The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Manchester United's Champions League chances written off by new boss David Moyes
28 Sep 2013 22:31
"To win it, you have to have five or six world-class players. We’ve not got that" admits manager as West Brom win at Old Trafford

David Moyes has urged Manchester United’s fans to keep the faith after a defeat to West Brom that saw a section of the Old Trafford faithful turn on the ­champions.

Moyes’ flops were jeered off after goals by Morgan Amalfitano and Saido Berahino had given the Baggies their first win on United soil in 35 years.

United’s third defeat in six games makes it their worst start to a season since 1989 - and leaves the Premier League champions slumped in mid-table, three points above the relegation zone.

But Moyes came out fighting.

Asked what message he wanted to send to the fans, he said: “Support your team and club. In football, there is no ­guarantee that you are going to win games.

“This is a great club and we have a great team - and the fans can be sure that we will do everything to put this right.

“I am concerned - but only because we aren’t playing well. There’s a lot of games left and it isn’t because of a lack of trying.

“It was a poor performance and a poor result. I can’t argue that West Brom were the better team and deserved their victory.

“After beating Liverpool in midweek, I wanted us to gain some momentum. But we lacked any spark. We had a lot of possession in the first half, but just didn’t create enough chances.”

Moyes and United head to Ukraine to take on Shakhtar Donetsk in the ­Champions League this week.

And Moyes has already warned that the squad he inherited from Sir Alex Ferguson might be the reigning champions of England - but aren’t good enough to conquer Europe.

Moyes said: “To win the Champions League you have to have five or six world-class players.

“If you look at Bayern Munich, they have five or six really ­world-class players, and to win it you might have to have that in your squad.

“Look at Barcelona, who had it in the past, and Real Madrid have maybe got it now.

“That’s the level you have to get at to win it. We’ve not got that yet. What we have got is experience and several players who are in that category or close to it.”

Baggies boss Steve Clarke was without eight players through injury, and then saw Scott Sinclair limp off to be replaced by Berahino after just 13 minutes at Old Trafford.

But Amalfitano put Albion ahead with a sensational solo effort after 54 minutes.

Although Wayne Rooney levelled with a fortuitous free-kick four minutes later, England Under-21 international Berahino won it for the Baggies with a spectacular winner in the 67th minute.

There were some grumblings of discontent among the home fans when he replaced Shinji Kagawa with teenager Adnan Januzaj at half-time after giving the Japanese midfielder a rare run-out.

Moyes added: “I thought Adnan did well when he came on – even if he was a bit nervous at first.

“We wanted Shinji to feel like he’s getting an opportunity to show what he can do.”

Moyes added: “West Brom deserved their win.

“They were well organised at the back and going forward they always carried a threat. What I’m looking for now is a response. We will sort it out.”

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...hampions-league-chances-2314775#ixzz2gHZQSWdt
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

The Champions league statement is the truth even though he shouldn't have publicly stated it, it's the truth. My biggest problem with the article is the underlined and bold part, it doesn't seem apologetic in tone rather defiant almost like expect us to lose a lot more. For the life of me, I don't understand why on earth Rooney would want to sign an extension if this continues.

In other news, I want to take in more Bundesliga games particularly BVB.

*steps up to podium and taps into mic*

I have absolutely had it with this clown. Before this man took charge, I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of what he's done with limited resources at Everton. But I've had enough. This dude has zero plan B. He has no clue how to operate a big club. His experience is based on keeping a team in the top 10. That is simply NOT good enough for a club like United. He's saying United don't have 5 or 6 world class players. While this may be true Mr Moyes, who did you want to purchase? Baines and Fellaini? Last I checked, neither of them are Champions League playing World Class players. Even when you do have a World Class player (Kagawa), you bench him for ages, play him out of his position and then complain that he's not good enough. It's absolutely laughable watching Moyes out there.

So Far:

1. Kagawa is either not played, or played out of position.
  2. Ferdinand has been given a guaranteed start even when he's been in poor form.
  3. Zaha, Chicharito, Nani, Januzaj, Smalling have all been put on the back burner.
  4. There has been a style implemented of long balls and crosses in to no success.
  5. How Tom Cleverley, Anderson and Ashley Young even get game time is still a mystery to me.
  6. The transfer market was in absolute shambles.

And yet, this guy wants to blame this on the players? :smh: This guy could have the entire Bayern Munich midfield at his disposal and still not qualify for CL.

I read somewhere that Moyes never wants to play youth, and always goes to old experienced players. Surely this is the only reason why Rio Ferdinand gets a guaranteed start every week. How many times am I going to watch players breeze right past Ferdinand before he starts getting benched? Everton fans have been saying if you're waiting for Moyes to improve or change, you you'll die waiting cause this is what you get with Moyes, it's what they always had.

The truth is, United shouldn't even be focussed on winning the CL. The focus should be on attempting to transition smoothly and win the league. That's it. United were not perfect at the end of last season, but they were a decent platform to start with. What really needed strengthening was the midfield, and a bit of cover. And in that situation what was done? 1 x 27m pound midfielder, of which was overpaid.

Mark my words, this guy will get sacked. Those sponsorship commitments are no joke, and if you start defaulting on those you're in real trouble, cause that's what's paying for the debt of the Glazers.

*drops mic and walks off to have a drink*

Cliffs:

-Moyes never was and never will be good enough for the job.

