The Official NBA Season Thread: Woj Retires

If the city of Toronto wanted to retire Vince Carter's jersey, I would understand it completely.

This younger generation of stars have outwardly expressed how HE is mostly responsible (Along with Nash) for the basketball boom this city has seen over the last 20 years. ( Maybe osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh can speak on it. No pressure )

So yea, TO ME, The Raptors throwing his #15 up in the rafters is a no-brainer.

vince is a unique thing, as a player along he's not qualified for a jersey retirement,
but he basically built basketball in canada, way more than Nash.

he really shifted the sporting culture of a country.

When I was a kid, EVERYONE played street hockey, and had hockey nets. by the time I became and adult, now the standard at home sport is a basketball hoop. barely see street hockey any more.

that change basically tracks with vinces rise in popularity.

vince is a unique thing, as a player along he's not qualified for a jersey retirement,
but he basically built basketball in canada, way more than Nash.

he really shifted the sporting culture of a country.

When I was a kid, EVERYONE played street hockey, and had hockey nets. by the time I became and adult, now the standard at home sport is a basketball hoop. barely see street hockey any more.

that change basically tracks with vinces rise in popularity.
The influence coast to coast is legitimately undeniable :lol:

Why I kept saying yesterday that it wasn't strictly an ode to his actual on court accolades like some folks kept getting hung up on so much as his far reaching impact on the game in a country that wasn't basketball crazy yet when he started.

Had so many of the kids who would traditionally pick up hockey, start playing and loving basketball almost directly because of VC and his escapades :lol:

He came through before Nash's peak too so he was the first real 'superstar' associated to the country so he was the main pioneer.

The influence coast to coast is legitimately undeniable :lol:

Why I kept saying yesterday that it wasn't strictly an ode to his actual on court accolades like some folks kept getting hung up on so much as his far reaching impact on the game in a country that wasn't basketball crazy yet when he started.

Had so many of the kids who would traditionally pick up hockey, start playing and loving basketball almost directly because of VC and his escapades :lol:

He came through before Nash's peak too so he was the first real 'superstar' associated to the country so he was the main pioneer.

yah NOBODY cared about Nash when I was a kid. not even a little. it was ALL VC.

i wasn't untill nash won the MVPs then people cared a bit.

If the city of Toronto wanted to retire Vince Carter's jersey, I would understand it completely.

This younger generation of stars have outwardly expressed how HE is mostly responsible (Along with Nash) for the basketball boom this city has seen over the last 20 years. ( Maybe osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh can speak on it. No pressure )

So yea, TO ME, The Raptors throwing his #15 up in the rafters is a no-brainer.

Vince was Canadian basketball. He put the whole country on the map. I would even go as far as saying that VCs impact on Canadian basketball is equivalent to Yao's impact on Chinese basketball (during their playing days, not post retirement). The scale is obviously different, but the impact is the same.

This isn't true in the slightest.
Are you familar with lebrons training and what he prioritizes? Lebron has always been a fitness dude. Once he got back to Cleveland for the 2nd stint he's invested tons of money in his body and making sure he's well rested and moving the right way. I'm not saying he was like this his whole career.

Kawhi wanted to LEAVE Toronto as well…. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But Vince.

Kawhi was out of Toronto before the sweat dried off the Larry O’Brien trophy, Kawhi hauled a***

Kawhi did not want to leave Toronto, he wanted to go home to San Diego. Big difference.

And no, he wasn't out of Toronto the next day, he met with management a few times in Toronto and literally had helicopters follow him. It was not an easy decision for him and it only got solidified that he's going to LA after they traded another superstar for him.

Ask any of the many Canadians in the league now who inspired them and made them believe they could actually play in the NBA and they'll all give you the same answer and it's not Nash :lol:

Nash is revered for sure but he wasn't a needle/culture mover like Vince and that's no knock on him. Just that VC was Skywalker

SGA fries him too, albeit in a much small sample size. But nice for Caruso that’s now on Shai’s team and out of Brunson’s conference.

Shai and Brunson both have shifty games so Caruso practicing with SGA may help him guard the likes of Brunson better.

Are you familar with lebrons training and what he prioritizes? Lebron has always been a fitness dude. Once he got back to Cleveland for the 2nd stint he's invested tons of money in his body and making sure he's well rested and moving the right way. I'm not saying he was like this his whole career.

Very much so.

But that doesn't mean he hasn't also developed his game skill wise as well. Watching Lebron play in the early 2010's vs now is 2 completely different players.

If you influence the most influential then you are the most influential. Michael Jordan is the most influential athlete ever let alone basketball player. The first thing people say when they are dominate in any sport is "they are the Michael Jordan of...."

• Haha
Reactions: HIM
Eh.

Jordan's peak was for like 6 years. Longevity isn't there and his influence isn't as strong as before. Aged out.

Still see the impacts of A.I., Steph, Bron and Kobe at all levels of basketball. No one trying to be like Mike no more.

90's are over. Jordan is just the guy Travis scott uses for his collabs man.

Very much so.

But that doesn't mean he hasn't also developed his game skill wise as well. Watching Lebron play in the early 2010's vs now is 2 completely different players.
For sure, but when LeBron is locked in and really ready to take over, till this day he's going to his bread and butter. Which is being a freak of nature, getting downhill and making plays. And he's been doing that since he was 18. I agree his game is not the exact same, however he can still show flashes of his old self more than any other aging athletic player I have ever seen. And that's not due to working on mid range jumpers all day, that's from focusing on health and longevity.

You do not score 40k points at 6’8” off of layups :lol:

This has always been the issue with people’s perception of him, going back to the “Melo is a better pure scorer” days

Only player that has a solid case for being a better pure scorer than Bron is KD.

That applies to MJ and Kobe too. Lets talk about it.

You do not score 40k points at 6’8” off of layups :lol:

This has always been the issue with people’s perception of him, going back to the “Melo is a better pure scorer” days
Best scorer I've seen is KD but Bron is absolutely top 5, bag discourse doesn't change reality :lol:.

Like you said, he didn't bully his way to the scoring record and he's actually refined and improved his offensive repertoire over time to adapt to the changes and evolution within the game.

Back
Top Bottom