THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Why not? They doing it with lebron and other shoes...

I be wondering who on earth has the money to buy all these shoes if we are in a recession? :lol: ever y jordan retro sells out like are these people really wasting money every month on some 200 dollar crappy quality shoes,??? They are shoes! Not food! Some people have terrible priorities lol

It's just hard to fathom that with things still not peachy economically, Nike has the balls to do this with the Kobe line. The people that would want these shoes the most, i.e. teenagers, inner city kids, etc., will never touch these. My good friend's father is pretty high up in the Nike Golf department and has friends associated with other lines of the business. He even said that half the things he buys wouldn't be bought unless he got that discount. I asked him how they are able to get away with price hikes across the board, including tee-shirts costing upwards of 30 and shoes being made with cheaper materials but higher pricing. He tried to explain it, but then at the end capped it off with "at the end of the day, they do it because they can, and know people will still buy due to the cult-like following."

That last statement kinda hit because, I mean, look at all of us. I'm not knocking it one bit, but the fact there is a Niketalk and there are sneaker boards designed for people to know about shoes and obtain shoes, sometimes at any cost (as we all have seen here and there) shows that is there anyone really to blame but ourselves? I am definitely going to take a stand from here on out, not because I can't afford a pair that costs $220 here and there (hell, not on the reg tho lol), but because when will it end? People keep saying the bubble will burst, but unless it's across the board and widespread with the "boycott" nothing will change.

Justify it however you want, but I guarantee Kobe 9's will sell well, and Nike will find a reason to charge more and more. As consumers, we allow them to do this, so either take a stand or keep buying, but don't complain and then come on here saying "welp, had to do it", because that is exactly why it is "justified" in the eyes of corporations like Nike.

Just my $0.02, sorry for the long post.

Nike is the #1 Marketing company in the world...period.

Many will argue that Apple is, but they're not. They get people to line up occasionally for their products...like, what...once a year? Whereas Nike gets people to line up for their products pretty much every weekend at this point...

JM

Nike is the #1 Marketing company in the world...period.

Many will argue that Apple is, but they're not. They get people to line up occasionally for their products...like, what...once a year? Whereas Nike gets people to line up for their products pretty much every weekend at this point...

JM
I'm inclined to agree with you, but I consider your argument comparing apples to oranges. Nike's business model is to release new product every week. It's impossible to expect Apple to drop a new iProduct weekly. I also think Apple has a stronger brand loyalty than Nike. Considering Apple's marketshare a decade ago, that's pretty impressive.

FYI - I'm an Apple hater, but I do acknowledge that their marketing strategy is superb. 

Last edited:
well duh man if u honestly didnt realize that they increase the price because at the end of the day people will still pay up then youve been blinded... just look at JB quality and youd have your answer people who can compare the quality of jordan retros produced prior to 2003 to what it is now will tell you that now a days they only sell because of the branding not because of great quality. kids see it as a fashion trend. those recent 3lab5s would not have sold out if it didnt have a jumpman on it. they woulda got major hate if it was reebok or adidas... and yes they are designed for kobe specifically its his signature shoe so if your looking for a shoe that is for thd general public stick with a hyperdunk... ive always wondered what kobes favorite shoe is specifically were he ranks the 7 due to the majority of kobe collectors complaining about it maybe to him they're in his top 3... they are again designed for him.
uhh what? i couldnt stop staring at that avy to read your posts 

laugh.gif

Last edited:
It's just hard to fathom that with things still not peachy economically, Nike has the balls to do this with the Kobe line. The people that would want these shoes the most, i.e. teenagers, inner city kids, etc., will never touch these. My good friend's father is pretty high up in the Nike Golf department and has friends associated with other lines of the business. He even said that half the things he buys wouldn't be bought unless he got that discount. I asked him how they are able to get away with price hikes across the board, including tee-shirts costing upwards of 30 and shoes being made with cheaper materials but higher pricing. He tried to explain it, but then at the end capped it off with "at the end of the day, they do it because they can, and know people will still buy due to the cult-like following."

That last statement kinda hit because, I mean, look at all of us. I'm not knocking it one bit, but the fact there is a Niketalk and there are sneaker boards designed for people to know about shoes and obtain shoes, sometimes at any cost (as we all have seen here and there) shows that is there anyone really to blame but ourselves? I am definitely going to take a stand from here on out, not because I can't afford a pair that costs $220 here and there (hell, not on the reg tho lol), but because when will it end? People keep saying the bubble will burst, but unless it's across the board and widespread with the "boycott" nothing will change.

Justify it however you want, but I guarantee Kobe 9's will sell well, and Nike will find a reason to charge more and more. As consumers, we allow them to do this, so either take a stand or keep buying, but don't complain and then come on here saying "welp, had to do it", because that is exactly why it is "justified" in the eyes of corporations like Nike.

Just my $0.02, sorry for the long post.

You're right on the money, I currently have 17 or 18 (in the middle of a move, can't be sure) of Kobe 8s. I can afford to buy any and all Kobe 9s I want. However, I can't justify the $80 increase to myself so im literally capping myself at 3 pairs tops. I'll find something else to spend the money on, but it won't be on a shoe that is getting a 57% price increase. I'm well aware of inflation, but give me a break.

Last edited:
You're right on the money, I currently have 17 or 18 (in the middle of a move, can't be sure) of Kobe 8s. I can afford to buy any and all Kobe 9s I want. However, I can't justify the $80 increase to myself so im literally capping myself at 3 pairs tops. I'll find something else to spend the money on, but it won't be on a shoe that is getting a 57% price increase. I'm well aware of inflation, but give me a break.

How do you know that it's not justified? Even before seeing the product? Seriously, you're honestly telling me that there's nothing they can do to warrant an 80$ increase??? They put a tiny carbon fiber upgrade, replace the tongue and put 6 nylon strands on the toe and that's a $60 bump. How many Elite Kobe 8s do you have?

Having a justified price increase is DIFFERENT from being "ok" with it. I hope I'm making a point here... If they increase the price to 300$ but they include a jetback booster with light up details, would that not justify an increase? Cmon man, the shoe will be made out of Flyknit. Let's go back to the discussion a few weeks back, a regular Flyknit upper on a free sole is how much?

How do you know that it's not justified? Even before seeing the product? Seriously, you're honestly telling me that there's nothing they can do to warrant an 80$ increase??? They put a tiny carbon fiber upgrade, replace the tongue and put 6 nylon strands on the toe and that's a $60 bump. How many Elite Kobe 8s do you have?

Having a justified price increase is DIFFERENT from being "ok" with it. I hope I'm making a point here... If they increase the price to 300$ but they include a jetback booster with light up details, would that not justify an increase? Cmon man, the shoe will be made out of Flyknit. Let's go back to the discussion a few weeks back, a regular Flyknit upper on a free sole is how much?
I hate how people have to feel like a price-increase was "justified". Nike doesnt owe you anything. They can charge whatever they want. Its your choice as the consumer to choose to purchase or not. Personally i dont see myself copping unless the go to around 180 or 160 but im cheap.

There is nothing that anyone could say that will justify a 220 dollar price point for a shoe, that is possibly made from the same materials as my trash can, and I do not care as to whose name is placed upon them. It is an insult to my intelligence, as I can buy a pair of Allen Edmonds dress shoes for that same price after taxes, which would last me for at least ten years, especially if cared for properly. I know, my position is based upon value and then quality construction, durability, looks and resilience. Perhaps fans of Bryant and some sneakerheads will be enamored due to the novelty of Kobe's shoe, but those of us who do not fit into this category, are not going to go for the performance shoe angle, not when there are lesser priced shoes out there, that are far better not only for your feet and game, but for your wallet as well over the long haul.

Nobody, and not even Kobe Bryant, needs a two hundred twenty dollar shoe to play basketball in.

Where is Starbury when you need him?!
laugh.gif

Y'all be cool...
pimp.gif

You think the price increase is a reflection of the materials used or Nike adjusting price based on the reseller market? Maybe both?

I think you read my post, but then added words or something. I said *I* can't justify the price increase. I didn't say Nike couldn't do anything that would make it understandable. I'm saying from my personal standpoint, I refuse to pay 57% higher no matter what they do. I own 0 pair of Kobe 8 Elites. But um yea, there's nothing anyone can say about me feeling as though there's nothing they can do for me to pay the extra because its a personal choice and opinion.

I hate how people have to feel like a price-increase was "justified". Nike doesnt owe you anything. They can charge whatever they want. Its your choice as the consumer to choose to purchase or not. Personally i dont see myself copping unless the go to around 180 or 160 but im cheap.

Perhaps you misread my post as well. I didn't say they HAD to justify anything to me. I said I can't justify it to MYSELF. Also never said nor do I feel Nike owes me anything. I simply said exactly what you just did and that is I choose not to buy at that price point. Man, it seems some people take the slightest little post around here, add to it or read way further into it and run as fast as they can with it. My post summed up said - I don't want to pay 220, I'm not paying 220 and if there are a few ones I just must have, 3 is my limit at a price point of 220.

You think the price increase is a reflection of the materials used or Nike adjusting price based on the reseller market? Maybe both?
if anything they woulda adjusted the jordans to higher price if it really is due to resellers... kobes arent a resellers dream so to say. unless theyre really limited or China exclusive... youve heard it in the kobe 8 thread, "$300 for a kobe? yea ill pass on that like Magic Johnson."

...what? Why would you hate people for wanting Nike to use better materials/tech if NIke's going to be charging more and more money for their products? Of course Nike can charge whatever the hell they want and doesn't "owe" its consumers anything. Nike's solely out for money like any other company at the end of the day. But I have no idea why you, as a consumer that can still spend plenty of money on shoes (especially if $160 or $180 retail is fine for you), would NOT want people to demand Nike to keep improving their products? Nobody likes price increases period. But if they're gonna do it, I'd much rather Nike try to back that up by improving their product, then I'll decide for myself whether or not it's worth it. I see absolutely zero problem with consumers demanding more from a multi-billionaire dollar company in any situation.

Last edited:
i think we might get a xmas 9, that will be the first cw we get then we wait till feb. for the official release

I forgot about the HTM pair that's supposed to come in December. I guess that would fill in as the Christmas pair.

There is nothing that anyone could say that will justify a 220 dollar price point for a shoe, that is possibly made from the same materials as my trash can, and I do not care as to whose name is placed upon them. It is an insult to my intelligence, as I can buy a pair of Allen Edmonds dress shoes for that same price after taxes, which would last me for at least ten years, especially if cared for properly. I know, my position is based upon value and then quality construction, durability, looks and resilience. Perhaps fans of Bryant and some sneakerheads will be enamored due to the novelty of Kobe's shoe, but those of us who do not fit into this category, are not going to go for the performance shoe angle, not when there are lesser priced shoes out there, that are far better not only for your feet and game, but for your wallet as well over the long haul.

Nobody, and not even Kobe Bryant, needs a two hundred twenty dollar shoe to play basketball in.

Where is Starbury when you need him?!:lol:

Y'all be cool...:pimp:

Honestly can't tell if you were trying to be funny or you don't see the hypocrisy in your own post...

JM

Back
Top Bottom