The Official NFL Off-Season Thread - Tony Gonzalez traded to the Falcons

Originally Posted by yungchris504

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Actually, I know exactly why Reggie still isn't signed; I just felt like mentioning him.
POSTED: Saturday, February 28, 2009
HOUSTON -- Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Reggie Williams, expected to leave the team as a free agent, was charged with DWI and possession of marijuana after being arrested during a traffic stop early Friday.

They were dismissed

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ap-jaguars-williamsarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

And he is still garbaged

laugh.gif
Man, you hate Reggie Williams, dont you?
laugh.gif

Oh Noez! Not Laron Landry? He is the greatezt! He iz da bestiz in da worldz! Such a upgrade at the FS position. He is sooooooooo good. How could they trade him?
Hes a SS
grin.gif

and you know he played very well the year before last, but Brandon Jacobs may have very well ended that boys career
smh.gif
I defended him coming out and he was making my Laron Landry>Michael Huff call areality but he was so garbage last year I think its back to Laron Landry = Michael Huff because they are both trash. Right Gunna?
laugh.gif

He is only filling the void til we get Taylor Mays
pimp.gif

Bust. Im calling it now. Unless he magically gains some instinct he will be a workout warrior and nothing else.

Originally Posted by theone2401

Oh Noez! Not Laron Landry? He is the greatezt! He iz da bestiz in da worldz! Such a upgrade at the FS position. He is sooooooooo good. How could they trade him?
Hes a SS
grin.gif

and you know he played very well the year before last, but Brandon Jacobs may have very well ended that boys career
smh.gif
I defended him coming out and he was making my Laron Landry>Michael Huff call a reality but he was so garbage last year I think its back to Laron Landry = Michael Huff because they are both trash. Right Gunna?
laugh.gif

I know he's naturally a SS but he PLAYS FS, No?

And you know damn well how ******** fans were talking about him. I shoulda screen printed all that hogwash
smh.gif
smh.gif
alien.gif

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Hopefully LenWhale has a great year, he gets a lot of hate on nt.
What are you talking about?

*Fixed* by the way
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by theone2401

Hes a SS
grin.gif

smh.gif
I defended him coming out and he was making my Laron Landry>Michael Huff call a reality but he was so garbage last year I think its back to Laron Landry = Michael Huff because they are both trash. Right Gunna?
laugh.gif
I know he's naturally a SS but he PLAYS FS, No?

And you know damn well how ******** fans were talking about him. I shoulda screen printed all that hogwash
smh.gif
smh.gif
alien.gif

Yea he played FS last year...I just couldnt let you slide with your LaRon Landry routine and thats all I had to come back with
embarassed.gif
cause he did play like trash despite the ******* fan probowl hype (yallknow who yall are
nerd.gif
)
smh.gif

lol, no doubt.

Dude is a great player. He is just being misused.

Imagine if he could play in like Jacksonwille w/ Reggie Nelson...or w/ Ed Reed or some $!%#. Where he didn't have so much coverage responsibility
sick.gif
sick.gif

He was the PERFECT foil for ST. They woulda been one of, if not THE best safety tandem in the L.

He needs that coverage, deep Safety to be over top so he can play his SS/Rover role to perfection.

laugh.gif
He showed some flashes playing withST21 but once he had some responsibility that bum got lost. But at least you could always say "At least he can lower the boom" but then BJ hit him..

http://www.youtube.com/v/B_jBplbajbg&rel=1

http://www.youtube.com/v/B_jBplbajbg&rel=1
sick.gif

He just never took the next step. He had a perfect opportunity to step up and show he was getting it and he went backward. But damn if he goes to Denver himand Brian Dawkins in the same defensive backfield?
laugh.gif
Champ better learnhow to cover 3 halves

Originally Posted by kidjustice19

damn....my favorite player Leonard Weaver signed with Philly........
frown.gif

He will be missed. Don't know why the Seahawks wouldn't offer him more or atleast the same as Philly. Only 1 year 1.75, 2.75 with incentives...seemsodd.

LJ Smith is going to be a Raven...

[h1]Ravens sign free agent tight end Smith to one-year deal[/h1]
Associated Press

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens have signed free agent tight end L.J. Smith to a one-year contract.

Coach John Harbaugh said Friday that he knows what type of player the Ravens are getting in Smith from his days coaching in Philadelphia.

"I had the opportunity to be around L.J. for a number of years in Philadelphia, and there is a comfort level that we have with each other,"Harbaugh said.

