The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

A lot of those outdoor shots make me really want to get a filter. Just seeing how much detail is lost out in those 3 shades to blinding spots has me intrigued to see what could be unmasked. Same with the landscape shots during the day. Starting to drive around all day looking at locations and considering the time and day each spot would be great for

Anyone know if a filter can mute sunstar effects? Been messing with my Nikon 20mm 1.8 more for wide landscape shots, but the sunstars are OC at times lol.

bjamez20 first one with the wider angle for me man !

Nawzlew, yanky, I live in Marseille, France. It's on the mediterranean coast. There are nice spot all along the coast with clear sea and nice cliffs called "Calanques". Let me know if any of you guys come over to France, that area is def worth a stop !

Anyone know if a filter can mute sunstar effects? Been messing with my Nikon 20mm 1.8 more for wide landscape shots, but the sunstars are OC at times lol.
examples? The smaller the apeture the more the effect. F/1.8 = no effect F/22 = extreme effect.

Last edited:
examples? The smaller the apeture the more the effect. F/1.8 = no effect F/22 = extreme effect.

I tried that, but it still doesn't give me the results I was looking for.

Not the best example, but this was taken at f/1.8 for 1 sec.

With no proof or experience, I'd assume using a filter would reduce some of the starburst effect since you'll be able to use a more wide open aperture

Yeah....you have to shoot at f/22 to get a burst. For the sun, you have to wait till it is somewhat behind some foreground whether it be a mountain, tree, etc. The moon might have a better effect, but i find the sun to look more attractive.

Yeah....you have to shoot at f/22 to get a burst. For the sun, you have to wait till it is somewhat behind some foreground whether it be a mountain, tree, etc. The moon might have a better effect, but i find the sun to look more attractive.
I'm not trying to get a sunburst though. I'm looking for ways to lessen the effect.

I'm not trying to get a sunburst though. I'm looking for ways to lessen the effect.
honestly speaking that might be environmental ... Either fog, haze, clouds or even a smudge dirty lens rather than a moon flare.

Last edited:
^ well I can't say for sure, but isn't it possible that it's similar to a lens flare? I know it might not look like the standard one that people get all into. On some of my lenses, they will produce lens flares that are very narrow.

Did you try that same picture at f4 or so and did you readjust the composition? I'd be interested to see how that affects what the moon looks like.

Do you get that only on the moon? Or do you get it also on street lamps and such.

Site is live bruhs....so ***** happy with how it turned out, I have so much work to share since the last time I even had a site, IG spoiled me
laugh.gif

www.elkincardonaphotography.com
Not a great internet connection at my local philz but the fonts look good lol, will be checking it out when I get home!

Don't think I've ever been this excited for a backpack lol but I was so juiced when I finally picked it up. I remember Fong posted Peak Design's kickstarter a long while back and knew this was the camera bag I'd been waiting for. I don't shop online so I usually just wait for my local shops to get it but my local store (Sammy's camera) was really lagging on their shipment and since I had to go to the East bay a couple of days ago I tried Camera West in Walnut Creek and sure enough as soon as I walk in the backpacks are on display. Way better in person, pictures doesn't do it justice in my opinion. Can't wait to take it on my first adventure of the year to Yosemite in a couple of weeks.

Taken on my iPhone 7+

Last edited:

I think it might have to do with your exposure. The longer your exposure is, the more intense the light gets; hence that "sunburst" effect. Not too many star points because you weren't stopped down at all either. If you decrease your exposure, you won't get that effect you're seeing.

You also don't really have to shoot at f/22 or even that high at all to get that sunburst effect. The more you stop down thought, the more prominent it is.

First photo is at f/10 and second photo is at f/8. Still got that sunburst effect.

Check this link out. It explains it pretty well. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...ling-star-effects-sun-stars-starbursts-photos

GND_3677.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GND_3666.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

Last edited:
I am currently in the market for a new lens....

Current setup:
Nikon D3200/D3300(kit lens 18-55mm)
Nikon 35mm 1.8
Nikon 85mm 1.8
Nikon SB 600

With this in mind, I am now trying to acquire a "Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Ultra Wide Angle Fixed Lens w/ Built-in AE Chip for Nikon" because it is a wide angle prime lens (a true 21mm when considering the crop sensor on the two bodies I own) and the price which is below the $400.....

What do you guys think? Worth it? Is there another lens I should look at.....?

Thanks

I had the rokinon 14mm non chip and i loved it. However there is some distortion at 2.8. Overall though its good for the price.

The buyer is usually protected using Paypal right? If something is wrong, I can dispute it and get my money back relatively easily?

I'm thinking about buying from FredMiranda. Idk if you would know since you said you buy from Amazon.
FM and POTN are great places to find used gear but like anything you are always running a risk when buying online.

I just got my 85mm f/1.8 in today, picked it up off PotN for $250.

My picture was taken at f/1.8. My initial thought was possible how long the shutter was open, which goes back to my actual question -- if a filter can mute sunstar effects.

Last edited:
My picture was taken at f/1.8. My initial thought was possible how long the shutter was open, which goes back to my actual question -- if a filter can mute sunstar effects.

To answer your question, I honestly don't think so. Maybe an ND filter or better yet, a graduated ND filter.

If you expose for the light source, you're not going to get that diffraction - but everything will be dark. Since you're exposing for the entire scene, you're going to get that no matter what.

Last edited:
got the sigma 17-50 for christmas and im finally getting around to using it. i have used it , but not anything serious. took this yesterday morning to try something different. pretty simple, but what do you think?

30ruywh.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom