The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | PS5 Pro launches 11/7 for $699

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's also concerning (to me, anyway) that the lack of a disc drive tells me that they're starting to transition to an environment without physical-media. Not that I still buy a lot of physical media, but I like the choice. And if it's a game that I really like, I wanna physically own it. There's always the excitement of physically buying a game that you're looking forward to.

Just wanted to remind everyone that the 30 hour episode Aegis DLC for the true GOTY is out
How many hours did you put into the base game? I put in 155ish and was burnt out by 120.

Single play through, but I was trying to do everything in one run. I'll play Episode Aegis next year.

As an enthusiast, how does the upgraded specs improve the experience?

Better IQ, Framerate and less compromises.

Cerny said in the video, 75% of gamers pick performance mode over fidelity but they take a hit on graphics and resolution.

With the Pro, you can get both. Similar to how high end GPU's on PC can brute force everything. Obviously it's game and engine dependent but that's what you get with better specs and ML and AI upscaling. They also have better hardware for Ray Tracing too.

I won't lie, they did a poor job showing the differences in that 9 min video. They should've got Digital Foundry there instead of Cnet.

When PS4 Pro came out that felt like it was late in its lifespan and felt the ps4 was getting , “old” to me

I know going by average console lifespans the ps5 is already up there but ive yet to feel its potential has already been tapped out

PS4 Pro came out 3 years after the PS4. PS5 Pro will be 4 years after the PS5.
Reason the PS4 felt like it was getting old was because it was mid tech from the beginning unlike the PS5 which was a big jump from the PS4. Also 4K TV's were the norm so at least we could start taking advantage of them. Jump from 1080p to Checkerboard 4K was big.

I felt I needed the upgrade to PS4 Pro whereas for this, I can be happy staying with the normal PS5 but I'm still waiting to see these FF7 and GT7 improvements first though.

This gen is weird where it feels like we've not tapped into its full potential but on the other hand some games, especially a lot of the Unreal Engine ones like BM WuKong are struggling a bit.

I wish Sony would really take the Apple approach and offer the Pro at launch.

That's also the MS method since they said the Series X is their Pro model.

That wouldn't have worked for the PS5 pro. They're using Ray Tracing tech that's not in current AMD GPUs so this current version of the console woudn't be possible back in 2020.
Also if they did that then, the $699 meme would wreck them. I think they're better off with the mid gen approach since they can use newer tech for the remaining half of the gen.

Sony knows that the base model which will be their primary seller can't be $700. It would be a mistake to have a $700 SKU at launch even if it's a pro.

It's also concerning (to me, anyway) that the lack of a disc drive tells me that they're starting to transition to an environment without physical-media. Not that I still buy a lot of physical media, but I like the choice. And if it's a game that I really like, I wanna physically own it. There's always the excitement of physically buying a game that you're looking forward to.

I think it's just to get a cheaper price. 799 is bad but the Euro and Japanese prices are much worse :lol:
Imagine adding an extra 50 to 100 more.

Physical isn't going anywhere soon. Store retail presence is still plays a big part. Even Nike found out the hard way that going only direct to consumer would hurt your business.

Better IQ, Framerate and less compromises.

Cerny said in the video, 75% of gamers pick performance mode over fidelity but they take a hit on graphics and resolution.

With the Pro, you can get both. Similar to how high end GPU's on PC can brute force everything. Obviously it's game and engine dependent but that's what you get with better specs and ML and AI upscaling. They also have better hardware for Ray Tracing too.

I won't lie, they did a poor job showing the differences in that 9 min video. They should've got Digital Foundry there instead of Cnet.
Or could it be that maybe people dont care about graphics as much as we used to say in the late 90s/Early 2000s. Hell, Im pretty sure the fanbase of GT7 HATES the game since it went HD. :lol: I just think spending money on things like this, as a consumer, is sending the wrong signals. Yall running out to buy a half updated console just to play better looking unfinished games on.

034c8478808087afbe1974c97e5ff4587a920824.jpg

PS+ Extra
-The Plucky Squire
-Under The Waves
-Night in the Woods
-Chernobylite
-Wild Card Football
-Space Engineers
-Road 96
-Ben 10
-Far Cry 5

PS+ Premium
-Pistol Whip (PSVR2)
-Secret Agent Clank (PSP)
-Sky Gunner (PS2)
-Mister Mosquito (PS2)

I think the ps5 pro is excellent for what you get, I'm just not much of a gamer anymore. Getting a Legion Go and an egpu setup and calling it a day. OG ps5 worth keeping for the versatility.

Or could it be that maybe people dont care about graphics as much as we used to say in the late 90s/Early 2000s. Hell, Im pretty sure the fanbase of GT7 HATES the game since it went HD. :lol: I just think spending money on things like this, as a consumer, is sending the wrong signals. Yall running out to buy a half updated console just to play better looking unfinished games on.

I don't see more options as sending the wrong signal, it's just more options. There's always a a market for enthusiasts.

DualSense Edge and PS Portal been flying off the shelves and they also got a terrible initial reception. Neither are needed but there's clearly a market for them.

PC gamers, audiophiles and photographers are even more extreme. PS5 Pro is childs play compared to the enthusiast level upgrades you can get in those fields.

I think PS4 sales sit around 117M. Pro is around 14M. Which is about 12%.

Even using sell-through of 113.5M and estimated 14.5M pros. You’re still around 12.8%. So the real number is around there somewhere.

Your timeline is off.

My point was referencing how many PS4 Pro were sold within its release date of the PS4, which is (late) 2016 - 2020. You're referencing lifetime sales of PS4 vs. PS4 Pro, which is 2013 - current. There was no PS4 Pro available between 2013 - 2016.

ha I did grab a ps4 pro when rdr2 came out... 😅
Sony is betting that others like you will do exactly the same.

There will definitely be a PS5 Pro bundled with GTA6. There will also be features exclusive to the PS5 Pro version that you will not see on PS5. Sony will do everything they can to sell this damn console, and the GTA6 is that killer IP that will do it.

Also don't be surprised if Sony brings back the timed exclusivity for GTA6.

Timed exclusivity on GTA VI? Like the whole game? As in it won’t release on Xbox for a specific time? Hell naw, there’s no need for that. I don’t care how “small” the Xbox install base is, that’s still million of potential players.

Timed exclusivity on GTA VI? Like the whole game? As in it won’t release on Xbox for a specific time? Hell naw, there’s no need for that. I don’t care how “small” the Xbox install base is, that’s still million of potential players.

GTA IV had timed exclusivity for the DLC IIRC not the entire game.

That was a different time. That was before GTA Online. I’m not saying it isn’t possible but I think it’s highly unlikely. I wonder how much Rockstar would even charge Sony or MS for marketing rights.

Your timeline is off.

My point was referencing how many PS4 Pro were sold within its release date of the PS4, which is (late) 2016 - 2020. You're referencing lifetime sales of PS4 vs. PS4 Pro, which is 2013 - current. There was no PS4 Pro available between 2013 - 2016.

Gotcha. I see what you were trying to say. It’s just not what you said. Sales at that time is total sales. Sale during that same time frame is what you meant.

Well, we will see how many they sell.

Just my opinion here. I know ps5 is selling at a better rate than ps4. But I personally not sure that it may outsell the ps4. And there is that diehard group that will get a ps5 pro. Many of the same people that bought the ps4 pro. Also there is the camp that is saying what’s this generation all about and whining they won’t get a ps5 for whatever reason. So there is a chance (however small it is) that the same time frame sales might actually be higher depending on who gets the pro.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom