The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

^Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

definitely should give a shot and catch up on, story is picking up and it might go down next episode.

gifted my dvd version of fma.

Needed a reason to cop this.

81w16gSXgKL._SY445_.jpg

"To obtain, something of equal value must be lost."
pimp.gif

BRUH.

WORLD TRIGGER BE ON SOMETHING SOMETIMES. I WAS REALLY HOPING THE TOP TEAMS B-RANK TOURNAMENT WAS GONNA START THIS PAST EPISODE :smh: :frown:

Last edited:
Im still a bit confused about alchemy. So there are different elements they can do or is it like ninjutsu and secret arts

Im still a bit confused about alchemy. So there are different elements they can do or is it like ninjutsu and secret arts

Alchemy involves the Alchemists in question transmuting, or altering/manipulating, different substances in the world around them to achieve a given effect.

So take this for example

Roy Mustang, The Flame Alchemist, is actually transmuting oxygen and air when he snaps his fingers to create those fires. At the same time, Alchemy working is completely reliant on the Transmutation Circles that different Alchemists use. Different circles then aid in doing different things:

This is Roy's, which as I mentioned above is used for his flame-based alchemy.

These are Solf J. Kimblee's, which he used for his explosion-based alchemy:

In his case, he uses his alchemsy to disrupt the structure of various objects, creating an imbalance in them that leads to the resulting explosions. This is also done through his transmutation circles.

The transmutation circles people use are also very, very important in terms of the effects. You see that Roy can use one hand to create his flames by snapping. Kimblee however can't. He has to clap both hands together, which leads to him then being able to release the energy from both of his hands. That's because, as the pictures above show, Roy's Transmutation Circle that he draws on both of his gloves is complete and therefore, with each hand having the completed circle, he's capable of using one hand. Kimblee then has two different circles on his hands, which when combined (By him clapping his hands together), form a new, complete circle. The circle's on both of his hands are opposites, signalling imbalance, which is what he's then creating in any structure he transmutes.

So all Alchemy is about the same basic thing, people just utilize it in different ways, which is aided by the specific transmutation circles they are using.

Naturally, the most common type of Alchemy you see comes from the main characters, Edward and Alphonse Elric:

Don't know if you can see it, but if you look at Edward's hands he doesn't have any Transmutation Circles on either, unlike Mustang and Kimblee. This is due to him having passed through what is known as the Gate of Truth, which basically enabled him to transmute objects without a regular Transmutation Circle. Instead, he claps his hands together, just like Kimblee does, and is able to transmute whatever he wants. This is explained as the pose he makes when he's clapping his hands creating a circular formation through which the energy for the Alchemy flows instead. This makes him more versatile, as he's able to get around the need for the circle that Kimblee and Mustang have, as long as he understands what it is that the person is doing to cause the transmutation. This understanding is key for the series, as it's explained time and again that being an Alchemist requires a good deal of study into the sciences, because you need to know what it is you're transmuting in order to make it work at all.

So Edward and Alphone will typically transmute various things around them from one form into another, in which case they are just taking the same matter and reshaping it:

So it is similar to Naruto in a way, with the big difference being that there's a limit to what the average alchemist can accomplish with Transmutation. For example, Edo Tensei in Naruto allows you to revive the dead. Alchemist's can't do that. What Ninja can accomplish with Chakra in Naruto is generally on another level from what Alchemists can accomplish with Transmutation in Full metal Alchemist. In fact, trying to revive the dead is a specifically big no-no in the FMA world, due to the negative consequences even attempting to do so comes with. Though Alchemist's can do things like bind a person's soul to an object or combine two forms into one, it's a rare thing that can still come with negative side effects.

There's then the Philosopher's Stone:

Alchemy in FMA is based around the Law of Equivalent Exchange, which basically means that you can't create energy or matter from nothing or destroy them to the point that they don't exist. This goes back to what I was saying above how you see people only transmuting actual objects. Edward doesn't make that blade of his from thin air. He's taking the actual metal from his arm and reforming it. He's also only able to do this because there's enough metal to do so. So he couldn't for example take a coin and make that blade, because the coin wouldn't provide enough substance for it. This plays a small role in the series due to the fact that the Elric Brother's sometimes note they don't have enough raw material to make something. This law is also what makes it impossible to say turn rock into metal. The basic composition of a substance can't be changed.

The Philosopher's Stone then allows Alchemists to accomplish feats that they'd normally be incapable of, generally serving as a boost to the person's abilities. This doesn't allow them to fully override the Law of Equivalent Exchange, but they can push it to some extent by creating greater effects with their Alchemy.

So, there are again different types of Alchemy that lead to different effects, some of which can involve the manipulation of the elements, which is similar to how Ninja use their chakra, mold it, and then form it into different elements. Ninja in general however can use their chakra for far more things than Alchemists can, making them more versatile overall. There's also far less drawbacks and rules that they have to worry about in comparison.

Last edited:
This plays a small role in the series due to the fact that the Elric Brother's sometimes note they don't have enough raw material to make something. This law is also what makes it impossible to say turn rock into metal. The basic composition of a substance can't be changed.
About that part...
Just wanted to point out that when the gang start fighting Father/Homunculus towards the end of Brotherhood (which i just finished re-watching this morning), Izumi Curtis does just that. She makes two steel long swords out of stone. :lol:
Also, Ed was constantly making Winged Spears, with wooden shafts and metal blades, out of stone or dirt. :lol:
I believe those who pass through the gate can bypass that exception.

This plays a small role in the series due to the fact that the Elric Brother's sometimes note they don't have enough raw material to make something. This law is also what makes it impossible to say turn rock into metal. The basic composition of a substance can't be changed.
About that part...
Just wanted to point out that when the gang start fighting Father/Homunculus towards the end of Brotherhood (which i just finished re-watching this morning), Izumi Curtis does just that. She makes two steel long swords out of stone. :lol:
Also, Ed was constantly making Winged Spears, with wooden shafts and metal blades, out of stone or dirt. :lol:
I believe those who pass through the gate can bypass that exception.

Might be the case, didn't remember that. :lol: Probably does have to do with the Gate, just like the ability to transmute without circles.

Yeah my list of things I need to find oh watching keeps getting longer lol. I still need to finish Samurai Flamenco and DurararaX2 among other things

Yo, when Roy is mad and in the zone his Flame Alchemy is tough for anyone to defend against. So beastly.

I forgot to add weather and conditions permitting. That's why Hawkeye got the cal on her.

Mannnn now y'all got me ready to re-watch FMA: Brotherhood lol.

FMA Brotherhood is honestly one of my favorite anime of all time, would definitely place it on a top 10 list. Interesting characters, bright and fluid animation, unique power/ability sets, great fights, phenomonal storyline that introduced a lot of concepts, while wrapping all of them up by the series end. I really do want to buy some DVD's or Blue Rays for it.

Ed looks like a boss with the hair braid.

Anyone else think it's weird when you see a couple of people randomly have what looks like dreadlocks in an anime? Their teacher Izumi had some braids / dreadlocks hairstyle going on.

Jay im a day late but i repped you brotha. Ima give the og fma a try next week.

Very nice detailed explanation. What about scars alchemy tho?

Back
Top Bottom