The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I know how hard it can be to shot at this bridge. If it's not the trains it is the joggers. You did a good job! However, like many have mentioned, your settings are way off for my taste. I would of have shot that at f/11 w/100 iso. It would of have been a longer exposure, but well worth it. Less noise and IMO probably sharper image.

Do you mind uploading the raw file and posting it here? I wouldnt mind trying to edit, see how much difference if any we could get.

Will do once I’m home. I need to get better at editing my images. I’m usually confused on what to look for and what to adjust etc.

Lens usually perform better in certain aperture. They'll give you better sharpness. Once you start using those high apertures, the lens will lose a lot if sharpness and if anything will start showing more of the dirt spots and stuff.

Normally a lens will perform it's best around f/8 to f/11. Best sharpness from corner to corner and if using a zoom, to minimize distortion you should avoid the extreme low end.

In regards to iso, the lower the iso the cleaner and less noisy the image in. You should use this whenever possible. Its also help because you can pull shadows a lot more as you started with a cleaner image.

The exposure doesn't come into effect in what we are talking about.

to add, or more technically, further complicate matters not every lens is sharper (or maybe better put the added sharpness is negligible compared to the light loss) in that f8-f11 range but it is kinda the go to math for city/landscape & long exposure. tho it is possible (obviously), sometimes necessary, and even at times advantageous to use apertures outside that range depending on the distance/lens/subject; like some lenses are sharp enough (or close to) wide open to be used at infinity for long exposures/landscapes

Will do once I’m home. I need to get better at editing my images. I’m usually confused on what to look for and what to adjust etc.

really #therearenorules...you should just try some things to see what you like, or reference images that you like, as well as figuring out what things are/do both on the camera & in your editing software...

I know how hard it can be to shot at this bridge. If it's not the trains it is the joggers. You did a good job! However, like many have mentioned, your settings are way off for my taste. I would of have shot that at f/11 w/100 iso. It would of have been a longer exposure, but well worth it. Less noise and IMO probably sharper image.

Do you mind uploading the raw file and posting it here? I wouldnt mind trying to edit, see how much difference if any we could get.

331gahv.jpg

Going to fort lee. Trying to get a nice shot of George Washington bridge.

Edit: **** man I think I can’t enter the park kinda annoyed currently trying to figure this out.

Last edited:
Going to fort lee. Trying to get a nice shot of George Washington bridge.

Edit: **** man I think I can’t enter the park kinda annoyed currently trying to figure this out.

Yeah pretty sure they close it off at night. Really good spot though.

Phone pic :rolleyes
IMG_20170827_184439-01.jpeg

Yeah pretty sure they close it off at night. Really good spot though.

Phone pic :rolleyes
IMG_20170827_184439-01.jpeg

Nice so homie that got me inspired to come out here actually put me on. His *** snuck into the woods etc to get a night shot of it. He put me on and told me it can be sketchy especially being that I’m by myself right now smh. Looks like it’s quiet. Going to see if I can get a view near west side highway.

Went to fort lee fail. Drove west side highway fail. Went to Tudor city and didn’t like the scenery there so that failed. Overall crappy night of shooting. Got nothing smh.

Went to fort lee fail. Drove west side highway fail. Went to Tudor city and didn’t like the scenery there so that failed. Overall crappy night of shooting. Got nothing smh.
You're in need of a road dog or growing some nuts. LoL j/k.

But yeah, in photography, you might have to venture in order to get some shots you really want.

I know you posted the raw file, but I meant upload it like to a sharespace site so we can download the original file.

You're in need of a road dog or growing some nuts. LoL j/k.

But yeah, in photography, you might have to venture in order to get some shots you really want.

I know you posted the raw file, but I meant upload it like to a sharespace site so we can download the original file.

Got you.

Earlier, I was asking for guy's extreme RAW before/after ....

Nobody replied, so I went out today with that purpose.

IMG_0243-Edit.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg
Cleaned it up a bit. :smile:

Last edited:
Any spots in San Diego you guys recommend in getting some shots in? Any murals?

Place we’re staying at has roof access, but doesn’t have a clear shot of downtown. Otherwise, I would’ve tried to get a shot of the skyline.

How can I crop image A to look like image B. I can't figure this out anywhere man.

A.
331gahv.jpg

B.
2s7jukh.png

That's not a cropping issue - it was taken at a different focal length from a slightly different position - if you crop it you would be missing most of the road at the bottom.

That's not a cropping issue - it was taken at a different focal length from a slightly different position - if you crop it you would be missing most of the road at the bottom.
Or it was probably shot in portrait vices landscape. Either could be the case. His image is too zoomed in.

Last edited:
Ok, so if this was my image, this is the route I would of have taken. just moved a few things left and right and that's it.
IMG_7677.jpg

BTW, this was a dope night to capture this. make this look dark and moody. Congrats.

Last edited:
Yeah.....just shoot vertical. You'll get that shot a lot easier than cropping. Nowadays, I always shoot vertical and horizontal for the same spots. I hate getting that "why didn't I" feeling when leaving a spot.

Just came back from Denver. Went to this cool lake after a mile hike up. Thankfully the park has it sectioned off so no a-holes try and swim in it. Looks so nice in person.

Hanging+Lake+1.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm guessing my lens isn't capable of zooming that far back since I made sure to go as far back as possible. As for shooting in portrait rather than landscape my issue is shooting at night. Is there such thing as having a tripod set up a way where I can have my camera shoot vertically rather than the way I've been shooting?

So I'm guessing my lens isn't capable of zooming that far back since I made sure to go as far back as possible. As for shooting in portrait rather than landscape my issue is shooting at night. Is there such thing as having a tripod set up a way where I can have my camera shoot vertically rather than the way I've been shooting?

Get an L-bracket for you lens. Allows you to mount your camera vertical without adjusting your tripod. The only thing is you need a tripod that are arca swiss compatible. Also remember that shooting vertical and horizontal on a lens gives different results. Like for vertical shots, you might have to zoom in more than a horizontal one. You can also shooting vertical panoramica too of your lens isn’t wide enough. There are a lot of options to shoot a landscape photo.

How can I crop image A to look like image B. I can't figure this out anywhere man.

A.
331gahv.jpg

B.
2s7jukh.png

Wider lens, shoot portrait style.

My tripod lets me shoot in portrait. Get one with a ball head.

I have a Dolica ZX600B103 that I picked up for like $80 from Costco a few years back. Not sure if they still sell it though.

Wider lens, shoot portrait style.

My tripod lets me shoot in portrait. Get one with a ball head.

I have a Dolica ZX600B103 that I picked up for like $80 from Costco a few years back. Not sure if they still sell it though.

might need this tripod. Anything similar for a bit cheaper?

Back
Top Bottom