**The Official Rick Ross Appreciation Thread PART 2: "God Forgives, I Don’t" THE ALBUM**

the hottest rapper in the game only sold 215k

rap music is in trouble
Why does that mean music is in trouble?

I swear fans/consumers don't know their place man. 
mean.gif

Do you work at a label or in the industry? Do you make music? Dudes really think because they follow soundscan charts that it makes them A&Rs and people who have an impact on the music industry. 

Support what you want and promote what you want...you being worried about the state of "music" makes it seem like you have a vested stake in it.

Don't take this the wrong way...I just get kinda annoyed reading stuff like this.

I mean ya'll are really in here carrying the crucifix uphill for debates on artist viability, album sales, and marketing strategies instead of enjoying the music itself. 

I guess thats what we get for them making you all feel like you matter more than you really do. The music industry really has made people think they're experts on a topic so few really understand AND go through great lengths to prove it even while lacking a literal stake in the dilemma. 

Last edited:
didn't adele damn near go diamond

mumford and sons and dave matthews dropping this year , you can chalk up two more platinum albums

gaga , taylor swift , buble , groban etc alot good artist are going plat

in a time where u really ONLY purchase albums

to support the artist , music is doing just fine brah

I dont even know what that means. Cause obviously Jeezy is on another level career wise
Im just pointing out the fact that this internet branding with fake numbers and fake movements dont really translate to real sales.
Ross has yet to headline his own tour. You cant fake a tour turnout.
You can fake 2 million followers tho. You can fake being busy by putting out vlogs tho. You can fake your "era" by putting out hella songs tho. Being political and sending out fruit baskets can get taste makers on yo **** too.
No hate from me just pointing out the obvious

i agree this man knows what he is talking about

def jam buying everybody albums so we don't really know what the deal is 
but if def jam buying ross album then this is some crazy stuff cus they keep signing him
to 7 figure deals and he's dropped 8 albums in 6 years (5 solo 3 compilation)
so it's very odd to say the least and it seems like bad business on their part

The compilations are on Warner Brothers, not Def Jam.

Where have you seen that they "keep signing him to 7 figure deals"? Ross may have said it, but that doesn't make it so.

I would imagine, at best, those 5 albums are off of his first deal and maybe one re-signing. Most initial contracts will be at least 2 albums, as many as 5 or even more.

Def Jam is making money off his downloads. Ross puts out enough records that each generate enough sales to be profitable. He's a download artist. Not an album driver.

If they're doing some funny business on his albums to drive them to #1 on Soundscan, they still aren't losing money on his project.

Without there being a trace of dope boy authenticity in his music, Rick Ross has pulled off the greatest feat in the history of hip hop. He singlehandedly changed hip-hop’s motto from “Keep It Real” to “It’s Just Entertainment.”

http://thewellversed.com/2012/08/09/opinion-hip-hop-forgives-rick-ross-i-dont/

Damn...I never really thought about it. But he's right. During the 90s, "keeping it real" was a term undoubtedly coined and uttered amongst the hip hop community.

Last edited:
Damn...I never really thought about it. But he's right. During the 90s, "keeping it real" was a term undoubtedly coined and uttered amongst the hip hop community.

I'ma take a step back though.

IMO Lil Wayne really set the precedence and laid the path for "Its only entertainment" rappers like Ross and Plies to exist. I can't think of another rapper before him who was faking it, both on and off the mic, as much as Wayne did and was still able to be accepted by the hip hop community. Not saying he was the first rapper to lie or fabricated his story, but he was more blatant and more successful than anybody else.

Basically, if Wayne had got checked back in the early 2000's things would be different today.

I'ma take a step back though.

IMO Lil Wayne really set the precedence and laid the path for "Its only entertainment" rappers like Ross and Plies to exist. I can't think of another rapper before him who was faking it, both on and off the mic, as much as Wayne did and was still able to be accepted by the hip hop community. Not saying he was the first rapper to lie or fabricated his story, but he was more blatant and more successful than anybody else.

Basically, if Wayne had got checked back in the early 2000's things would be different today.
Kissing men, still rapping about killin dudes in the name of his "blood ties".
but if dudes started hating on wayne when he started to blow, everyone would have claimed that it's just "southern rap hating"

Last edited:
Rappers been fabricating stories FOREVER. It's just been entertainment FOREVER. I've been listening to rap since the mid 80's and I don't remember a time where you had to be the person you rapped about.

No one cared that Special Ed wasn't some rich dude that owned parts of island nations.

No one cared that Dr. Dre and Ice Cube weren't gangsters that wet dudes up with AK-47's and straight trippin with their Nina's

No one cared that Nas wasn't a drug kingpin

No one cared that Ice T wasn't a cop killer

No one cared that a 13 year old Mister Malik wasn't actually wetting dudes up with the biscuit

No one cared that Prodigy wasn't some cold blooded killer

It's always been entertainment. Dudes acting more high and mighty about "authenticity" now more than ever.

^^Blame the internet. Now you got the ability to pull rap sheets online. You can watch Youtube videos of dudes from your favorite rappers neighborhood pulling his card. You can see pics of old ladies holding the snatched chain of your favorite rapper. Back in the 90s it was just too damn hard to find out the truth so people just ran with it. These days, EVERYTHING can be verified and quantified.

