The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

[COLOR=#red]

Are you new to this thread? I am and it doesn't seem like these guys respond to people outside of a few...which kind of sucks since this is the official photography thread. The new NT (the last few years) is more about recognized personalities and less so about overall community.[/COLOR]
Yea Diggs, I am new to posting to the forum but it does seem like one has to be a "regular" to be engaged here. Anyhow, have gotten a chance to shoot much, trying to do a lot of learning first...but here are some test shots:

Yea Diggs, I am new to posting to the forum but it does seem like one has to be a "regular" to be engaged here. Anyhow, have gotten a chance to shoot much, trying to do a lot of learning first...but here are some test shots:

I wouldn't feel that way guys. I feel you on the pics, what are you shooting with? What is your preferred subject matter? From these pics I would suggest looking into composition. I'm a newb too and that's not my strong point but that pic of the Royal 1s I like but if you had better composition it would be alot stronger. I have a dog and the majority of my pics are of him, and that reminds me of the cat pic. I'd suggest a faster shutter speed to get the focus sharper because it looks like camera shake got the best of you. I prefer popping off my speedlight to get a shutterspeed fast enough to get him sharp.

Copley 1 by khankussionz, on Flickr

Copley 2 by khankussionz, on Flickr

Copley 3 by khankussionz, on Flickr

Khan,
Thanks for the input. For the past year I've been shooting everything via iPhone for Instagram (more_reese) lol. I'm only recently being introduced to the concepts of composition, iso and white balance. I'm doing a lot of reading to get comprehension. I'm shooting with a Sony nex f3 btw

Khan,
Thanks for the input. For the past year I've been shooting everything via iPhone for Instagram (more_reese) lol. I'm only recently being introduced to the concepts of composition, iso and white balance. I'm doing a lot of reading to get comprehension. I'm shooting with a Sony nex f3 btw

No prob. I'm new at it too. I think that the exposure triangle is pretty easy. Here are the basics... 1. You want to shoot at the lowest ISO you can so that you avoid noise (for my style at least, some people enjoy grain and noise) 2. Shoot at a shutterspeed at least the same number as your focal length so if you have a 35mm you want to be at least 1/40 to reduce camera shake and from the point the faster it is the sharper it will likely be 3. aperture- lower number gets more light into the camera so that you can either use a faster shutter speed and/or lower ISO and us part responsible for your depth of field. That is basically it.

Hey guys I'm looking for some camera recommendations

I've been using my friend's cameras or renting them from my uni, so I've had practice and experience with
a lot of the canon rebels (t3i, t4i,t5) 5D Mark and the nikon d40, d70, etc and also 180mm film. But I want to actually purchase my own camera for when I do some travelling abroad. The Canon 7D is my ideal because I prefer canon and also like the video quality of it too. BUT it may be too big of a step and it's also a bit out of my price range because I want more than the 18-155mm lens.

Any suggestions?

Hey guys I'm looking for some camera recommendations

I've been using my friend's cameras or renting them from my uni, so I've had practice and experience with
a lot of the canon rebels (t3i, t4i,t5) 5D Mark and the nikon d40, d70, etc and also 180mm film. But I want to actually purchase my own camera for when I do some travelling abroad. The Canon 7D is my ideal because I prefer canon and also like the video quality of it too. BUT it may be too big of a step and it's also a bit out of my price range because I want more than the 18-155mm lens.

Any suggestions?

I said this a while back but if you can save up for the 7D, I'd just do that. If you get Rebel, you'd more than likely upgrade within the year or two. Getting the 7D (and seeing how the price range is so good right now for the body), you'll pretty much have the best crop frame camera out from Canon and the only other camera to get would be a full frame. I think in the long run, you'd be saving money.

IMO...get the Canon 7D and the Nifty Fifty. I am not partial to zoom lenses as I think primes forces you to become a better photographer because of the fixed focal length.

what was your shutter speed set to? i like the shot..

Grad Nite was
pimp.gif
when i went
Thanks, I shot this at f/22 at 1 sec. I took a longer one but came out eh. Grad Nite was pretty sick, wasn't able to take the kinds of photos I was looking forward to because of schedule and friends, so this is just one of the few that I'm proud of from that night.

I said this a while back but if you can save up for the 7D, I'd just do that. If you get Rebel, you'd more than likely upgrade within the year or two. Getting the 7D (and seeing how the price range is so good right now for the body), you'll pretty much have the best crop frame camera out from Canon and the only other camera to get would be a full frame. I think in the long run, you'd be saving money.

IMO...get the Canon 7D and the Nifty Fifty. I am not partial to zoom lenses as I think primes forces you to become a better photographer because of the fixed focal length.

thanks for the advice :pimp:
I think I am going to look into getting a 50mm and/or 40mm, I can be a bit too dependent on zoom, didn't realise it.

and I think I may get a 75-300mm
for action shots and sporting events.?

thanks for the advice :pimp:
I think I am going to look into getting a 50mm and/or 40mm, I can be a bit too dependent on zoom, didn't realise it.

and I think I may get a 75-300mm
for action shots and sporting events.?

I just googled this and I am not sure how reliable the sites are but these are prices for the 7D body:

$900: http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=29229
$860: http://www.primotronix.com/tron/product_info.php?csv=bg&products_id=19037

Rebels (depending on which one of course) are all around this price as well. I just think this is a better buy for the technology, even though the 7D is a couple of years old now. The only thing bad is the 7D doesn't have the ISO power that the 5D's have but the focusing system is top notch. Still, the ISO is way better then the Rebels for sure.

I just googled this and I am not sure how reliable the sites are but these are prices for the 7D body:

$900: http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=29229
$860: http://www.primotronix.com/tron/product_info.php?csv=bg&products_id=19037

Rebels (depending on which one of course) are all around this price as well. I just think this is a better buy for the technology, even though the 7D is a couple of years old now. The only thing bad is the 7D doesn't have the ISO power that the 5D's have but the focusing system is top notch. Still, the ISO is way better then the Rebels for sure.

thanks for the links :pimp:
do you have any experience with the canon 5d3 compared to the 7d?

thanks for the links :pimp:
do you have any experience with the canon 5d3 compared to the 7d?

I never owned a 7D, but I do currently own a 5d3. I jumped to that from a T1I and it was quite a huge jump. I can tell you that I'm able to shoot at a much higher ISO and still have very usable images. I'm using a 135L f2, a 70-200L f2.8 IS and the 24-105L f4 with the 5d3. Paired with the 135L, my images are super sharp and crisp. I would go the route recommended above and stick with primes for right now. You can get more light in with the wider apeture and blur out your backgrounds with some nice bokeh. That 50 1.8 is a great lens. I have that and the 40 2.8 just cause they were so inexpensive.

On another note, I'm fairly new to everything but if you have any questions, shoot me a PM. I'm always down to talk about apetures and shutter speeds :D

Last edited:

I like the shot of the Royals. Looks like you hit your focus. On the cat, it looks like you may have missed your focus unless that's what you were going for. What forums are you checking out? There's this guy Jared Polin that I found that kind of helped with composition and all that. You should check him out.

dpreview.com is a good site that has forums dedicated to every type of camera, photography-on-the-net is good too but geared towards canon users.

digitalrev has a lot of good youtube videos going over different types of gear, some fun/interesting techniques, etc. the older videos are a little more informative, the newer stuff is kinda :rolleyes. as mentioned above, jared polin (froknowsphoto) has some good videos too, geared towards nikon.

lynda.com is another really good site for learning about the fundamentals. it's a membership site but they might have free trials..idk but i use it all the time.

this thread can also be really helpful, but you've gotta ask questions to get answers. don't be afraid to get a little constructive criticism too.

sidenote, what ever happened to that NT flickr group? are the themes still going on?

dpreview.com is a good site that has forums dedicated to every type of camera, photography-on-the-net is good too but geared towards canon users.

digitalrev has a lot of good youtube videos going over different types of gear, some fun/interesting techniques, etc. the older videos are a little more informative, the newer stuff is kinda :rolleyes. as mentioned above, jared polin (froknowsphoto) has some good videos too, geared towards nikon.

lynda.com is another really good site for learning about the fundamentals. it's a membership site but they might have free trials..idk but i use it all the time.

this thread can also be really helpful, but you've gotta ask questions to get answers. don't be afraid to get a little constructive criticism too.

sidenote, what ever happened to that NT flickr group? are the themes still going on?
Thanks. dpreview.com was very helpful. I'm still going back and forth between a few models for my first dslr and it had great information. Repped.

For a beginner? Sure. The 60D is better then all those Rebels and is built better. I would still suggest to get a 7D if it is in the price range.
Just curious, what are some of the main pros of a 7D vs a 60D. Am really interested, just trying to justify it in my head. I'm saving up for either one regardless, but it'll keep me busy researching while I save.

7D has an amazing autofocus system, and i believe the body is weather sealed better than the 60D but i'm not positive on that. as a beginner either one would be a good choice. i started with a 60D myself.

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]Thanks for answering some of the questions for us new guys. I'm learning more and more everyday from reading tutorial sites and actually using my camera. BTW I get a lot of discounts and information about beta products from photo/video companies from my company.

Here's a link I got from RED Giant..it's a vid product but maybe you guys may be interested...sharing is caring.

http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/bulletproof/features/#tabs

BTW I bought the Sony A57 because it is well respected for its features both photo and video and I like the fact I can record 1080p/24p for that film look especially if I use the Magic Bullet plugin from Red Giant. Takes great pictures as well and doesn't break the bank.[/COLOR]

I've just been experimenting with different light(ing) sources these past few months.

Strobes(monolights, popup flash) & continuous(halogen,cfl)

a friend of mines is going to be featured in a magazine

I recently got my photo on the cover of a magazine along with another one inside it. The company should send you a contract stating everything from the basic uses, terms to money (If any is involved) and more. 
thing is i'm not really gonna have contact with them. the pics are gonna get sent to my boys "manager" than after that it's outta my hands. He's already proven to be a snakey guy so i'm trying to make sure my tail is covered

I played around with my friends Canon 5D MKII and man I gotta say I loved it. Shot around with the 50mm and it sure as hek beats my D3100 any day of the week. Thinking about making the switch from Nikon to Canon now.

Back
Top Bottom