game, I was on the edge of my seat all game... Arsenals offense looked dismal for most of the match mainly due to the weather and Jose parking the damn bus. Tiki taka is a bit harder to execute in driving rain, but that's just me.

I don't prefer English football first but I have watched and enjoyed many matches this season (many Arsenal ones in fact). I've been learning to appreciate the English style much more for what it is ever since the games have become available on NBC.

That doesn't excuse the fact that this game was a total bore fest man. The world was watching this game, the expectations were very high. I thought Arsenal were going to come out and ready to play, make a bold statement. Thats what I wanted to see. Instead they let Chelsea dictate the game. In fact after the game, Skysports analysts and ESPN analysts said that this game was very uninspiring and boring (Englishmen saying that).

That could very well be Chelsea's fault more than Arsenal's, they did the same thing at Old Trafford earlier this season. But we expect that from Chelsea, 1 point away is what they wanted, and to be honest they by far had the better opportunities this game. Chelsea's like the fighter who just pins you down the whole time during the fight. :lol:

But Arsenal was not inspired to win, this was the perfect time to show the world. For nearly 80 mins no shots on goal. I understand you were on the edge of your feet, that makes sense, you're an Arsenal fan - I know that feeling (Every touch and kick makes you a nervous wreck) but look at it from the football fan's point of view - Very Disappointing game. I'm not the only one saying so also. I have no horse in the race, but it was a boring race. I call it how I see it.

Last edited:
I normally watch Chelsea games twice to get a better feel for what happened, not even gonna bother with this one.

Mourinho playing for the draw on the road against a top 4 team is smart, and its a good result for Chelsea. Problem is the entertainment value of the team hasn't been good for several seasons. Chelsea are becoming a boring team to watch, and its a shame given our supposed wealth of attacking talent.
ive watched.chelsea once since drogba left. Theyre the opposite of xcitement

I don't prefer English football first but I have watched and enjoyed many matches this season (many Arsenal ones in fact). I've been learning to appreciate the English style much more for what it is ever since the games have become available on NBC.

That doesn't excuse the fact that this game was a total bore fest man. The world was watching this game, the expectations were very high. I thought Arsenal were going to come out and ready to play, make a bold statement. Thats what I wanted to see. Instead they let Chelsea dictate the game. In fact after the game, Skysports analysts and ESPN analysts said that this game was very uninspiring and boring (Englishmen saying that).

That could very well be Chelsea's fault more than Arsenal's, they did the same thing at Old Trafford earlier this season. But we expect that from Chelsea, 1 point away is what they wanted, and to be honest they by far had the better opportunities this game. Chelsea's like the fighter who just pins you down the whole time during the fight. :lol:

But Arsenal was not inspired to win, this was the perfect time to show the world. For nearly 80 mins no shots on goal. I understand you were on the edge of your feet, that makes sense, you're an Arsenal fan - I know that feeling (Every touch and kick makes you a nervous wreck) but look at it from the football fan's point of view - Very Disappointing game. I'm not the only one saying so also. I have no horse in the race, but it was a boring race. I call it how I see it.

1. Arsenal don't play TYPICAL English Footy.

2. Chelsea didn't dictate this match, unless by dictate you are referring to their defensive play, as they routinely had between 6-8 men in the box while Arsenal was in possession. Chelsea's few chances were almost exclusively on the counter.

3. I will agree with your analysis of the Arsenal offense, please refer to my post right after the game ended. We need a better finisher to complement/back up Giroud and for the life of me, I still can't figure out why Wenger didn't make any substitutions yesterday. One sub in the midfield (Santi, even Podolski on the wing) or even Bendtner up top would've gave us an inkling that AW cared about POSSIBLY getting a win. It almost seems that him and Mou colluded to maintain the draw.

4. We will have to agree to disagree on the entertainment value of the game. Arsenal's MF looked solid but couldn't build up enough momentum for that push into the final third. Many mistakes were made due to the field conditions which on a regular day would've have led to better offensive build up and possibly more shots on target. Couple that with Chelsea practically parking the bus, and of course the game would seem boring to anyone that is used to the high flying Gunners (and to a lesser degree Chelsea). I mean, many folks call Barca's Tiki taka boring too, lol. I've slowly learned to appreciate low scoring games and defensive minded tactics, albeit knowing that it won't be too aesthetically pleasing for the neutral or casual fan.

I'm not a Arsenal hater. I've said numerous times that I have an enormous amount of respect for Wenger however yesterday showed why older managers often get in their own way because they're set in their ways. The blue print of how Jose plays Arsenal is well established but Wenger didn't try anything new. He used the same exact approach that he's always had & over 10-11 games against Jose, Wenger has gotten the same results.

Well Fresco, me and the rest of the world are going to have to agree to disagree with you on whether or not it was an entertaining game. Is what it is. :lol:

On to what matters, I think Mou is more than happy with how the game was played and the results.

Last edited:
Yo Coupe... What's wrong with your peoples man... :lol:

Sporting Braga fans invaded the pitch during a game against Maritimo, including a grandma... :lol:

Reds & Blues fans are aiming for the largest Ya Ya & Kolo chant ever....

Last edited:
I rewatched some of the Getafe vs Barca game. Getafe really tried to take advantage of a Barca side that didn't have La Pulga or Neymar. Thankful for a great performance from Pedro & the brace from Cesc. That pitch was horrible. Huge pieces/divots were coming up. It really affected the likes of Alves & Iniesta.

I bought my son Neymar shirt for Christmas (along with a Bayern Gotze) & when I got it, it look really small. I put it up against an Iniesta shirt from last year that I got him that fits big but it was the same size. The vertical lines of the new shirt just made it look a lot smaller/slimmer.

Having said that, Pique has picked up a lot of weight. It's even more noticeable given the Barca kit having gone back to the vertical stripes (instead of last year's gradient pattern). His play is downright embarrassing. He looked like a stone statue bolted to the ground on set pieces. Very slow to react in general, reading plays incorrectly, no spacial awareness, just abysmal. I know he'll end up getting an extension, but I would really like to urge Zubi & Rosell from resigning Pique, family history or not.

Barta has been the best CB all season & I'm not sure why he doesn't start more. it's clear that Barca needs another CB & please dear god please stay away from Luiz.

The one thing I was glad to see is the squad not fold after being down 2-nil.

Sorry I missed Everton play today.

Balo will be Balo. I wish he'd get it together because he can be such a fantastic player.

Coupe - Having great players is definitely a must, but a manager is key too... Even without the likes of losing Ozil in the transfer market or losing Khedira to injury, RM should not be struggling like they are this campaign & Ancelotti is the sole reason for that.

Glad to see some great footy today... Inter beating Milan, Juve beating Atalanta, & PSG salvaging a draw to a feisty Lille. Espanyol beat the crap out of Real Valladolid too...
I didn't see the Barca-Getafe game, but i think Pique hasn't been playing that bad so far this season. He has had his moments, but overall (from what i've watched), he's decent. I do think it's Bartra's time though. He needs to pair up with Pique in the back and i am not sure what Martino is waiting for. Call me crazy, but i don't think we need a CB right away. Puyol and Mascherano can cover minutes with Pique and Bartra. Montoya covers Alvez, Jordi Alba is back, and Adriano can damb near cover any position on the pitch (if he isn't injured haha).

Dude my mom is from Bragança, they don't play. Give the old lady some credit.

Braga's stadium is so dope btw. But I've never seen that before while I was there, thats kinda crazy. Go Braga tho! Thats my second team.

Finally watched the highlights from the City vs. Fulham match......and yo.....that pass from Beast Negredo to Milner was insane!

Back
Top Bottom