The Oscars: 2024's 96th Academy Awards, 7:00pm March 10th ABC

Posts them

That's pointless exercise given that given we are communicating via forum posts.
anything I could post people can respond with "that's not funny" while they chuckle away at home. :lol:

The point is people want to make all these rules about what is and isn't permissible and people are rarely consistent about it.

You can look at the most recent example, with the Chappelle controversy.

Dave applied the same comedic lens and style he applied to every other subject and minority group
and a bunch of people that were cool with all the other jokes, are now offended.

which of course is their right,
but it's not some consistently applied principle.

You ever watch Dave Chappelle?
Yes, but not much. I get he cracks jokes on white people, but I don't find humor, it's whatever. I know racist jokes are a tightrope to walk on. They don't always work out.

If a bald joke about the wife who's made his husband out to be a **** at the Oscars is where you draw the line, you must be against nearly every famous black comedian ever.

That's pointless exercise given that given we are communicating via forum posts.
anything I could post people can respond with "that's not funny" while they chuckle away at home. :lol:

The point is people want to make all these rules about what is and isn't permissible and people are rarely consistent about it.

You can look at the most recent example, with the Chappelle controversy.

Dave applied the same comedic lens and style he applied to every other subject and minority group
and a bunch of people that were cool with all the other jokes, are now offended.

which of course is their right,
but it's not some consistently applied principle.
So you claim to have data points that would so the hole is someone's argument

But presenting them would be pointless because given we are on a forum people would obviously be dishonest and not admit you are of course right.

Gotcha

Like I get you to point on an individual level, and where the line is draw is a bit hazy the closer you come to it, ok sure. But on a macro level, I think people still know some subjects they know that will spark massive backlash.

So once again, this is just bickering about where the line is, not about if one exists. Like people on the other side of the Chappelle argument show a ton of hypocrisy about people taking jokes in stride. Dave included.

So generally I am not very sympathetic to these claims that there are all these great jokes out there that as being suppressed and not given their due.

Last edited:
You never laughed at prime Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, race stuff
all that stuff was just totally unfunny to you?
Nah, the racist type jokes I tend to look down on. The comedian wants to make a point through the joke though.

So you claim to have data points that would so the hole is someone's argument

But presenting them would be pointless because given we are on a forum people would obviously be dishonest and not admit you are of course right.

Gotcha

lolwut?

Do you think im making a point about homeboys specific sense of humour?
no i was making a broader claim about people in general.

so I gave an example of the phenomena im describing that encompases way more people
than one random NTer

but if you want to fixate on this one specific data point as some kind of lawyerly debaters trick go ahead.

fine maybe he is a perfectly consistent comedy analysis robot , you got me :lol:

Nah, the racist type jokes I tend to look down on. The comedian wants to make a point through the joke though.
I think the point is you've just proven how wishy-washy your own yardstick of acceptability is, and that's totally fine. Just don't go around imposing what you think is acceptable and justifying people getting hit if other people have a different standard than you

Yes. Many b/s disingenuous public statements have been made by celebrities. Not a novel concept.

Those celebrities likely made those statements because they were in the wrong, regardless of how they felt in their heart. If they were right, no need for a public apology.

Only Will knows how he truly feels about the situation in his heart and its a fools endeavor to try to guess his real feelings.

Im not debating where the line is,

All i'm saying is where ever you want to place it,
you can't act like it so obvious to everyone.

a fair minded person can think the Jada joke was offensive,
a fair minded person can think it was fine.

wherever you wanna draw it is up to you,
ut it's important to remember its always going to seem clearer to the offended person.

Also...people watch white comedians?
Ricky Gervais, Bill Burr, Jimmy Carr, Jim Gaffigan...

... yes. And anyone who wants to google them, I'll save you the trouble: Every single one of them either has a skeleton in their closet that you can discredit them over or a tasteless joke that you can quote and say "Wait, this is funny?" Aaaaand that also holds true for every single comedian, celebrity, athlete, all of them.

There is no perfect; there is only what you ignore, what you accept, and what you don't know about.

-foe

tend to?
so you tend to look down, but not always?
I think the point is you've just proven how wishy-washy your own yardstick of acceptability is, and that's totally fine. Just don't go around imposing what you think is acceptable and justifying people getting hit if other people have a different standard than you
I think yall are taking me 100% literally and seriously. Not imposing by force, just suggesting racism. As in serious negative discriminatory ways. People gonna take certain racist jokes a bad way because they take it too serious. Understandable. I just like to switch the topic.

1648569049894.gif

lolwut?

Do you think im making a point about homeboys specific sense of humour?
no i was making a broader claim about people in general.

so I gave an example of the phenomena im describing that encompases way more people
than one random NTer

but if you want to fixate on this one specific data point as some kind of lawyerly debaters trick go ahead.

fine maybe he is a perfectly consistent comedy analysis robot , you got me :lol:

I asked you a specific question. In your response you wanted to circle back to your general point (something I didn't ask you about) now you have an issue with me responding based on what I specifically asked. You made a specific claim in about you knowing certain jokes. To say such a thing you either have special insight into dude's sense of humor (which I assume you do not), or you think you know jokes on those subjects you feel at least a median+1 majority of people would find funny (which is that I assumed)

So I asked you to post them. When you handwave it and just repeated yourself, and kinda just I pointed that out.

You said you had jokes, post them. Let us hear these banger sexual assault jokes.

You said it would be pointless because of course someone would lie. Erasing the possibility that these bangers of jokes might not be found funny, because as you said comedy is subjective.

I asked you something specific, and you handwaved it and repeated yourself. Now you are acting as if I just didn't comprehend your argument, or can't address it so I have to resort to some "lawyerly debaters trick".

And go check my post again, I even addressed your general point too.

I think I have been consistent in saying people/comedians should just stop whining and say their ******* jokes and deal with the backlash. Instead of constantly complaining about what creates the backlash.

So post the jokes.

And ******* miss me with this ****

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom