The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

After multiple haggling around 34th I managed to grab a D3300 for $400 brand new with lens and everything. Was hagglig at $400 for a 3200 til one place threw me that deal.

EDIT

Grabbed as in not bought yet but got that deal. Are these places legit? Ive always been an advocate of "too good to be true".

That price isnt bad.

$310 body only...

Amazon product ASIN B00ICTT1FG
+

50mm 1.8 for $175

Amazon product ASIN B004Y1AYAC
+

35mm 1.8 for $167
Amazon product ASIN B001S2PPT0
+ memory cards and a bag & you're set

Man, wish Canon made a 35mm 1.8 for ~$150.

Haven't shot in a long *** time. Gotta get back out there.

Dropped moms off at SFO, figured I'd stop by Twin Peaks for the first time.

Good stuff man! I'm heading up there tomorrow if all goes as planned.

Got some film developed and realized there's a light leak somewhere in my camera. Only one pic came out clean 
ohwell.gif

Example of the light leak:

Gonna try again today around the city for a camera, maybe just settle for a 3200. 3300 from what ive researched isnt that much better.

Did some browsing on the bay for a replacement walk around lens for my 18-135 that's stuck at 70mm due to sand in the zoom gears (still works good and everything), I was torn between the
  • Sigma 17-50 f2.8
  • Tamron 17-50 f2.8
  • Sony 16-105
  • Sigma 18-125
All were around the $200 range I was looking to spend and right before I made decision, I came across a Tamron 14mm f2.8 wide angle prime for $100 (this lens retails for $700+) and a Sigma 90mm f2.8 macro prime for $100. Idk if the camera gods blessed me with those prices or not but I'm feeling pretty good about it

Did some browsing on the bay for a replacement walk around lens for my 18-135 that's stuck at 70mm due to sand in the zoom gears (still works good and everything), I was torn between the

• Sigma 17-50 f2.8
  • Tamron 17-50 f2.8
  • Sony 16-105
  • Sigma 18-125

All were around the $200 range I was looking to spend and right before I made decision, I came across a Tamron 14mm f2.8 wide angle prime for $100 (this lens retails for $700+) and a Sigma 90mm f2.8 macro prime for $100. Idk if the camera gods blessed me with those prices or not but I'm feeling pretty good about it

I had the tamron 17-50 2.8 when i shot a nikon d7000 & i was overall pretty happy w/ it.

Its not very uncommon to find tamron and sigma lenses for very cheap. They do not retain their retail value at all.

I think i paid $200... maybe less for my 17-50 2.8 and i couldnt even tell it was used :lol:

Gonna try again today around the city for a camera, maybe just settle for a 3200. 3300 from what ive researched isnt that much better.

single generation jumps on consumer cameras are usually marginal on improvements and are usually only feature addition / improvements.

The game changers are buying high quality lenses & jumping to a full frame sensor.

Been a long rough week for me. Had a military engagement last night. Shot the entire shoot in less than an hour and only used my 85mm.

Here's a few shots

single generation jumps on consumer cameras are usually marginal on improvements and are usually only feature addition / improvements.

The game changers are buying high quality lenses & jumping to a full frame sensor.

Yeah ended up with a Canon Rebel T5 and my boy has a bunch of quality lenses I can borrow.

Last edited:

• Sigma 17-50 f2.8
  • Tamron 17-50 f2.8
  • Sony 16-105
  • Sigma 18-125

I have a Tamron 17-50. My main lens.

It's really good. It's just heavy, considering I'm also gripped.

Yeah ended up with a Canon Rebel T5 and my boy has a bunch of quality lenses I can borrow.

The exact reason I switched to canon was because the photographer I was learning from let me borrow her L lenses in exchange for second shooting while I saved up to buy my own arsenal of glass.

Today I shot my first wedding with 100% all my own gear :pimp:

They sold me when they said almost all Canon lenses work with almost any Canon body.

Used my boys 28-70mm telephoto lens or whatever the hell its called and its crisp. :smokin

So I went to the night market for the first time and I'm slowly learning photography.

I've usually shot in program mode prior but decided to give manual a shot as well as manual focus.

Do you guys usually shoot in manual focus? Any tips on knowing if your subject is as crisp as can be? It's hard to tell sometimes.

