The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

This thread is starting to look like the nfl threads... :smh:

Here's a great segment from Sky Sports from not too long ago that pretty much sums this Neymar talk objectively IMO.

People choose to see what they want to see. A lot of people have trouble looking at things objectively & sports definitely brings that out in people in spades. People are obviously entitled to their opinions but a more informed person is pretty easy to spot, this thread included.

I try not to take things too personally, it's only a message board & this chatter is only about a sport, albeit one I love.

Edit - You may have to jump to youtube to watch this vid.

Last edited:
Is it me, or is Ozil not giving the effort he did at Madrid since he joined Arsenal. He just goes for the recycling of possession and the occasional cross. No more of the attacking dribbling or through balls that made him fun to watch for Germany or Madrid

Let me actually give you a response.

Ozil is actually playing very well. He's a world class player, but he's only 1/11. He doesn't have the same supporting cast as he did at Madrid and does at Germany. If he has top quality players doing their defensive work, and others great attacking players surrounding him, it allows him to just feed attacking options all day long. I don't think he has that luxury at Arsenal right now. I will say that recently Arsenal has found away to tighten up their defence. You can see it when opposition builds their attack, suddenly there's plenty of Arsenal jerseys in front of opposition and quite well structured applying pressure. But it's not the same as when he's in Germany or was at Madrid. A different calibre of surroundings helps an amazing player, be one the best in the world...

Dude, these guys from espn fc are hilarious man. They're like the inside the NBA cast but the soccer version. The host is witty as all hell. I haven't seen the show, it's always on at weird hours but they're great.

Host goes "The only possible way we can follow up cr7 and zlatans hat tricks this weekend is going straight to the 0-0 score in the eastern conference MLS cup.."

Then some other dude is talking about some Scottish player who scored for his club and why he doesn't score for Scotland and the host goes "because no body cares..."

Then they all make fun of the black dude for being a goalkeeper in his career.

On too of that, the Scottish dude says, "why do we need to talk about Rossi's life story all the time, we get it, he was born in New Jersey but he plays for Italy, come on"

Then the host calls out the same Scottish dude for being ugly. Haha. It's like a god damn roast. I'd wish they made the show available online.

