The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | PS5 Pro launches 11/7 for $699

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All it takes is that one developer and that killer IP, and people will be back tracking their thoughts. That said, it's not tempting right now, I'm fine with my PS5, but depending on (games) and the PS6 release date will determine if I purchase the Pro.

Idk about that. PS4 Pro accounted for maybe like 10-15 percent of PS4 sales. I don’t think people are going to be running out to grab a PS5 Pro like that. $700 is a wild ask considering they (Sony) don’t have anything to show off themselves. That could change at the rumored State of Play though.

Idk about that. PS4 Pro accounted for maybe like 10-15 percent of PS4 sales. I don’t think people are going to be running out to grab a PS5 Pro like that. $700 is a wild ask considering they (Sony) don’t have anything to show off themselves. That could change at the rumored State of Play though.
No, PS4 Pro accounted for roughly 26% of PS4 sales. Last known numbers are around 14.3 million sold as of Jan 2020, PS4 sales numbers was around 55 million at that time.

With that said, I do think 2 types of people will run out to grab, dudes looking to make a quick bag, and the others the niche PS5 gamers and those who are still holding on to a PS4. I don't think the hype for it will be as great as the PS5, it will definitely pull its weight though, and I can see it doing better numbers than the PS4 Pro.

Oh yeah, that killer IP is gonna be a rockstar... bet.

No, PS4 Pro accounted for roughly 26% of PS4 sales. Last known numbers are around 14.3 million sold as of Jan 2020, PS4 sales numbers was around 55 million at that time.

With that said, I do think 2 types of people will run out to grab, dudes looking to make a quick bag, and the others the niche PS5 gamers and those who are still holding on to a PS4. I don't think the hype for it will be as great as the PS5, it will definitely pull its weight though, and I can see it doing better numbers than the PS4 Pro.

ha I did grab a ps4 pro when rdr2 came out... 😅

I think PS4 sales sit around 117M. Pro is around 14M. Which is about 12%.

Even using sell-through of 113.5M and estimated 14.5M pros. You’re still around 12.8%. So the real number is around there somewhere.

Last edited:
I've been a few years late to consoles... I didn't get my PS4 until the pro came out. I didn't get a PS5 until this summer and I knew the pro was likely coming. I have no regrets because I would be not interested in this Pro. I will be perfectly content with the PS5 slim

Please enlighten us. Because $700 for a console I already own that requires a $1500 TV to even see the difference doen't make any economical sense to me as a consumer.

LOL. Don't forget you have to pay an electricity bill in a residence. That costs money too! Gotta have clothes so you can get a job to pay for it all.

It's an enthusiast version of the PS5. It doesn't replace the original console in anyway and it's not meant too. It's for people who want more. I don't get why you want it to flop. If there is no Pro system, you play your ps5 until ps6 comes out. You can do the same thing with the existence of pro.

How it sells compares to switch 2 is irrelevant. Idk why that was brought up.

I've been a few years late to consoles... I didn't get my PS4 until the pro came out. I didn't get a PS5 until this summer and I knew the pro was likely coming. I have no regrets because I would be not interested in this Pro. I will be perfectly content with the PS5 slim

What a level-headed and well-reasoned response.

LOL. Don't forget you have to pay an electricity bill in a residence. That costs money too! Gotta have clothes so you can get a job to pay for it all.

It's an enthusiast version of the PS5. It doesn't replace the original console in anyway and it's not meant too. It's for people who want more. I don't get why you want it to flop. If there is no Pro system, you play your ps5 until ps6 comes out. You can do the same thing with the existence of pro.

How it sells compares to switch 2 is irrelevant. Idk why that was brought up.
As an enthusiast, how does the upgraded specs improve the experience?

When PS4 Pro came out that felt like it was late in its lifespan and felt the ps4 was getting , “old” to me

I know going by average console lifespans the ps5 is already up there but ive yet to feel its potential has already been tapped out

When PS4 Pro came out that felt like it was late in its lifespan and felt the ps4 was getting , “old” to me

I know going by average console lifespans the ps5 is already up there but ive yet to feel its potential has already been tapped out

Because it hasn't.
PS4 Pro at least gave us 4k gaming, which the base PS4 didn't have, that made me finally get a PS for that generation. PS5 and SX are both capable of 8k gaming which probably isn't close to happening yet. Now they're giving you less for more; performance modes aren't going to give you more than what your tv can handle with the base models. Minute visual details you have to want to look for. They showcased games that are on last gen for this announcement. No disc drive. They won't even throw the cheap *** base in :lol:
The hardware and upscaling will be great though, I'm sure.
I don't care how people spend their money and if this is something that is enticing to someone then more power to them but it makes absolutely no sense as a purchase to me. I was leaning towards getting a slim this winter or shortly after but I think I'm gonna just invest in my PC and get a new GPU.

Last edited:
$959 Canadian, Monopoly-colored dollars at retail?

A third of my mortgage payment?

That's like 2.5 of my wife's haircuts.

This is going to take some off-shore accounting-type wizardy to even contemplate slipping it by my wife. I already dealt with 70% off Yzy's this month. I feel like I lost my opportunity.

I’m messing wit the ps5 pro.. its just gonna suck to not have any physical copies of the games but that’s good and it’ll keep my friends from asking to borrow my games.,

My wife got home and was annoyingly saying did you buy that console.

I was like: no, didn’t go preorder, cost is a **** show and everyone is pissed. Not sure I’m gonna be getting it this time around.

Her: quiet, I don’t want to hear it, know you’re buying it and all these complainers are too and you all gonna be there day one.

I was like: Did she just give me permission to spend $700 on this thing without an argument. 🤔 Hmmmmmmmmm.:lol:

Seriously though, I’m not ruling it out. I would like to see a bundle somewhere maybe throw a discount on the drive. There was a rumor of the $700 and I didn’t want to believe it. Then the rumor of $650 with the drive. I was mentally ready for the later and say take my money. For all the complaining there is a lot of tech and a 2Tb drive in the thing. $650 would have been my sweet spot. Now I’m hoping Costco does a system and disc drive combo for like $730. I think the “leaker” who was spreading the $650 cost also was saying there is another SKU coming with a drive in Dec. not believing that now, but there a slim with a drive now. Damn you $700!

Is there some kind of environmental, sustainability story I approach this with? I'm not opposed to setting up a PowerPoint presentation.

Is there something similar to a gamestop in CAN?

Maybe they will have some deal where you get a certain amount of $$$ if you trade in your ps5 towards preordering a pro.

Is there something similar to a gamestop in CAN?

Maybe they will have some deal where you get a certain amount of $$$ if you trade in your ps5 towards preordering a pro.

Yes, thats a good idea. I should see what they are offering.

The more I think about, I have been crushing 90's JRPGs recently. I dont know how much I need an upgrade. But if they have a good trade-in offer maybe I will jump on it.

More than content with my disc PS5 I’ve had for years now. This was basically what I expected from the pro in terms of performance so there’s no disappointment from me there. No disc drive is an L tho at that price point.

I think a big issue is that a lineup of upcoming S tier AAA releases in the second half of the PS5 life cycle seem to not be there to justify the upgrade for many. And going the remake station 2.0 lite route and getting this mainly to replay games with a modest bump in picture quality doesn’t appeal either. And by the time GTA6 comes out I feel like the patience to just wait for a PS6 could be more worthwhile.

For the enthusiasts who are hype and will cop I hope yall enjoy yours tho.

Back
Top Bottom