Pac wasnt a thug and Violetta said BIG wasnt a violent person or killer at all

Word to that pic of Pac with the blond Khalifa strip in his fade w the tight tank top

Both still made dope music

^^Blame the internet. Now you got the ability to pull rap sheets online. You can watch Youtube videos of dudes from your favorite rappers neighborhood pulling his card. You can see pics of old ladies holding the snatched chain of your favorite rapper. Back in the 90s it was just too damn hard to find out the truth so people just ran with it. These days, EVERYTHING can be verified and quantified.
Bingo.

Thats why I laugh at so called "hip hop fans" who really think that "back then" was so much better.

Theres a reason they say "artist development" doesn't exist anymore. 

technology has changed the game. Thats really the only thing that has changed but its influence is on every aspect of life.

Truth. I remember reading a old Source magazine WAYYYYY back in day and Lane "Un" Rivera was talking about how Big wasnt doing all the stuff he rapped about. He hung out with dudes that did and thats how he came up with those great stories. You can look up interviews of Big saying "Its only entertainment". Its whatever though, fans are gonna pick and choose who they want to hate on.

The only times back in those days (and even still til this day) where rappers were playing the "entertainment" angle was when it was in direct response to the argument about how influential the music is on youth.

If you have an article where Biggie says something to the tune of "I didn't do anything I said I did, but I present to you this character that is purely "entertainment" I'd be more than happy to read it

As for the whole hater thing - it may be for people like Deuce but I could care less about the validity of his past. His music no longer appeals me because it got old to me personally. I was just making an observation on things in the past in comparison to now...which you KNOW is not the same. If it is...then why do you have older rappers and guys like J. Prince speaking on the same **** about today? Clearly this whole "it's just a character" opinion base hasn't been practiced at any point except for now.

I just personally couldn't see someone like...say Jay-Z...reaching this level of popularity if back in 1997 we found out he was a security guard at the DMV. Am I lying?

I also find it wildly ironic how ya'll can play the "it's entertainment" angle but whenever these dudes get in trouble or their art actually imitates their lives...how they become "ignorant...and stupid for ruining their careers according to some of you. - Like Gucci Mane, Boosie, etc.

Last edited:
The Big article Im talking about is from the late 90's I dont even know if I can find it. As far as the whole "Its entertainment" thing. Thats what this music is and has always been. These _'s are not and have not done all the things they rap about. I love Jay's music but Im not taking everything he says as fact. Jay described what the rap game is on Ignorant ****. Its a lot dudes who have done dirt like Gucci Mane, Jeezy, Boosie and T.I. so that does add authenticity to thier music but most of these dudes just put stories to beats. If we gonna start saying "I only listen to dudes who are real" yall might as well stop listening rap music.

Last edited:
The difference with Ross is the fact that he takes this persona beyond the music, do you not hear this guys interviews he acts like he's really a mob boss. Music is Music but when you take that persona and start to act everywhere you go it becomes corny.

Not to mention a big reason he gets all that is because he continues to lie about the situation. Like fam just say you weren't dealing drugs its cool... ****** are worshipping rappers who call themselves pretty *******, & dudes who kiss on the lips you feel me?

Only problem I got is why Plies be acting like he dont have a nursing degree from a top med school.

def jam buying everybody albums so we don't really know what the deal is 
but if def jam buying ross album then this is some crazy stuff cus they keep signing him
to 7 figure deals and he's dropped 8 albums in 6 years (5 solo 3 compilation)
so it's very odd to say the least and it seems like bad business on their part

Yeah it definitely is bad business, man.

Yeah it definitely is bad business, man.

You in business?

It's basically branding. Branding is something you tend to spend money on.

iDJ can say they have another #1 album. Their artist can say he has another #1 album.

Some people would view that as a sound investment. It ain't like they're breaking the bank.

Assuming they are even doing this. Which is really all heresay. It was done once in the business, and for the record, they don't actually BUY them persay. And I'll leave it at that.

Only problem I got is why Plies be acting like he dont have a nursing degree from a top med school.

:lol: For real. I'm actually impressed by that more than anything, but I just hate that he all his rapping is about what his brother did. I always get a chuckle about Plies "hidin in bushes wit da yoppa", when I'm like "Ummm, no Plies, that was your brother"

The difference with Ross is the fact that he takes this persona beyond the music, do you not hear this guys interviews he acts like he's really a mob boss. Music is Music but when you take that persona and start to act everywhere you go it becomes corny.
Not to mention a big reason he gets all that is because he continues to lie about the situation. Like fam just say you weren't dealing drugs its cool... ****** are worshipping rappers who call themselves pretty *******, & dudes who kiss on the lips you feel me?
Honestly the last few Ross interviews I seen dude always seems mad humble and says he is blessed to have this opportunity. It's not like he came out of nowhere he was grinding for years trying to get put on, sleeping on Eric Sermons couch and stuff.

Bottom line is Ross makes good music, so I'm gonna keep listening to him

Anyways back to the music

Album is dope...... Ashamed Amsterdam, and Presidential 
eek.gif

Right behind deeper than rap

Dtr

GFID

trilla

Teflon Don

Port of Miami

Back
Top Bottom