Pedro with the self-assist
pedro-betis.gif

Mayuka against Marseilles
33sha53.gif

Southampton revival puts England on path to success
Club’s stunning start to season is built on home-grown talent nurtured at a new £30 million training base
Southampton revival puts England on path to success - rickie lambert, jay rodriguez
National service: Jay Rodriguez and Rickie Lambert (right) are in the England squad Photo: PA
Jeremy Wilson By Jeremy Wilson9:02PM GMT 10 Nov 2013 Comments3 Comments
Roy Hodgson’s England squad announcement last Thursday almost doubled as an official Football Association certificate of commendation for the practices of Southampton Football Club.
Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Jay Rodriguez ensured that a team in the third tier of English football only 30 months ago now have as many England senior internationals as Chel­sea and one more than Manchester City or Arsenal.
Factor in 18-year-olds James Ward-Prowse and Luke Shaw, who were named in the Under-21 squad, and it is easy to understand why Hodgson lavished such praise on Southampton and was present to witness their 4-1 demolition of Hull City. “Come on England” was among the chants at St Mary’s on Saturday.
As England prepare for fixtures over the next eight days against Chile and Germany, it all rather debunks the myth that the proliferation of foreign owners and managers is necessary bad news for the national team. What actually counts is the culture of a football club. Are they serious about the development of local talent? Do they have a manager who will give them a chance? Do they genuinely think that elite footballers can be made as well as bought, even late in their careers? Above all, do they actually believe that it could be an alternative route to success for themselves?
It is necessary to spend only a few minutes at the club’s Marchwood training base, nestled between the most easterly tip of the New Forest and Southampton Water, to understand that the answer to all of these questions is a resounding yes. Southampton are not committing so much energy and resources into developing English talent because they are concerned for Hodgson’s job prospects. It was simply regarded by chairman Nicola Cortese as the most realistic and efficient way to achieve his ambition of propelling the club from the bottom of League One to the Champions League.
Related Articles
Jones thrives as Englishman abroad 10 Nov 2013
Lallana ready for England duty 10 Nov 2013
Southampton 4 Hull City 1 - Saints repay Hodgson's faith 09 Nov 2013
Southampton v Hull City: live text 09 Nov 2013
Premier League action: Nov 9 10 Nov 2013
Premier League table 10 Nov 2013
Cortese and head of football development Les Reed had travelled the world to examine best practice in everything from dance to music all the way back to football. They concluded that, even at a club whose production line does historically boast such quality as Matthew Le Tissier, Alan Shearer, Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott, much more could be done to create an environment for self-improvement.
Cortese stresses that he did not copy any other clubs – “the main thing was to learn from what actually they wouldn’t do again” – but was especially struck by the example of Barcelona’s La Masia academy. If arguably the best club side in football history could be produced on a foundation of local talent, surely Southampton could better themselves with a similar philosophy.
“The academy is very important to become a sustainable business,” Cortese says. “We would want to see a starting XI in the Premier League that is fed from our youth development.”
The club is now working productively at two levels. There is an obvious expectation to succeed in the here and now – manager Mauricio Pochettino has talked regularly of the Champions League being a realistic aim – but also a very clearly defined vision for the future. Much of the £30 million investment in the training ground – due to finish early next year – is focused on improving the facilities for the under-eights.
“We have to create an environment which is a pleasure to come into,” Cortese says. “The facility just provides the basics, it’s what you do within the facility that will make the big difference.” Inside that facility, the playing style is being implemented not from top to bottom but from “bottom to top”, starting with those under-eights.
It is refreshing – but also rather damning – to hear Pochettino provide a far more optimistic analysis of English football than most who have spent years inside our system. Pochettino himself points out how his own playing career developed from one of Argentina’s best youth academies at Newell’s Old Boys. “The future of English football is good,” he says. “English players are technically good, they are brave, daring and they only need to be allowed to show that on the field and that’s our responsibility. I think this club has been a pioneer in bringing up youth players and taking them to the top divisions. Moving forward, that is how we want to proceed, just reinforcing that nucleus of home-grown players from the academy.”
The next batch are already emerging. Defenders Calum Chambers, Matt Targett and Jordan Turnbull are England Under-19 internationals. Central midfielder Harrison Reed as well as wingers Omar Rowe and Jake Sinclair – the brother of Scott – are also causing excitement among academy staff. The point that is repeatedly made by those young players is how critical it is to know that Cortese and Pochettino are so committed to their pathway into the first-team. The training ground buildings have even been designed to give every young player a daily visual reminder of what is possible.
“What we have built here is something that is aspirational,” says Reed. “Each boy can see the journey he is on and where it is possible for him to end up: they see the first team, they see the facilities they use, and they are all invited to watch first team training. That creates an incredible work ethic.”
Ward-Prowse can speak from experience. “We see the pathway that the chairman has put in place for us,” he says. “We know there is a chance for us to play in the first team – it is up to us to go and grab the opportunity.”
What is striking, however, is not just the development of home-grown talent but also how so many senior players from varying backgrounds have transformed themselves at Southampton. It poses a question. If Lambert, Lallana, Rodriguez and perhaps also Nathaniel Clyne can go from the lower leagues to the international stage at Southampton, just how many other young players are failing to reach their potential elsewhere across the country?
As he prepares to swap Marchwood this week for St George’s Park, Rodriguez summed up the excitement. “Words can’t describe how I feel,” he says. “It’s surreal, a dream come true. It just shows the direction we’re going in and the ambition and vision we’ve got.”
The hope for Hodgson – and the FA – is that other clubs hear this and are sufficiently inspired to follow a similar path.

Just a bit more perspective on yesterday's game by Tim Krul, he made the most saves in a single Premier league match (14) since records began seven years ago.

I guess it makes the defeat a bit easier to swallow knowing that we came up against a "once in a career" type performance from the keeper ...but not much 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
What have I just entered here,

Man just enjoy Football, instead of arguing about who the biggest fan and what not,

The US needs all the Football fans it can

I love reading this thread :rofl:

Jada on his high horse about going 25 minutes from his house, what 19 years ago? :rofl:

Son. C'mon.

People arguing about not being real fans. I support Leicester man, My hometown team here in England. We're in the top 2 of the championship and could be playing Premier League Football next year. And yes, if you know about us, or what happened in that play off game last season, you'll see what football does to people. I was there at that game, I cried, over a game. Haha. Stop arguing and enjoy your football.

Jada>

Some of you taking this way to serious.. Jada always provides the lolz to me, dude is the epitome of a gooner. Gave up having real convos with him about his club years ago. Someone mentioned watching a game with him in real life.. I've done this numerous times, he's the same troll that's on here I assure you .. If you notice the people who frequent this thread on the reg don't even take him to heart. It's just jada

Back on topic.. This win means more to us then a loss meant to arsenal. They are still top of the league.. We are all trying to play catch up.. This season has been :pimp:

Yup, tore a muscle in his left thigh. :x Get well soon La Pulga. Maybe someone can get you one of those hyperbaric chambers for Christmas to speed the recovery... :rolleyes

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...el-messi-sidelined-eight-weeks&update?cc=5901

I actually look at this as a possible opportunity though. Playing Neymar centrally & perhaps putting Tello on the left side. Should spell more opportunities for Iniesta also (with Cesc playing an even bigger role).

Maybe this also means Sergi will play more too. It's time we see what he has so we can figure out what he's capable of especially with Denis Suarez supposedly coming over to the first team next year.

Last edited:
Just a bit more perspective on yesterday's game by Tim Krul, he made the most saves in a single Premier league match (14) since records began seven years ago.
I guess it makes the defeat a bit easier to swallow knowing that we came up against a "once in a career" type performance from the keeper ...but not much :lol:

He also played with the sun in his face all game too. He really was making some amazing saves yesterday. I was really impressed. I mean he even had a second & third follow-up save attempts that were all on point. One of the best goalie performances I've ever seen.

When that happened I was astonished that he let Lloris stay in the game.

Obviously Lloris is going to say he's good to go, he barely even knows his own name at that point. You can't trust a player who has just had his brain rattled to make a decision like that when they clearly aren't thinking clearly. :smh:

I'll agree with Beans, Jada is just getting y'all nerved up for no reason, taking it too serious. He's the grumpy old uncle in this forum like I keep saying, he embraces it.

Although that World Cup radio contest line was hilarious.

Seriously tho, let's not turn this into the NBA thread. Please. And stop saying "typical" Arsenal fan, I know Arsenal fans who are objective and reasonable. Every group of supporters has there ultras, just the way it is.

When that happened I was astonished that he let Lloris stay in the game.

Obviously Lloris is going to say he's good to go, he barely even knows his own name at that point. You can't trust a player who has just had his brain rattled to make a decision like that when they clearly aren't thinking clearly. :smh:

Any footballer worth his salt will want to go back into the game but it's up to the manager to take charge of the situation not only for the best interest of the player, but the club too. What good would Lloris be later on if he starts have post concussion syndrome? What's even more dangerous is if Lloris experienced another concussion. It's amazing that we saw 2 knockouts in successive weeks that were just horrible to see.

Whoa Messi is out for a while.

Wonder if Tata will place Neymar in his CF role with Alexis and Pedro in the sides or if he puts Fabregas as the false 9.

Barca will be alright tho, more than enough talent.

:lol:

EyeSeeSoles - for some reason your smiley reaction to Messi's injury & the gif in your avy seem to be working hand in hand...

Barca will be fine. In fact, I'm a little intrigued/excited about the possibilities.

Messi will definitely be needed however for the later stages of the CL. His absence last year was clearly felt.

Last edited:
U guys think the messi injury changes the balon d'or voting for Ronnie to win it?

Or messi still is the favorite?

Or someone from bayern after the treble?

I think if Ronnie keeps even at 85% of his current form that he deserves it.

I'm not sure how the voting is done for the Ballon d'Or. Regardless of the Messi injury, Ronnie should be the front runner. It would be a travesty if he didn't win. Having said that, I think Ribery will win it. I think Sepp & his croonies have already decided that.

Man, this is really intriguing. This should be & could be on par with Chariots Of Fire or a sports film of that ilk if done right... I hope they don't eff this up because Edson Arantes do Nascimento's story is as epic as it gets. Not just sports wise...

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/pele-biopic-brazil-1200806382/

First Look: ‘Pele’ Biopic Shoots in Brazil (EXCLUSIVE)

View media item 650136
NOVEMBER 7, 2013 | 03:19PM PT
Marcelo Cajueiro

Brazilian Edson Arantes do Nascimento — better known to the world as Pele — scored 1,283 goals in his career and is the only player who was on teams that won the World Cup three times. He also stopped a civil war in Belgian Congo in 1969 as the combatants wanted to watch him play, and during the 1966 World Cup in England got a phone call from the Beatles’ manager Brian Epstein offering an exclusive Beatles’ performance for the Brazilian team. He was politely refused.

The story of the poor Brazilian kid from the Tres Coracoes hamlet who became the King of Soccer and a global legend will finally be told in an English-language feature for the world market in “Pele.” The biopic will focus on Pele’s rise from a young boy to his first World Cup victory in 1958.

But the film is a U.S. production from Imagine Entertainment and Seine Pictures, with Rio de Janeiro city film agency RioFilme a co-producer; it invested $1 million in the production. Exclusive Media is handling international sales. It’s helmed by brothers Michael Zimbalist and Jeff Zimbalist, who are not new to Latin America, having helmed and produced the Emmy-nominated “The Two Escobars”; Jeff Zimbalist had lived in Rio, where he co-helmed doc “Favela Rising.”

They are aiming to open the pic right before the FIFA World Cup in Brazil next year. The tournament kicks off June 12 and runs through July 13.

“Pele” began lensing in and around Rio Sept. 30 and is expected to wrap this month. The cast includes both Brazilian amateur and pro actors, comprising most of the soccer players’ roles, and international thesps, such as Vincent D’Onofrio, who portrays Brazilian team head coach Vicente Feola, and Diego Boneta as player Mazzola.

Amateur actors Kevin de Paula, a Brazilian soccer player, will play Pele from age 13-17, while Leonardo Lima Carvalho will play him at age 10.

At age 15 Pele turned pro and just 10 months later was drafted for the national team. At 17, Pele played for Brazil in the 1958 World Cup in Sweden. Pele led the team to victory over the host country, scoring two goals in Brazil’s 5-2 win.

The Zimbalist brothers said they opted to concentrate on Pele’s early life for dramatic reasons: “It was the birth of the legend that parallels the birth of the Brazilian national identity, coming off the 1950 (World Cup) loss (to Uruguay) in Maracana stadium,” Michael Zimbalist told Variety on the film set.

“Pele” is centered on the relationship between the soccer great and his father, Joao Ramos do Nascimento, known as Dondinho, a mediocre soccer player played in the pic by Brazilian actor and singer Seu Jorge.

“This is not just a soccer movie. This is a story about a boy who followed his passion and dream, and whose talent went on to change the world. It is a father/son story, about believing in yourself, teamwork and overcoming challenges. It is the story of the Brazilian people, their unique spirit, and the origins of their rise to becoming a soccer superpower,” producer Ivan Orlic told Variety.

Back
Top Bottom