Also, I've never really shot night photos and this is my first time really diving into lightroom (first time shooting raw too :smh: :lol: )

Any tips for lightroom?

I know these photos are crap, but I need the criticism so I can learn.

Very rarely manual focus.

Sometimes I manually choose focal points though.

Use youtube for lightroom tutorials, can be very helpful.

I don't ever shoot on P, but someimtes I do AV. Try AV mode out.

Last edited:
I shoot mostly in Aperture Priority, manual when I shoot long exposures. Try to get closer on some of the pictures. Try to get a fast prime like a cheap fifty for the night time shots aka low light. Plus a prime usually helps you develop a better eye for composition as well.

Any recomendations for a lense on the T5?

Mainly portrait, full body shots. Maybe something a bit wider? Or is that not ideal for body shots?

50mm?

EDIT

Found a local seller letting one go for $45.

Last edited:

50mm STM and 85mm USM, should be around 80mm and 136mm equivalents. Plus can be used in full frame bodies if you ever decide to upgrade. Spend extra on the 50mm STM, better build quality and much quieter for video, can be found for around $90 refurbished though Canon.

Very rarely manual focus.

Sometimes I manually choose focal points though.

Use youtube for lightroom tutorials, can be very helpful.

I don't ever shoot on P, but someimtes I do AV. Try AV mode out.

Only reason I shot on P was because it was easiest I suppose. All I had to worry about was the iso, but I'll be sure to give AV a try.

Will also hop on the tubes.

I shoot mostly in Aperture Priority, manual when I shoot long exposures. Try to get closer on some of the pictures. Try to get a fast prime like a cheap fifty for the night time shots aka low light. Plus a prime usually helps you develop a better eye for composition as well.

Most of the shots I took at 50mm with my tamron 17-50. I've never done 'street' photography and taken photos of people/things I didn't know.

It's definitely given me a greater appreciation trying to find good shots, positioning, angle through the crowds.

And worse of all, trying to take a photo without the person knowing or the sense/vibe of them 'catching' you.

The white girl caught me taking that photo :lol:

I love the photos posted in this thread capturing so much reality and you can really feel what's going on in the photos.

I don't know how to be more inconspicuous while getting closer and getting a good shot :lol:

went back home for a few weeks to visit and collect some things. barely used my camera but soaked up a lot of time spent eating, drinking, spending time with family & friends, packing for my new job, and watching my friends catch pokemon since i was on a prepaid sim and didn't wanna exhaust my data lol. great stuff in here and love how this thread keeps my interest and motivation high to keep up with the hobby.

28238879780_eefbbe6ced_c.jpg
28490355126_24fbbe89a6_c.jpg
28157060601_0b4fdbb060_c.jpg
28157062961_b32ac511c2_c.jpg
27906027653_d503812737_c.jpg
28238236240_0d028ddcda_c.jpg

50mm 1.8 STM vs the older classic version?

Dont over think it man...

both are cheap and extremely high value lenses.

Recently gave away my stm and dude loves it
So I went to the night market for the first time and I'm slowly learning photography.

I've usually shot in program mode prior but decided to give manual a shot as well as manual focus.

Do you guys usually shoot in manual focus? Any tips on knowing if your subject is as crisp as can be? It's hard to tell sometimes.

Also, I've never really shot night photos and this is my first time really diving into lightroom (first time shooting raw too :smh: :lol: )

Any tips for lightroom?

I know these photos are crap, but I need the criticism so I can learn.

I personally exclusively shoot manual mode. I find it to be easier to dial in the settings I want & get consistency versus using a priority mode & figuring out compensations.

I also exclusively shoot single point auto focus & focus on the eye closest to the camera. I very frequently shoot with a pretty shallow depth of field and me and my clients dont have the time for me to figure out the manual focus. I also personally don't really like portraits that do not have critical focus achieved on the subject. I don't think its a unbreakable rule that you have to have tack sharp portraits... But I rarely see unsharp portraits that are any good. A lot of folks would be better off using a narrower f stop and getting the scene in focus. :lol:

My tip for getting your subject crisp is to not use manual focus if you're using a shallow depth of field.

For lightroom, youtube is a great resource. Its pretty easy to process images. You slide sliders until you achieve the look you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom