The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Can't wait for Sweden/ Portugal today... Hoping for a good match. Have no idea whose going to pull through today. Both playoff games should be good. I can't see one team blowing out the other though.

Watched the Mexico vs Kiwis off of my dvr last night. You could definitely tell The Eagles made an impact on that game. It looked like the type of football that Piojo's had Club America playing the last several years. El Tri scored every which way.

I was a little surprised at how poorly New Zealand defended, especially on set pieces. Great result but I guess that was to be expected since El Tri is playing a team ranked somewhere in the bottom portion of the top 100 worldwide. I think El Tri will continue to roll the Kiwis at home too.

This marks 3 straight games dating back to 10/30 when El Tri played Finland where they have played well. The interesting thing is what side will be fielded for the WC next summer.

Damn, I thought today was Friday because I'm prepping some reports for tomorrow...

Here's the only game scheduled for today...

Thursday, November 14
Belgium vs Colombia (friendly), 3pm, ESPN Deportes and WatchESPN.com

Get to see those nice adidas Columbia kits in action...

Last edited:
Why does Zlatan have a sword? He'd just kick Ronny in the head and the battle would be over quick.

Wow, you are really overreacting. Let It Go Dog, it's Over. :lol:

You're happy with the way Mexico played today, you're content. You think they're suddenly a different team. Some Mexican fans aren't as satisfied and optimistic as you, but hey guess what? - thats just who you are! it is what it is, so congrats amigo.

Now go get those gif's, I didn't see the second half goals. I'd love to see them. Nothing more I like in this thread then goal gifs.

And that is why central/south americans root against mexico my friend...they got this "soberbia" about their team and a heightened sense of self. You would have to talk futbol with a mexican to understand. central/south american dont dislike mexicans they just dont like mexican fans/Mex NT/Mex Media.

Last edited:
Tomorrow's game is going to be ugly. I can tell you the way Portugal is going to play.

Lots of good midfield passing, some high defensive pressure, but no fluid passing in the final third for a striker to score goals. If Ronaldo has the ball on the left wing and gets a wiff of air (cause he'll most def be double teamed) he'll be shooting desperately from 30 yards out - taking bad shots.

If Sweden scores it'll most likely be off a cross or a set play, or I'm not kidding you - a complete defensive lapse which Portugal have had many of in qualifying (from the GK kicking it to the opposing team or our defense literally clearing the ball back into the feet of the opposition). Don't be surprised to see Bruno Alves having a chance it clear it and giving it right to Zlatan for a goal.

I know this team in and out. If we somehow we get our **** together like last years Euro Cup, then maybe, maybe we'll score 2 goals.

Zlatan is much more dangerous than Ronaldo in this type of matchup. I just hope Bento stresses it enough. Anyone know what the bookies have it as?

Last edited:
I rather see Portugal advance, but I have Sweden in the WC.

As a team I think Sweden is the better squad. Portugal has the talent and the better individuals, but the few times I've seen them play, they didn't play as a team. I think Sweden has better defense, central midfielders, and forwards. Portugal has better wingers, atleast that's the way I see it. I mean as a team, not individually btw.

Not that I want to compare the two teams because it's way different regions, but Portugal reminds me a lot of Mexico. Great players, not a great team. It sucks for Ronnie, cuz I always see him busting his *** on the pitch. Never gives up. Can't say the same about a lot of the other players.

Why do they keep calling Nani?

Coupe, enlighten me. Please.

No, if you want to compare Mexico's underachieving to a European team it's defiantly England, not Portugal. They don't compare. Portugal doesn't have the resources much less the population England has, don't even want to compare Portugal and Mexico's population, it's a joke.

I don't think Portugal underachieves as much as y'all think, I think we do just as well as we should do in the major tournaments. We underachieve in qualyfing, we're just not consistent enough, but it's hard to make it out of Europe. Lots of competition and lots of different styles.

We develop world class players at certain positions, we don't focus more on strikers or goalkeepers. We focus more on wingers and midfielders, a lot of that is due to Sporting's great academy. I'm a Porto fan but I don't think we do half as good of a job as they do. Wish Porto and Benfica would specialize our country's weak points, it'd help us going forward.

Mexico do not have great players like Portugal, but they share the underachieving attitude

I think Mexico has had Great players. Hugo Sanchez and Marquez come to mind. Portugal has great players now but before Ronaldo came onto the scene the only Portguese player people (ie the masses) knew was Eusebio. I think Ronaldo and Mourinho helped usher in a new generation of Portuguese players that we consider great.

Also people think if you go to Europe you are your country's greats; That is not always the case. Chicharito is at Man U but Luis Hernandez, Cuahtemoc, and Luis Garcia (yougins dont remember) were better strikers than Chicha in their prime.

Last edited:
View media item 654402
This is a ridiculous amount of pressure for Ronaldo. :lol:

Thats basically says "Ronaldo you're the best player in the world you better be golden next tomorrow"

Take some pressure off him, no man in football can do it themselves. I'm worried more about our number 9 being on point and our backline.

Haven't seen Portugal play since last year's Euro's, hopefully they put Ronaldo up front and not in the midfield, watching Helder Postiga miss shots that Ronaldo would've drilled was hard to watch.

#4Colombia / #5Belgium game is on right now, half time.  Tough battle.  Belgium has the slight edge in possession so far.   Hoping Colombia can pull out a W. 

Last edited:
You can rule Di Matteo for any jobs that become immediately available, he ain't getting another gig until after the summer... :lol:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/11/...00-per-week-by-chelsea-nightly-soccer-report/

Roberto Di Matteo is still being paid £130,000 per week by Chelsea, one year after being sacked by Roman Abramovich.
The astonishing revelation was brought to light by The Daily Mail‘s reporter Neil Ashton. He wrote:

"The Italian was unable to reach a settlement with owner Roman Abramovich on his three-year deal when he was fired six months after winning the Champions League as interim boss.

“Di Matteo has already banked almost £7million and will continue to pick up the king-sized salary until June 2014, meaning he is reluctant to take on another job for less money.”

Portugal's GK is horrible and their #9 is so inconsistent.

I used to love that burgundy alternate jersey that River plate had like in '04. Used to wear that with black jeans or khaki chinos and some burgundy Sambas. I used to have. That fit was so :nthat: to me lol

Back
Top Bottom