The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Here's an article all about STM especially vs USM
http://petapixel.com/2013/08/26/vid...-and-stm-lenses-using-the-70ds-dual-pixel-af/

The magic is in the lens... A kit lens is obviously better than not having a lens at all, its good for getting your feet wet, its good for deciding whether or not you want to move forward with this, etc.

But in all honesty, you'll be much better off with superior optics. But don't get me wrong, you can still create compelling content with kit equipment.

Cool thanks. Btw you said your phone was better then a t2i. I have a t1i and with raw editing and everything I like what I get. I can shoot raw with my Samsung s7 edge and pretty soon I'll be editing something from it to test results. although I like my camera for what it's worth its not that good, but more so good enough. T1i raw edited Picture quality is better then the average picture taken in auto. I just wish I had something better as I have quickly out grown my camera smh. So rebel cameras are good enough, but I'd rather get a budget friendly camera from nikon then a rebel. So if anyone is starting out either save for the camera you really want or go nikon. Thats my opinion. I just feel nikon does better for low budget cameras

You guys are really misinterpreting what I am saying.

GLASS GLASS GLASS GLASS GLASS

My phone will beat out a KIT LENS.

You can put a $5,000 lens on a rebel and you will get phenomenal results... because the LENS is.

When I first started out I was using a nikon D7000 I got for like $500 w/ a $2,000 Nikkor 70-200 and was getting great results. The magic is in the LENS... especially for photography specifically.

I get you...but fam you are buggin...some phones these days may indeed have quality optics and yes glass is what really gives images that extra pop, however sensor size factors as well and modern kit lens are pretty decent; i definitely think most people would rather use a phone than a dedicated camera because the quality is better than good enough but for anything that you'd want to isolate a subject in camera or excercise granular level of control any dslr is going to smash a phone camera...

1 -- I agree w/ you.

2 - That wasnt my argument. It was strictly about optical quality of the lens on phones verses 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit lenses & I was able to accomplish a shot with my phone better than the 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens simply because it was a wide shot that needed to get done.

After I took that shot, I used my 5D w/ the 17mm f/4 & off camera flash to get the shot even better than I wanted :rofl:

3 - The next iOS and ive seen some android apps that allow for manual shooting

4 - 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit lenses are realistically not giving you much control over anything... shooting at 50mm f/5.6 leads you to pretty much only 1 scenario... High ISO.

I think the 55-200mm kit lenses are better than the 18-55. I think 18-55 is really a waste of a lens. You're much better off getting a couple wide angle cheap primes that allow for greater aperture control.

My only beef here is with the 18-55mm kit lens. I think its a waste of time, and when budgets are tight, it should just be ignored.

You can put a $5,000 lens on a rebel and you will get phenomenal results... because the LENS is.

When I first started out I was using a nikon D7000 I got for like $500 w/ a $2,000 Nikkor 70-200 and was getting great results. The magic is in the LENS... especially for photography specifically.

Nah i understand. I was just rambling on about my opinion lol. Btw if someone is getting a old rebel and attaching an expensive lens they might as well have gotten a. Different camera. I'm pretty sure someone with a rebel series can't afford that and that's why I suggested nikon. Anyways you are right and I was rambling lol

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure someone with a rebel series can't afford that

not necessarily true

Last edited:
The only real issue I see with getting Rebel series cameras and old ones at that is the ISO. Daylight photos are usually the easiest thing to capture whether on a phone, point and shoot, DLSR, etc but night photos are where you would see the age in some camera bodies and issues when shooting on say an iPhone. I think by the end of it, it depends on what you like to shoot. If you are a street photographer and shoot portraits and what not, then get a Rebel, a $100 50mm lens and you are set to go to at least get some good captures. If you want to do sports, low light shooting, nighttime landscapes, etc......then invest in a better body first and get a lends to accommodate that second.

not necessarily true

Well there's an exception to everything so yeah some people can afford the lenses, but still you get my point

Yeah i mean just in my example i was using a cheap camera ($500) with an expensive lens ( $2000+) attached to it. :nerd:

The Nikon and Canon consumer and pro level lineup are very comparable in function and budget.

Canon has the rebel, 80d, 7d mk II

Nikon has the D3300, D5500, D7200 & now D500

ALL are very capable cameras with the right lens attached to them.

But u right we are very much rambling... I just love photography & gear and can talk anyone's ear off :rofl: :D

The only real issue I see with getting Rebel series cameras and old ones at that is the ISO. Daylight photos are usually the easiest thing to capture whether on a phone, point and shoot, DLSR, etc but night photos are where you would see the age in some camera bodies and issues when shooting on say an iPhone. I think by the end of it, it depends on what you like to shoot. If you are a street photographer and shoot portraits and what not, then get a Rebel, a $100 50mm lens and you are set to go to at least get some good captures. If you want to do sports, low light shooting, nighttime landscapes, etc......then invest in a better body first and get a lends to accommodate that second.

All of this

Yeah this is very true.

I think my issue comes from video which has nothing to do with photography. I now want to do more video and my rebel t1I sucks for that lol. Even with magic lantern. what you said though is right because all I have is a t1i, kit lens and 50mm and it works well enough for me

I am just glad I capped out on what body camera I needed with the 5D. Granted that is a really expensive camera, at least I know it should do relatively everything I need. The only thing it's really missing is higher megapixels, higher burst and better focus but for what I do, I just don't need it. I'd even imagine as I get lazier that I'd wouldn't even need a camera this advance and will go the mirrors was route. Anyways, no camera is fit or not fit for a person. I personally wouldn't start with a Rebel but that is cause I know I'd outgrow that camera fast but perhaps another person wouldn't.

Can confirm, ISO is ****..

Can confirm, ISO is ****..

Dude on my t1i I shot in daylight and I exposed for the highlights being the sky. The dark area came out grainy as ever and I believe I was on iso 100 or 200. So half the picture was grainy and the rest not. Hate it so I don't shoot like that often

Last edited:
T2i owner here, love the camera for what it does but definitely has its limitations. After shooting with the camera for a while, I realized I wanted something smaller, better dynamic range, better low light performance, and a shallower depth of field which lead me to getting a used A7. But I still use my T2i from time to time, the 24mm STM and 50mm STM is definitely a nice setup on a budget, especially bought used/refurbished. Throw in an 85mm USM and most photographers should be set for a while with very good image quality to boot. Plus the 50mm and 85mm can be used on full frame bodies. A decent 64gb SD card runs around $25 and a camera bag can be bought for $20 via Adorama/B&H when they run one of their sales.

Back from Northeast Wisconsin cabin trip

I felt like the abandoned schoolhouse is not as good as it could be ... your thoughts?

Back from Northeast Wisconsin cabin trip

I felt like the abandoned schoolhouse is not as good as it could be ... your thoughts?

I feel the trees cut off to the left just add something I don't like and the angle of the school could be different for my taste.otherwise clean shot!

Nice! Ours is in Pickerel, WI, about 40 min from Antigo. Eagle River is right by Conover, WI, which is my last name, and that's like the funniest thing ever to me. Got lots of selfies last year.

Nice! Ours is in Pickerel, WI, about 40 min from Antigo. Eagle River is right by Conover, WI, which is my last name, and that's like the funniest thing ever to me. Got lots of selfies last year.

Right on! My gramps has had the cabin that we have since the mid 60s. I love going up there, but now I'm out in colorado. I really miss the lakes back home in Wisco.

Back
Top Bottom