* The Official Jay-Z: Blueprint 3 Post [3rd single: Empire State Of Mind]

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

Originally Posted by Master Zik

How many of you guys that don't like this album realize that it's not meant to be understood today? Now I'm not one to make excuses for music.
Then don't. Seems like you're making the same excuse for this that you made for KC. It'll be appreciated or recognized as a classic years from now when we're all 40 or some !%%#.

It's part of the BP series, he's allegedly setting up a new blueprint for hip hop albums? I'm all for a new lane in hip hop and a diff direction but I don't want everyone jocking him and doing this !%%# cuz all of this is not good music, no theme or direction. Just a lot of new sounds being used for him.

I thought I disagreed when somebody said right now he's only doing this for the love and nothing else but I'd seriously prefer that to him thinking he can make this a new movement in hip hop. I said it earlier but Jay isn't gonna be the one to usher in the new era of hip hop. If this is the music he wants to make now tho, fine let him do him. No reason to front on it and act like it's better than it is.

That's so false...
laugh.gif

I'll say this one more time. I'm not even trying to convince anybody of anything. Let me use Jthgreat as an example real quick. That man has the same opinion of the 1st BP as I do. He just does. I didn't convince him or anything. Because he sees that album the way I do, he relates to why I see BP3 the way I do. I'm willing to bet that more than a few people agree with me. I'll use Reasonable Doubt as precedence here. A lot of Jay-Z's brilliance is under appreciated at first. I myself did not even almost like RD until after The Blueprint.

Were your ears not cleaned out? or were you heavily drugged? I can understand if you never heard RD and BP made you go back and listen to it but Idon't follow not liking RD.

I've experienced not feeling an album but giving it more spins and letting it grow on me but there's always the opposite where some songs are just notworth playing again.

As far as the theme on this album outside of a handful of tracks(Already Home, Reminder, Thank You, On To The Next One, and D.O.A.) what is the theme of thisalbum? It makes it worse that all of the songs not going anywhere aren't that good. I should've mentioned the tracks that do but for a 15 track album,no.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

How many of you guys that don't like this album realize that it's not meant to be understood today? Now I'm not one to make excuses for music. I tend to let it speak for itself. But this album is Jay-Z's forecast for the future of rap and I see what he did there. The Drake song with the high energy beat? That's a brilliant idea. If that concept takes off and becomes the next "in" thing, you can attribute it to Jay-Z's influence. "A Star Is Born" is J. Cole "Touch The Sky"... need I say more? Jay knows what he's doing when he makes an album and it's ridiculous how slick he is with his undertones. I was listening to this CD with my cousin last night and he skipped through most of it up until like track 8. Then when I told him that this album was more than just music and that it's actually a culture compass, he started the album over and his eyes lit up, real talk. You could see the light bulb go off
grin.gif
. I love this CD man. It's so tomorrow, or at least Jay--Z's perspective of what tomorrow sounds like. Just look at the tracklist. Half the songs are about his legacy and what he's done and the other half are about what rap is about to do and where it's about to go. It's brilliant, and rightfully titled The Blueprint (3), unlike the Blueprint 2 -- which was not intended (or didn't come off as) a vision of what rap should/would sound like. My point, if you're listening to the music with the wrong perspective, don't expect to get the bigger picture. If you don't want to see that picture, that's cool to. If you want the old Hov, buy is old albums
grin.gif

That's Kanye's work not him. Kanye is music's Warhole, he transforms pop music into a hip-hop form. Jay has no part in that. Unfortunatly this board only listens to hip-hop so it fails to realize this is hip-hop conforming to where music as a whole is headed, not Jay predicting where music will be. I know a lot of y'all in in the midwest and in butt**** nowhere but the electro sound on this album is something we really haven't heard from Jay before, but that is where music as a whole is headed. You go to any other country in the world, and despite the regional music that have, it is straight electro music.

Jay's rapping on this album sucks. Point blank.
Assuming you're right, is Jay-Z not rap's most notable ambassador? If ALL of music is headed in said direction, would not one expect Jay-Zto be the one to take "pure" hip-hop there? whether his rap "sucks" or not is subjective so I have no opinion on that statement of yours.
Were your ears not cleaned out? or were you heavily drugged? I can understand if you never heard RD and BP made you go back and listen to it but I don't follow not liking RD.
I must be the only real __ left on NT.... dude... I was 8 in 1996. Real talk. My favorite "rapper" was Puff Daddy. My point, EVERYTHING is so incredibly relative... so no, I didn't like the album. But I also don't knockmyself or anybody else, grown or otherwise, that liked shiny suit diddy. It's ALL subjective. At the time, diddy made more sense to me and meant more tome and MOST of the hip-hop world. But I guess I'm the only __ real enough to admit it.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

DearWinter219 wrote:

How many of you guys that don't like this album realize that it's not meant to be understood today? Now I'm not one to make excuses for
music. I tend to let it speak for itself. But this album is Jay-Z's forecast for the future of rap and I see what he did there. The Drake song with the
high energy beat? That's a brilliant idea. If that concept takes off and becomes the next "in" thing, you can attribute it to Jay-Z's
influence. "A Star Is Born" is J. Cole "Touch The Sky"... need I say more? Jay knows what he's doing when he makes an album and
it's ridiculous how slick he is with his undertones. I was listening to this CD with my cousin last night and he skipped through most of it up until like
track 8. Then when I told him that this album was more than just music and that it's actually a culture compass, he started the album over and
his eyes lit up, real talk. You could see the light bulb go off
grin.gif
. I love this CD man.
It's so tomorrow, or at least Jay--Z's perspective of what tomorrow sounds like. Just look at the tracklist. Half the songs are about his
legacy and what he's done and the other half are about what rap is about to do and where it's about to go. It's brilliant, and rightfully titled
The Blueprint (3), unlike the Blueprint 2 -- which was not intended (or didn't come off as) a vision of what rap should/would sound like. My point, if
you're listening to the music with the wrong perspective, don't expect to get the bigger picture. If you don't want to see that picture,
that's cool to. If you want the old Hov, buy is old albums
grin.gif

That's Kanye's work not him. Kanye is music's Warhole, he transforms pop music into a hip-hop form. Jay has no part in that. Unfortunatly this
board only listens to hip-hop so it fails to realize this is hip-hop conforming to where music as a whole is headed, not Jay predicting where music will be. I
know a lot of y'all in in the midwest and in butt**** nowhere but the electro sound on this album is something we really haven't heard from Jay before,
but that is where music as a whole is headed. You go to any other country in the world, and despite the regional music that have, it is straight electro music.

Jay's rapping on this album sucks. Point blank.
Assuming you're right, is Jay-Z not rap's most notable ambassador? If ALL of music is headed in said direction, would not one expect Jay-Z to be the one to take "pure" hip-hop there? whether his rap "sucks" or not is subjective so I have no opinion on that statement of yours.
Were your ears not cleaned out? or were you heavily drugged? I can
understand if you never heard RD and BP made you go back and listen to
it but I
don't follow not liking RD.

I must be the only real __ left on NT.... dude... I was 8 in 1996. Real talk. My favorite "rapper" was Puff Daddy. My point, EVERYTHING is so incredibly relative... so no, I didn't like the album. But I also don't knock myself or anybody else, grown or otherwise, that liked shiny suit diddy. It's ALL subjective. At the time, diddy made more sense to me and meant more to me and MOST of the hip-hop world. But I guess I'm the only __ real enough to admit it.

Kanye was already the ambassador that took it there with 808's. Kanye is the one that is ahead of the curve, he was before with the high pitched samplesand the sound on the blueprint and CD. Though I'm not in love with 808's but that album is gonna change the sound of hip-hop for a while and Kanye isthe catalyst for that.

Were your ears not cleaned out? or were you heavily drugged? I can understand if you never heard RD and BP made you go back and listen to it but I don't follow not liking RD.
I must be the only real __ left on NT.... dude... I was 8 in 1996. Real talk. My favorite "rapper" was Puff Daddy. My point, EVERYTHING is so incredibly relative... so no, I didn't like the album. But I also don't knock myself or anybody else, grown or otherwise, that liked shiny suit diddy. It's ALL subjective. At the time, diddy made more sense to me and meant more to me and MOST of the hip-hop world. But I guess I'm the only __ real enough to admit it.

laugh.gif
+%@!# that don't count. You weren't even able tounderstand the lyricism at the time as was I when it first dropped. I'm talking about listening to the album when you're able to form a respectableopinion on the music. Not I didn't like RD cuz it didn't have any beats like Been Around The World or some ##+@ like that. I heard Illmatic as a kidcuz my brother bought it do you think I even recall anything but the beats? Unless you a genius an 8 year old's opinion on most albums don't reallycount even if you said you loved RD when you first heard it and then said you were 8 I woulda
laugh.gif
cuz chances are you wouldn't love it for the same reasons you love it now.

So if you were talking about growing to like an album in that context fine. I'm talking about now where we all have our own ideas of good music and more sothan that upon a first listen can be honest about if we're feeling something or not.

Bone was probably number 2..

Actually, it was probably Pac THEN Diddy, then Bone, and Biggie. That's as much as I can remember listening to in my cousins living room.

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Though I'm not in love with 808's but that album is gonna change the sound of hip-hop for a while and Kanye is the catalyst for that.
Wasn't even a Hip Hop album...

I was a fan of Pac then for all the wrong reasons (image, being from the west coast, etc). Now I am a fan of pac because I truly love his music

Kanye was already the ambassador that took it there with 808's. Kanye is the one that is ahead of the curve, he was before with the high pitched samples and the sound on the blueprint and CD. Though I'm not in love with 808's but that album is gonna change the sound of hip-hop for a while and Kanye is the catalyst for that.

It ain't a damn thing innovative with 808s... I have NOT heard it, but I assume that it's the same flavor as The Love Below with autotune and highfashion references, right? Pass. Too much weak sauce for me. Kanye is such a wimp these days
smh.gif

image #!+!% that don't count. You weren't even able to understand the lyricism at the time as was I when it first dropped. I'm talking about listening to the album when you're able to form a respectable opinion on the music. Not I didn't like RD cuz it didn't have any beats like Been Around The World or some !!%* like that. I heard Illmatic as a kid cuz my brother bought it do you think I even recall anything but the beats? Unless you a genius an 8 year old's opinion on most albums don't really count even if you said you loved RD when you first heard it and then said you were 8 I woulda image cuz chances are you wouldn't love it for the same reasons you love it now.

We're talking about the same thing though. It's all about PERSPECTIVE and relativity. You're picking apart the analogy in it's time frameinstead of comparing it to what's going on today. If I wasn't old enough to appreciate RD at 8 years old, what makes you think you have the properperspective to analyze BP3, when the author of the album is so much older and different from yourself? If Jay-Z at age 20-something didn't even think likeJay-Z of today (evident by the change in his music's ambiance in general), what makes you think you're suppossed to understand right now or that youwon't understand, and appreciate it, later? I see what he's doing and I appreciate it because I see myself following his blueprint for life.When I'm pushing 40 and looking back on what I've done, I can see myself saying "Thank you thank you thank you... you're far too kind!".I like that song. I love this album.
I was a fan of Pac then for all the wrong reasons (image, being from the west coast, etc). Now I am a fan of pac because I truly love his music
Yup. Me too. I was *taught* to like pac by my brother. We were just kids then though.

cosign @DearWinter219. the blueprint 3 is submerged in time delay sound.

@ airpenny1:

jay's been making electro music since kingdom come ("anything" and "hollywood"). in fact, that album contained a very progressive,uptempo, international sound upon its release.

as far as "jay's rapping on this album sucks"...

w/e dude.

laugh.gif
I'm saying though...who listening to $+%% like reasonable doubt at 8 years old.

But I knew all the words to Hypnotize though...

Originally Posted by AG 47

laugh.gif
I'm saying though...who listening to $+%% like reasonable doubt at 8 years old.

But I knew all the words to Hypnotize though...
I'm saying though...
laugh.gif
.. I ain't know what the hell I was saying but I knew how to say it dammit! I kinda miss when rap was way over myhead and just fun. That ignorance was pretty blissful, admit it
grin.gif

We're talking about the same thing though. It's all about PERSPECTIVE and relativity. You're picking apart the analogy in it's time frame instead of comparing it to what's going on today. If I wasn't old enough to appreciate RD at 8 years old, what makes you think you have the proper perspective to analyze BP3, when the author of the album is so much older and different from yourself? If Jay-Z at age 20-something didn't even think like Jay-Z of today (evident by the change in his music's ambiance in general), what makes you think you're suppossed to understand right now or that you won't understand, and appreciate it, later? I see what he's doing and I appreciate it because I see myself following his blueprint for life. When I'm pushing 40 and looking back on what I've done, I can see myself saying "Thank you thank you thank you... you're far too kind!". I like that song. I love this album.
So you're gauging how you will appreciate music on your age and the artist's age? That's some flawed logic. To assume that throwseverything off. Homey was 30 when RD dropped. Following this logic everybody who deemed it a classic in their teens and 20s can be calling it trash whenthey're 30. What makes me think I have the proper perspective to analyze BP3 is because the perspective is not new or foreign. What's being brought tothe table with BP3 isn't something that's never been heard especially from Jay.

Also from what you say how can you even go by any thing you think now if it's all about properperspective regarding age? You say you can see yourself at 40 liking Thank you but you aint 40 yet
laugh.gif
. You're saying we have to wait til were a certain age to properlyappreciate the music but you already got in your head that you will appreciate it when you're a certain age.

Furthermore, if you love this album now cool. If you think you'll like it when you're 40 fine but how you gonna tell other ppl what they think of thealbum especially if it's negative is cuz of their age or what there perspective is at that age. It is all relative. If it aint all good music, it aint allgood music.

How can you say an album is not innovative if you haven't listened to it? Give it a chance before you judge it, I'm not saying you will love it butgive it a chance. I didn't care for the album until I was lifted off the herb and heartless came on in the whip. I put it on blast and this was myreaction-
eek.gif
eek.gif
Once you get passed kanye's *****ing, the sound of the album is amazing. The influence of that album has already begun, trust me.

Originally Posted by ZSong

It's brilliant, and rightfully titled The Blueprint (3), unlike the Blueprint 2 -- which was not intended (or didn't come off as) a vision of what rap should/would sound like.
I agree with a lot of your points but about the bolded section right there...
you don't think "Excuse Me Miss" didn't switch the WHOLE game up?? and I don't mean JUST the music either

::
Continuing my metaphor... that's my favorite chapter in a very poorly structured book. I LOVE that song. I don't know if it had much cultural impact though. Enlighten me.
Watch the video on mute.
Then look at the hip-hop club scene from then on.
With 1 song/video, dude drastically changed the dress codes of so many places...albeit these were the clubs that were "previously shady" and NEEDEDthat overhaul
tongue.gif

Same thing goes for the attire in music videos

As for the song and music, you don't think afterwards that everybody started making 'grown & sexy' type rap songs..? hollering at The Neptunesfor those type of beats..?

Originally Posted by Master Zik

We're talking about the same thing though. It's all about PERSPECTIVE and relativity. You're picking apart the analogy in it's time frame instead of comparing it to what's going on today. If I wasn't old enough to appreciate RD at 8 years old, what makes you think you have the proper perspective to analyze BP3, when the author of the album is so much older and different from yourself? If Jay-Z at age 20-something didn't even think like Jay-Z of today (evident by the change in his music's ambiance in general), what makes you think you're suppossed to understand right now or that you won't understand, and appreciate it, later? I see what he's doing and I appreciate it because I see myself following his blueprint for life. When I'm pushing 40 and looking back on what I've done, I can see myself saying "Thank you thank you thank you... you're far too kind!". I like that song. I love this album.
So you're gauging how you will appreciate music on your age and the artist's age? That's some flawed logic. To assume that throws everything off. Homey was 30 when RD dropped. Following this logic everybody who deemed it a classic in their teens and 20s can be calling it trash when they're 30. What makes me think I have the proper perspective to analyze BP3 is because the perspective is not new or foreign. What's being brought to the table with BP3 isn't something that's never been heard especially from Jay.

Also from what you say how can you even go by any thing you think now if it's all about proper perspective regarding age? You say you can see yourself at 40 liking Thank you but you aint 40 yet
laugh.gif
. You're saying we have to wait til were a certain age to properly appreciate the music but you already got in your head that you will appreciate it when you're a certain age.

There you go. You must like arguing. Stop trying to BE right and look at WHAT'S right.

Jay was in his late 20s/early 30s rapping about his teens and early adulthood.. how old are YOU? Chances are, his tales (RD through BP) took place inside acertain age bracket that you yourself fall into. It's called young adulthood. Jay is now 40 for all intents and purposes. A grown @*% man. But he's notjust 40. He's 40 and INCREDIBLY rich. What makes you think the average 21 year old can relate? They can't. Unless...they are similar to Jay-Z in someway or plan on using his blueprint as an actual gameplan. Because I rap and because I like what Jay-Z has done so far,I am making an educated assumption that I will also like BP3 (and KC) when I get to that same place in my life. Ialready like the music as is, but it can only grow on me as it becomes more and more true to my world. I'm notsaying anything. I've already said everything.If you don't likeit...hell..don't like it then. French people eat frog legs. I think it's gross. But I don't knock them forit. It's all RELATIVE. But as a rapper that intends on seeing big money someday, I *get* it. I understand Shawn Carter the man, and Jay-Z the rapper.

It's brilliant, and rightfully titled The Blueprint (3), unlike the Blueprint 2 -- which was not intended (or didn't come off as) a vision of what rap should/would sound like.
I agree with a lot of your points but about the bolded section right there...
you don't think "Excuse Me Miss" didn't switch the WHOLE game up?? and I don't mean JUST the music either

Continuing my metaphor... that's my favorite chapter in a very poorly structured book. I LOVE that song. I don't know if it had much cultural impact though. Enlighten me.
Watch the video on mute.
Then look at the hip-hop club scene from then on.
With 1 song/video, dude drastically changed the dress codes of so many places...albeit these were the clubs that were "previously shady" and NEEDED that overhaul
tongue.gif

Same thing goes for the attire in music videos

As for the song and music, you don't think afterwards that everybody started making 'grown & sexy' type rap songs..? hollering at The Neptunes for those type of beats..?

Oh, most def. I never studied the video but I been gave Jay credit for changing the hip hop dress code and for bringing maturity to a very youngminded genre . You're spot on.
How can you say an album is not innovative if you haven't listened to it?

Well, it has predecessors that's how.

I like what Jay-Z has done so far, I am making an educated assumption that I will also like BP3 (and KC) when I get to that same place in my life. I already like the music as is, but it can only grow on me as it becomes more and more true to my world.
laugh.gif
but if someone doesn't like it now and don't seethemselves listening to it again they might need to bump this 20 years from now.

My whole point is there shouldn't be any *%#*$!+! excuses to hide behind on an album. The message on this album isn't cryptic. It's not a puzzle tobe solved. Both of us in our 20s understand where Jay is going with this album for the most part. You happen to love it now. I've stood by this being asolid album with me only loving 5 songs and seeing me consistently bumping those 5. To say someone who doesn'tlike it now might wanna give it a spin in their 40s defeats the purpose to me. IMO good music doesn't get denied like that. If it aint your sound andyou're not feeling it, okay but if somebody just doesn't like it compared to his previous work they just might be right.

I happen to agree that this shouldn't have been titled BP3 but it was
Furthermore, if you love this album now cool. If you think you'll like it when you're 40 fine but how you gonna tell other ppl what they think of the album especially if it's negative is cuz of their age or what there perspective is at that age. It is all relative. If it aint all good music, it aint all good music.
If it wasn't caught before.

Just listened to the album all the way threw. I like it, the wordplay on Venus vs. Mars was
eek.gif
. Had people near me looking at me crazy here at the office when that wasplaying. I was really feeling Empire State of Mind. I loved the breakdown on A Star is Born. This truly isn't like the typical Jay album, it's verydifferent, I know some people won't feel like just for it being so different, but I liked what I heard off the first listen. I'm bout to listen somemore.

Back
Top Bottom