The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

thanks man. they were actually in a really heated argument so i shot from the hip while passing by lol. the guy was really upset. the original had their faces cut off, which i thought looked kinda cool, so i just straightened and corrected a bit but didn't have to crop.

So the colors and stuff are non edited? Sheesh. :lol: Looks good.

Muted blacks look so dope when other people do it :lol:

The more I print, the less i find myself doing that look.

10:45pm from tonight. Too bad you can't really get any good colors aside from just orange when it's late. Oh well.

gold-1.png

Spent yesterday afternoon playing with Lightroom and trying to build a catalogue from scratch - seems to work really well, just have to put all of my old pictures in now. Great for new ones - easy to import them and I tried editing from there which is cool.

https://flic.kr/p/LeQ2ej

What are the benefits of shooting mirroless over full frame and vices versa?

I shoot everything! Mostly landscape now, but from time to time I do some beauty and fashion.

I have a Canon 5D with a few L series lenses and I have been contemplating switching to a mirroless A7 II.

Thanks for the knowledge.

I shoot everything! Mostly landscape now, but from time to time I do some beauty and fashion.

I have a Canon 5D with a few L series lenses and I have been contemplating switching to a mirroless A7 II.

Do you mean mirrorless over DSLR?

The biggest benefit would be size and portability. The also have the option to shoot electronically so there is absolutely zero shutter sound if you really need it (church/intimate setting) You can also slap on pretty much any lens and have it perform amazingly.

The biggest benefit would be size and portability. The also have the option to shoot electronically so there is absolutely zero shutter sound if you really need it (church/intimate setting) You can also slap on pretty much any lens and have it perform amazingly.
yes, I mean DSLR. I was being more specific because I don't shoot with a crop sensor. I don't care for the extra reach nor fast action for sports.

I need something comparble to the FF image quality, low light performance, capable of shooting extra wide for landscape, etc.

That's why I'm asking for benefits of trading a FF for a mirrorless?

Is it like a crop? The IQ? Low Light Performance? Etc.

yes, I mean DSLR. I was being more specific because I don't shoot with a crop sensor. I don't care for the extra reach nor fast action for sports.

I need something comparble to the FF image quality, low light performance, capable of shooting extra wide for landscape, etc.

Sony has a few full frame mirroless options as well as crop sensor options.

Hmm. I don't really understand what you're asking exactly, so I'll narrow it down to the pros of the Sony a7 series cameras.

First, it all really depends on which model you get. a7, a7s, a7r or their newer generations a7ii, a7sii, a7rii. They're pretty much the same camera but not. For example, the "s" series are geared more toward video shooters. The "r" series I guess you could say are geared more towards photographers who need higher resolution or more pixels. It gives you the ability to crop in deeper if need be. The regular a7/a7II are pretty much the bare bones/budget type for the a7 series. It all depends what your budget is.

I can't really speak for anything else besides the a7rII since it's the only one I have experience with. Let me tell you, this thing is a low-light BEAST. The a7s is even more... IQ is simply beautiful. You definitely have a lot of flexibility when it comes to cropping in photos. I would say the a7r/ii even rivals medium format due to the sheer amount of resolution it has.

Another plus to these cameras is that you can pretty much put any lens you want on it: Sony, Canon, Nikon, Leica, Contax, and the list goes on. You just need to get the right adapter for it. Manual focusing with these cameras is super easy due to the focus peaking.

For the record, anything can shoot extra wide as long as you have the lenses for it.

Hmm. I don't really understand what you're asking exactly, so I'll narrow it down to the pros of the Sony a7 series cameras.

First, it all really depends on which model you get. a7, a7s, a7r or their newer generations a7ii, a7sii, a7rii. They're pretty much the same camera but not. For example, the "s" series are geared more toward video shooters. The "r" series I guess you could say are geared more towards photographers who need higher resolution or more pixels. It gives you the ability to crop in deeper if need be. The regular a7/a7II are pretty much the bare bones/budget type for the a7 series. It all depends what your budget is.

I can't really speak for anything else besides the a7rII since it's the only one I have experience with. Let me tell you, this thing is a low-light BEAST. The a7s is even more... IQ is simply beautiful. You definitely have a lot of flexibility when it comes to cropping in photos. I would say the a7r/ii even rivals medium format due to the sheer amount of resolution it has.

Another plus to these cameras is that you can pretty much put any lens you want on it: Sony, Canon, Nikon, Leica, Contax, and the list goes on. You just need to get the right adapter for it. Manual focusing with these cameras is super easy due to the focus peaking.

For the record, anything can shoot extra wide as long as you have the lenses for it.
you kind of answer my ?. So in your opinion if you are a purist (photographer) you can make a switch between the M3 to a 7IIR and lose nothing? So that Sony is the equivalent to a FF? Cool ..

I might have to look into it before buying the MIV.

For the record I can do 11MM with a FF with a crop it be 16MM before having to go down to a fisheye. So it can't do the type of UWA I'm looking for.

But I'm going to check these Sonys out.

If you are talking about the Sony A7R2, it actually has better dynamic range then that of at least the Canon Mark 3. I believe the Nikon D810 has the best dynamic range now (I could be wrong). Image quality on the A7R2 is fine and even better with with their high pixel count. Really there is nothing wrong with going the Sony route but the biggest advantage really is just the size. The whole battle of mirrorless vs DSLR really has to do with mirrorlesses being as good as a DSLR. For the most part, we have finally gotten to that point where they are neck and neck and now you don't have to lug a huge DSLR anymore. Landscapes are especially easy to shoot with almost any camera and even the crappy mirrorless. DSLRs outperform in other areas but mostly has to do with sports and fast auto-focusing. Even that too, is becoming marginal.

it is strange to me that mirrorless cameras haven't really caught on yet, seems like they would fit the bill for most consumers...

i think the biggest benefit is the electronic viewfinder, being able to always see you exposure; yes you can do this with 'live view' on dslrs but having the evf is key. then having basically the entire existences of 35mm lens catalogs at your disposal doesn't suck either, if you don't mind manual focus or using adapters that limit functionality. yea you save on size & weight, but if you are going to use your existing canon glass or the highest quality sony stuff, it ends up not being that much savings really - at least for the time being- though i believe the sony stuff is generally lighter than the canon/nikon equivalents.

then, if you do video, the sony cameras in particular are pretty good here as well, though the panasonic gh4 is popular too for video (less for stills)

the biggest downsides are battery life, especially the sonys, but generally mirrorless is not as good in this regard compared to dslrs, then there is just the general learning curve that comes from rocking with a new/infa,iliar system...and i think again particular to the sony cameras because they are so small, is the compact button layouts and the general finickiness of the buttons & dials, especially with all the features their cameras have; luckily there is a lot of customization that can be done, so you can mostly get it up how you'd like. another downside related to the general complexity of sony's cameras is that, there are functions that are enabled/disabled depending on camera settings (for example one of the coolest features for sony camera's is the eye auto focus, but it is not enabled out the box & can only be used when assigned to a separate button) and sometimes the camera isn't clear about what you need to do enable/disable those functions, so you really have to read the manual a few times to understand some things. and native lens selection for mirrorless cameras in general is not as deep and broad as for your canon/nikons...

tl;dr:

pros -evf enabling seeing the actual picture you are taking through the viewfinder, ability to use any lens via adapters, size & weight generally

cons - battery life, sony especially, small size & compact button layout, along with unfamiliarity can make a using a hassle compared to whatever you were using previously, comparable native mirrorless lens selection not as big as the dslrs

To some, an EVF is a con. I would personally want an OVF over an EVF, but EVF's aren't bad at all. Just preference I guess.

Also to add a pro to Sony, they have sensor image stabilization which is especially useful in low light and longer lenses.

To some, an EVF is a con. I would personally want an OVF over an EVF, but EVF's aren't bad at all. Just preference I guess.

Also to add a pro to Sony, they have sensor image stabilization which is especially useful in low light and longer lenses.

true, i guess the electronic vs. optical viewfinder is preference; the newer models are better and i expect that will continue...forgot about sensor stabilization, definitely a major pro and if shooting mostly landscape probably not as key; super useful when you need it though! not all the the models have stabilization though, for those thinking about moving over

^^^I saw that today. Rad shot.

Oddly I have never even seen an camera with an EVF. I am always thinking it's going to look like those old powershot cameras. Those were like looking into an old camcorder.

The only time I so wish I had an EVF is shooting stars/milky way shots. It is so damn hard to do, especially if you are shooting on the long end. Shooting wide is easy since all you have to do is have it at infinity but there are times I wish I could shoot on a long lens without predicting where the focus is.

Last edited:
^^^^ I had no idea you were in Scotland. I just looked that city up. Looks rad as hell. Do you recommend that area as far as vacationing is concerned whether it be the food and just general things to do?

Would love to take pics of this:

monument.jpg

Back
Top Bottom