The Oscars: 2024's 96th Academy Awards, 7:00pm March 10th ABC

Genuine question - do you prefer trigger warnings if you were at a comedy show? There'd be no way a comedian knows the history of every single attendee

for me, nah.. although I could see the value in letting people know what’s coming.. like an amusement park ride, give people an idea of what to expect

but for example, I wouldn’t expect to go see a white comedian and when speaking directly to me to start throwing around the N word and saying other racists shh

i would think any reasonable person would view that as lines being crossed.. I’m signing up to be entertained, not outright insulted

This totally depends on who you slapping.

Pretending it always leads to an escalation of violence is a falsehood.

The fools wildin thread is filled with thousands of videos of somebody going too far then getting beat up/slapped up/checked and put in their place.

You cant really believe it always ends up one way.

And ppl have done 1000× worse and aint damn thing happened to them as far as consequences.

Why risk it? Over a joke no less.

Everyone trying to take the context out of what happened should just sit out. This isn't the streets, the hood, the playground, nothing. Frame your defense of Will Smith in terms of comedy. Jada, and pleeeenty of female celebrities have been rocking the bald look. I'd almost wager more people than not in the general public assumed it was just her look at that time.

Patrice O'Neal has jokes for days about Asian people. He says them loud and clear on stage. I think Patrice O'Neal is the GOAT even though I am Asian.
If some random dude said that in a setting that's not a comedy club? Sure, we'd have problems. This situation ain't it.
No one is taking the context out of anything. Its NOT about comedy. A man felt another man (repeatedly) disrespected his woman and he dealt with it. Tbh, there is no one on the internet that can say what Will should’ve felt or what he should’ve done. You aint say the joke and its wasn’t about your wife. All you can say is what you would’ve done. Some of us wouldn’t have did anything. Cool. Some of us come from “high stress areas” where that aint gonna float. It is what it is. Just realize everyone doesn’t have that fear of the inevitable and there are no “safe places” out here. Everyone aint playing by these imaginary rules. Folks catching fades at church, so idk where they’re at has anything to do with anything. Was Will wrong? Maybe. Was getting slapped in the mouth a possible outcome for making fun of someone? Most definitely.

You act like Chris was doing some tiktok challenge walking up to random people suffering with illnesses and making jokes at their expense.

nah.. I am acting like Chris didn’t do his homework and told a joke about someone to millions of people on a subject matter I don’t think is funny

it is not something I would want viewed in a joking manner to anyone in my life, so I am not surprised someone else would feel that way.. empathy is a great thing

she spoke of her illness on a public forum, the information wasn’t that hard to find

1 quick google search and you can find out why her hair is so short

Was Will wrong? Maybe.
This is literally the only thing people were arguing. Nobody is trying to tell Will what he should've been offended by, or whether or not **** goes down over jokes. Everyone's seen glocks pulled out over nothing.
Only thing people are saying is violence wasn't warranted in that setting. If Will Smith wasn't Will Smith he might've forfeited a bright future and ability to provide a living for his family over a joke. That's literally all people are saying. Nothing else you said is being debated.

I still can't tell if you think Will's actions were wrong or right, but that's the only thing that we're debating (or I am at least).

Edit: Just because you mentioned it, I still don't think Will felt his wife was disrespected or he wouldn't have laughed. I still think he felt he had to do that to earn his wife's respect. Different things. That's just my opinion on the motivation

Why risk it? Over a joke no less.
Again, its on the individual. Some think its worth it, some don't. Word to Chris stopping himself from saying something else.

Will was all out of character doing that at every moment but he did it and then tried to justify it after winning.
No one is taking the context out of anything. Its NOT about comedy. A man felt another man (repeatedly) disrespected his woman and he dealt with it. Tbh, there is no one on the internet that can say what Will should’ve felt or what he should’ve done. You aint say the joke and its wasn’t about your wife. All you can say is what you would’ve done. Some of us wouldn’t have did anything. Cool. Some of us come from “high stress areas” where that aint gonna float. It is what it is. Just realize everyone doesn’t have that fear of the inevitable and there are no “safe places” out here. Everyone aint playing by these imaginary rules. Folks catching fades at church, so idk where they’re at has anything to do with anything. Was Will wrong? Maybe. Was getting slapped in the mouth a possible outcome for making fun of someone? Most definitely.
You about to be accused of defending Will with your reality based view.

What other time did Chris disrespect Jada? I keep reading Chris was bullying her and I've been wondering about the other stuff I'm not aware of.

will been the face of non violence, Non problematic, super nice family man. slapped one dude & dem people up here making him see like an emotionally crazed lunatic out here :lol:

Imagine what happens to a regular *****

Will openly admitted to wanting to murder his father because of his propensity for domestic violence.

Just because bro wrote “Parents Just Don’t Understand” and was the Fresh Prince doesn’t mean there aren’t things beneath the surface that can occasionally come out.

Add the very public entanglement nonsense and his very obvious pain in response to that public discussion and it isn’t far fetched to assume that Will’s emotions might be prone to misalignment every now and then.

I'm pretty sure this all stems from Chris Rock making a joke at the Oscars a few years ago, when Will & Jada boycotted it because of the Oscars so White thing.
Something along the lines of you can't boycott something you weren't invited to.
Bad look for Chris at that moment to me. Like black folks trying to take a stand and advance in their field and he makes fun of it at their expense for white comfort.

I could this perhaps being the reason why he didn’t retaliate.

Last edited:
nah.. I am acting like Chris didn’t do his homework and told a joke about someone to millions of people on a subject matter I don’t think is funny

it is not something I would want viewed in a joking manner to anyone in my life, so I am not surprised someone else would feel that way.. empathy is a great thing

she spoke of her illness on a public forum, the information wasn’t that hard to find

1 quick google search and you can find out why her hair is so short
Why are yall trying to police comedians? This is insane! If a joke isn't funny then don't laugh at it. Chris Rock ain't gotta go through all this BS of researching people before he makes a joke. :smh:

and tough guy., you better be living your raps

keep a tally and report back on all the people you slap on account of your hurt feelings.

Mans might come back in another form saying “you were right” :lol:
1648672330961.gif

Why are yall trying to police comedians? This is insane! If a joke isn't funny then don't laugh at it. Chris Rock ain't gotta go through all this BS of researching people before he makes a joke. :smh:

who trying police comedians?

feel free to say whatever you want and that goes for anyone, but don’t be shocked if there are consequences

if you’re white, feel free to say the N word.. but don’t be shocked if someone responds

maybe you should be shocked if Chris rock responds

I'm pretty sure this all stems from Chris Rock making a joke at the Oscars a few years ago, when Will & Jada boycotted it because of the Oscars so White thing.
Something along the lines of you can't boycott something you weren't invited to.

Exactly. But also because Chris made a comment on wills Twitter... It was wills baby mama bday aka treys mom and will said I love you your the best baby mama ever... and Chris replied wow you have the most understanding wife...baby mama replied don't be a hater

Back
Top Bottom