Last edited:
That Bony assist :smokin

9985182985_e20a16b479_o.gif

I agree with shinji not getting enough time but to play him in his "natural" position you would have to move Rooney. The form he's currently showing it would be dumb to do that. After going back and looking he doesn't play number 10 role for japan either (Honda does).. He actually plays left wing, which works perfectly for japan. Only difference is he has no defensive role for japan and is just expected to play freely. With evra pushing forward (moyes likes this) kagawa will have to learn to provide coverage. Shinji is world class and will need to add this element to his game , in the long run it will make him a better player and midfielder. Think about it, one of rooneys best contributes is he tracks back to pick up play, if shinji is to fill that role he will need to provide the same. Epl is very different to bund lg in that it requires more defensive minded players to an extent. Also I watched the game again and shinji was average/poor .. Has more to do with lack of minutes in this system but moyes was warranted taking him off. He does need more minutes but will not get it playing that way. Now as it goes to Rio he has a bad game, but Carrick and Anderson did him no favors protection wise... If I'm moyes I'm worried about Carricks slump in form. He also got it wrong with Anderson starting over fellaini but I think CL selection forced his hand. Nothing wrong with a good rotation, but this was too much. Buttner is not cutting it for me and should be on his way out.. Either loan him out for rest of year (hope constant playing time will improve him) or cut your losses before he becomes another Macheda.

Last edited:
This Liverpool kit is made even worse once you realize they have one black/white and one purple/white sock. :lol: :x

He's baaack...

Of all Sturridge did on that play, the first touch to take that ball down so cleanly was :pimp:

Jozy is never going to score :lol:

Should have stayed in Holland. No one knows how to pass him the ball.

David de Gea 'trained poorly' and 'ate too many tacos', says coach
• Eric Steele says De Gea initially struggled at United
• Former goalkeeping coach also says nothing fazes De Gea
David-de-Gea-of-Mancheste-008.jpg

'We had him in the gym a lot. He hated it,' says the former Old Trafford coach Eric Steele of David de Gea, above. Photograph: Michael Mayhew/Sportsphoto Ltd/Allstar
David de Gea's struggles adapting to life in England are laid bare in a revealing interview that offers a rare insight into the problems the Manchester United goalkeeper has encountered and the frustrations he caused their coaching staff.

Eric Steele, the goalkeeping coach widely credited with De Gea's improvement, talks about a goalkeeper who is "lazy" when it comes to learning English and initially had a habit of "training poorly", as well as eating "too many tacos". Asked whether the player is now more settled in Manchester, after intermittent rumours of him wanting to return to Spain, Steele says the 22-year-old understands he is at a good club but there are "still issues".

Steele left Old Trafford after David Moyes's appointment in the summer, having been instrumental in De Gea's development since Sir Alex Ferguson signed him from Atlético Madrid for £17.8m two years earlier. His pride is apparent as he talks of the Spaniard's transformation into the goalkeeper voted on to the Professional Footballers' Association team of the year last season. "Calmness, composure and inner strength. Nothing fazes him. Playing in front of 76,000? No problem. Very few possess that."

Yet Steele, an almost paternal figure for De Gea, openly admits the goalkeeper has had considerable issues at Old Trafford. "His first six months were horrendous," he says. "One issue with him was that he was just 71 kilos. We worked with him on and off the field to make him more powerful. We changed his lifestyle. He would finish training and want to go home. When I told him to come back in the afternoon he'd ask: 'Why?'

"There were lifestyle issues. He'd sleep two or three times a day. He'd have his main meal late at night. He'd eat too many tacos. We pushed protein drinks on him straight after training. We physically made him drink. We had him in the gym a lot. He hated it. They don't do the gym in Spain as much. We needed to build his core strength."

De Gea, according to Steele, could "be very solemn in training, he was always better in a group. Solemn because he was tired, mentally and physically. I told him he needed to train better, that he was on show every day. There were times in his first season when he trained poorly. I told him that players made decisions for managers, not the other way around. That he should be first, not last out for training."

Steele goes to explain why he started taking Spanish lessons rather than relying on De Gea to improve his English. "We needed to be able to communicate with each other straight away, even if it was just the basic terms. David is lazy in his desire to learn English. So I learned. I kept telling him to work on his English."

De Gea, he says, is "well-liked" at Old Trafford, a "part of the Hispanic set with their own sense of humour", and is still taking English lessons. He identifies the turning point as a save against Juan Mata during a 3-3 draw at Stamford Bridge, seven months into his first season, and there is praise for Ferguson for persevering with him. "Fans criticised him [De Gea]. The media, too. But the manager stuck by him and protected him in the media. He knew he had a long-term asset. He was only 19 and that was a risk, but the manager had been to watch him with me and knew how good he was."

De Gea has subsequently been linked with a return to Spain amid rumours of homesickness. "I heard the speculation," Steele tells the latest edition of United We Stand fanzine, published before the 2-1 defeat against West Brom. "I told him not to get sidetracked, that if he did well at United then he'd have a great career. I said: 'Who would you go back to? One of the big two. Would you want to go to Real, rivals of Atlético?' No. It would have to be Barcelona, but he sees that United has been good for him. He captained Spain Under-21s in the summer off the back of his United form. He's going to be with the seniors now in a country with the best goalkeepers in the world."

To the question ofwhether De Gea is more settled now, Steele replies: "Yes, but there are still issues. He's living in a huge house with his mum and dad. He's got a beautiful girlfriend who lives in Barcelona. We pushed him to move on his own. Living with your parents helps and hinders."

Who hasn't been guilty of too many tacos, tho?

Suarez changed messages at halftime. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom