the thread about nothing...

This day is feeling dumb long 
sick.gif

2015 has been a crazy year for me, but it's all coming to a great close. Start a great new gig Monday, working on fixing things w/ the wife, my kids are in great health, and possibly even moving down south w/ the wife in June/July 2016. The man upstairs has a great sense of humor and a great way of showing you what's truly important in life.
glad to see it's working out 
nthat.gif

How do u guys invest your money?

Knowing i have time before i need this money and i have a high risk tolerance : ETFs or mutual funds for me.

Really depends on your situation (objectives, personal / financial circumstances, time horizon, tolerance risk...)

where can you be as knowledgable as you in this stuff :nerd:

I'm a banker. That's what i do :lol:

My fault I meant how can i be as knowledgeable as u. do u have any rec of forums or sites I should visit?

Last edited:
This year was probably one of the best of my life. Grades are better as ever, all of my friends are home, I'm going out the house more, and I'm in my first non-toxic relationship. I never though life could be this sweet. :pimp:

Knowing i have time before i need this money and i have a high risk tolerance : ETFs or mutual funds for me.

Really depends on your situation (objectives, personal / financial circumstances, time horizon, tolerance risk...)

where can you be as knowledgable as you in this stuff :nerd:

I'm a banker. That's what i do :lol:

My fault I meant how can i be as knowledgeable as u. do u have any rec of forums or sites I should visit?

I've read alot of stuff on financial independence and investing the the market. I dont really have any forums or site i visit frequently because i have all the info i want at work. Also being around financial planners, brokers, CFAs, etc all the time, i'm always in that "world"

^^^This

Though if you're investing long-term and don't wanna have to ever worry about touching anything, just look up the symbol "VOO" (those are 'oh's, not 'Zero's; Vanguard S&P 500 ETF). It's low fee, and basically just invests in a fund made up of the entire S&P 500. (***EDIT: Completely forgot to mention it pays dividends, too, meaning you make a few bucks per share per quarter on top of it's regular gains. Make sure whatever ETF you buy is "dividend-paying.")

Over a nice stretch of time (5yrs+) you'll do well. Over an extended period of time (10-20yrs), you'll kill it. Don't worry about day-to-day fluctuations. When you see the market's moving, you're already too late to do anything to make/save money.

The most important thing to remember is never sell when a market tanks. BUY when the market tanks.

The second most important thing is to remember you'll pay capital gains taxes (a tax on your profits) pretty much any time you sell, so you want to roll the investments into tax-advantaged retirement vehicles (like an IRA) one day. Don't just cash out, you'll get piped by the IRS.

And finally, don't ever, EVER, go to any seminars, lectures, "classes" or house parties that promise to "teach you the secrets of investing." They're almost all sales traps or pyramid schemes.

Check out Morningstar.com or Motley Fool - they're great resources for noobs, and relatively independent.

Good luck, and always do your homework - TWICE - before investing in anything.

Last edited:
Don't waste your time learning how to invest. Seriously. Use that time to learn how to increase your income (e.g., improve Excel skills vs. read investment books). Unless you have over 500k to invest (or want to do it full time) you get a much better return investing on yourself.

Use betterment.com or wealthfront and let them invest for you. Least expensive, best way if you do a direct deposit monthly.

That's it. They do it all for you.

Last edited:
Don't waste your time learning how to invest. Seriously. Use that time to learn how to increase your income (e.g., improve Excel skills vs. read investment books). Unless you have over 500k to invest (or want to do it full time) you get a much better return investing on yourself.

Use betterment.com or wealthfront and let them invest for you. Least expensive, best way if you do a direct deposit monthly.

That's it. They do it all for you.

From front to back, you pretty much hit the nail on the head there. I think people like the idea of investing more than they're actually willing to learn about it and mold their strategies to be parallel with there objectives.

Nice advices in here for investment.

The important thing is that you dont need to have all the knowledge to invest with products like ETFs. You just need to know your objective and stick to it. And make sure the investment is suitable for your objective. Then you let it sleep and worry about it after.

Nobody cares about day to day when the goal is longer term.

Basic knowledge + good vehicule + right govt program to same/defer on taxes = you're good.

Then you can learn on the side too for personal info

cute dog...repped

Dogs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fish>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gerbals>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>snakes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cats

Back
Top Bottom