Smith, a 6-foot-3, 258 pound six-year NFL veteran, has caught 231 passes for 2,525 yards and 18 touchdowns in 86 regular season games. Smith has also playedin four playoff games and started 65 regular season games.

Smith, 28, led the Eagles in receptions and receiving yards in 2005 with a career-high 61 catches for 682 yards.

The Lions have just announced they will take jason smith with the first pic of the draft and have started negotiations with Jason Smith. More to come.....

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

The Lions have just announced they will take jason smith with the first pic of the draft and have started negotiations with Jason Smith. More to come.....
Lions | To take J. Smith with first pick?
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:38:30 -0700
KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions will take Baylor OT JasonSmith with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

KFFL reporting =/= Lions announcing

This seems way too early for any team to announce who they're picking... even if it is the Lions.

Smokescreen?
nerd.gif

[h3]With Samson Satele gone, who might be next?[/h3]
DANA POINT, Calif. -- The Dolphins are in draft pick collection mode now.

They have traded center Samson Satele because, as I write in my column for Monday's paper, Bill Parcells has his sights set on 2010 when the team might have 12 unrestricted free agents, assuming there is a collective bargaining agreement reached in the next year. Barring an agreement, the rules about who is and isn't a free agent change, but the Dolphins are going by today's rules looking forward.

Anyway, the only way the Dolphins believe they can overcome a potential exodus of a dozen players in 2010 is by loading up on draft picks in 2009.

So Satele is off to the Oakland Raiders in exchange for an undisclosed pick, bringing back to nine the number of picks Miami will have in the April draft.

[h2]JETS WANT CUTLER[/h2]
Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2009, 8:25 a.m.

A year after acquiring via trade a high-profile quarterback represented by an agent who helped instigate said high-profile quarterback's divorce from his prior team, the New York Jets are interested in acquiring a high-profile quarterback represented by an agent who helped instigate said high-profile quarterback's divorce from his prior team.

According to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News, the Jets are interested in Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler.

Specifically. Myers reports that Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum has informed the Broncos that, if/when they decide to move Cutler, the Jets want in on the action.

The news is hardly shocking. The Jets have a bare cupboard at quarterback, after essentially trading Brett Favre for Chad Pennington a year ago. The only viable in-house option is Kellen Clemens, and if he were any good, they Jets wouldn't have felt compelled to get Favre in 2008.

Coincidentally, Favre and Cutler are represented by the same agent - Bus Cook.

The other problem for Tannenbaum is that, as he continues to acquire veteran talent, the team has a vacuum at the most important position in what is and always will be a quarterback's league.

So, if Tannenbaum intends on remaining with the Jets into the next decade, the team needs improved quarterback play, as soon as possible.

Short of getting luck with a Matt Ryan or a Joe Flacco, the Jets must find a guy who has shown he can get it done. And Cutler is the only one who might be available.

Did Giants nix Smith for Edwards swap? Valph Vacchiano of the Daily News reports that according to a report in The Giant Insider, the Giants and ClevelandBrowns were involved in brief trade talks recently in which the Giants asked for Browns' WR Braylon Edwards and the Browns wanted WR Steve Smith (plusdraft picks) in return. The talks could heat up again as it gets closer to the NFL draft. NYDailyNews

============================================================

March 22, 2009
Did Giants nix Smith for Edwards swap?
Would you trade Steve Smith for Braylon Edwards?

That's a decision Giants GM Jerry Reese reportedly had to make. And he apparently wouldn't do it.

According to a report in The Giant Insider, the Giants and Cleveland Browns were involved in brief trade talks recently in which the Giants asked for Edwardsand the Browns wanted Smith (plus some draft picks) in return. The trade didn't happen, obviously, but the article (you need a subscription to TGI read it)does speculate that the talks could heat up again as it gets closer to the NFL draft.

I can't confirm the story for you at the moment. But it certainly was a hot rumor for a while that the Giants were going after Edwards, though the rumor(which I previously told you was untrue) was that the Giants were dangling DE Mathias Kiwanuka. TGI's story confirmed the Kiwanuka part was bogus.

What TGI says actually happened is that the Giants offered Cleveland the two draft picks they got in the Jeremy Shockey deal (a second and a fifth), and theBrowns said they wanted those picks and Smith. The Giants said no to that, according to the story, but offered an alternative of the picks plus Domenik Hixonor Mario Manningham.

At that point, the story says, "Cleveland balked and the talks died."

I don't blame Cleveland for balking, if they really did. The 26-year-old Edwards has outstanding size (6-3, 215) and is just two years removed from anincredible, 80-catch, 1,289-yard, 16-touchdown season. Yes, his numbers were down this year (55-873-3) and he led the NFL in drops (16), but he has a biggerupside than most of the receivers in the NFL - definitely a bigger upside than Hixon or Manningham.

The only downside to Edwards - other than the dropsies - is that his contract is due to expire after the 2009 season and since he's already making $4.55million it's a good bet he's going to ask for $8-10 million per year.

(Update: It just occurred to me that if there's no CBA signed by next offseason, Edwards would only be a restricted free agent next year, which means hiscost for 2010 would be a lot less. In fact, his team would only have to offer him a tender at 110% of his 2009 salary to keep his rights. That's$5,005,000).

Still, I'm guessing if the Browns really shopped Edwards around they could do better than a second, fifth and Hixon/Manningham.

From the Giants' perspective, with Plaxico Burress in limbo Smith is the best receiver they've got (57 catches, 574 yards, one touchdown last year, butwith only four starts). I'm sure the Giants envisioned pairing Edwards with Smith, not swapping them. With two second-round picks, though, I wonder ifthere's a way to sweeten that offer and keep Smith out of it.

Again, I'm not confirming anything. I'm just pointing out an interesting report and giving you all a little something to debate during this slow timeof year.

Bill stockpiling draft picks.
pimp.gif

We should sell Ricky now. Before he puffs again, get whatever we can for that dude.

From the Owners' Meetings comes the schedule for the Week 1 primetime and Thanksgiving Day games...

For Week 1...

Thursday, Sept. 10
Tennessee Titans @ Pittsburgh Steelers (8:30, NBC)

Sunday, Sept. 13
Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears (8:30, NBC)

Monday, Sept. 14
Buffalo Bills @ New England Patriots (7:00, ESPN)
San Diego Chargers @ Oakland Raiders (10:15, ESPN)

The MNF games feature four of the original teams from the 1960 Inaugural season of the AFL. (50th Anniv. Celebration)

For Thanksgiving Day...

Green Bay Packers @ Detroit Lions (12:30, FOX)
Oakland Raiders @ Dallas Cowboys (4:15, CBS)
New York Giants @ Denver Broncos, (8:00, NFLN)

As far as rule changes...you can call nearly everything being discussed the "Patriot Act."

Talking about penalties for lunging at a QBs knees from the ground, penalties for ANY hit on a "defenseless" WR (not just helmet-to-helmet). ThinkClark on Welker...

There's also talk about a "Hines Ward Rule" for blindsiding a defensive player...

Goodell was just doing a PC on NFLN. Damn near every question was about moving to an 18 game season...dude was getting annoyed.
laugh.gif

Oakland at Dallas on Thanksgiving? Are they serious?
smh.gif

The NFL is starting to get this big head and think they can just put any match-up out there and people will watch. Those games they put on Monday night lastseason SUCKED and from the looks of things, they gonna do it again this season.
tired.gif

timeout why did %%!!*% stone face me because I said it's gonna take some time for DE #90 to adjust to playing LB?

Why the @#%# do the raiders keep getting a monday night game in the 1st week?

And is it true only one person showed up for Nate Davis workout?

DRIVER: "T.O. IS A SELFISH LITTLE BRAT"
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 22, 2009, 2:54 p.m.

In as nice a tone as possible, Green Bay Packers veteran wide receiver Donald Driver made it abundantly clear that he has no intentions of ever playing on the same football team as combustible Buffalo Bills wide receiver Terrell Owens.

During a recent Packers fan appearance immortalized on YouTube, Driver said, "T.O. is a nice guy, if you get to know him, a nice, down-to-earth guy. Could I ever play with T.O.? No. We have talked about if we could ever play with each other. He wants the ball. I guess you could say he's selfish. He's a selfish little brat, but he's a good guy in person."

Driver contrasted his low-key approach to the game to Owens, noting how he handled not getting the ball as much during a stretch last season as quarterback Aaron Rodgers repeatedly targeted wideout Greg Jennings.

"It's all good, you deal with it," Driver said. "I don't have to prove myself anymore. We had a great connection, one of the best connections in Packers history, me and Brett [Favre]. Now, [Rodgers] and Greg have that connection.

"It worked for them. As the season went on, I had to get involved in the offense and things started working out. You just move forward. I love to play the game. The fans make me excited."

Jennings caught 80 passes for 1,292 yards and nine touchdowns last season. Driver finished with 74 receptions for 1,012 yards and five touchdowns last season.

Back
Top Bottom