The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Pele was another dude that had some wild fights back in IVC and WVC.

The old days when the netting/fencing wasn't as friendly and there were no gloves.

Last edited:
Pele was another dude that had some wild fights back in IVC and WVC.

The old days when the netting/fencing wasn't as friendly and their were no gloves.
yup! shame most current MMA have no clue about pele. pele was the original anderson silva.

pele vs macaco. one of the best rivalries ever in combat sports.

Last edited:
I've learned past few days this loss Conor took didn't really mean ****. People still love him, if anything he got even more shine. Dude still gonna run MMA

It actually does mean something it exposed Conor's lack of a ground game.

Lack of a ground game?

I think a lot of you need to go back and watch the fight again because Conor actually swept Nate in the first round, which would be damn near impossible for someone w/ no ground game to pull off on someone as good as Nate is on the ground.

Dude was dead tired when he got submitted, it wasn't because a lack of ground game.

I originally thought Conor would hurt Nate to the body. He threw a few good shots to the body and abandoned it. He busted up Nicks face and then got discouraged it didn't put him away, that's when he should have worked the body and so on. 170lb Conor isn't a good look, not only because of competition but the weight doesn't fit him well. Not as fluid, light on his feet as he was at 145lb. He said the energy level wasn't there and he didn't pace it out well, I believe that. Still needs a ton of work in other areas regardless.

that's a pancrase pankration fight and not vale tudo. strikes to the head have to be open hand.

i think nick was only 17 in that video.

the ones that trip me out are the wanderlei vale tudo fights. dude was straight up savage. 

Stand corrected. Video was so pixelated didn't even notice it was open-handed, definitely pankration.

Last edited:
Lack of a ground game?

I think a lot of you need to go back and watch the fight again because Conor actually swept Nate in the first round, which would be damn near impossible for someone w/ no ground game to pull off on someone as good as Nate is on the ground.

Dude was dead tired when he got submitted, it wasn't because a lack of ground game.
I don't know man, Conor's ground game is terrible. Mendes exposed it. Conor was out on his feet against Nate but he sure got transitioned and mounted like a warm knife through butter. He has no defense at the very least. Frankie and RDA will most likely continue to exploit it

Last edited:
I've learned past few days this loss Conor took didn't really mean ****. People still love him, if anything he got even more shine. Dude still gonna run MMA

It actually does mean something it exposed Conor's lack of a ground game.

Lack of a ground game?

ppl forget conor got rocked with punches prior
probably shot on instincts to protect himself, at that point he was dead. doesnt mean his ground gm is entry level, dude was just rocked and dead at that point. it was heading for a stoppage due to strike if he hadnt went for the takedown to buy some time
doesnt help that nate diaz is a top level BJJ, he schools a lot of guys, even top level

Last edited:
I'm sure conor has ground game, especially if he trains with Gunnar. I'd be willing to bet he focuses more on defending submissions and ground attacks than applying them. 

But at the end of the day, he looked like a child on the ground against Nate. Really beautiful work and that breakdown posted a page or two back really did a great job of summarizing it. 

Mendes didn't expose anything, he took him down like he does to everyone else.

I guess you can say he exposed his TDD if you want, but not his ability on the mat.

If Conor's ground game was terrible, Mendes would've submitted him and won that fight but Conor actually scrambled out of the submission attempt.

Conor got underneath Nate in that first round and swept him, you don't do that to BJJ black belts if you're a scrub on the mat.

Last edited by a moderator:
eddie bravo vouched for conor's BJJ. he said he came into his gym, and he was really good.

what conor really needs to address is his conditioning. its really, really bad. how are you going to be breathing that heavy after one round? this is the second time in three fights that he has completely gassed after the first round. 

Last edited:
Mendes didn't expose anything, he took him down like he does to everyone else.

If Conor's ground game was terrible, Mendes would've submitted him and won that fight but Conor actually scrambled out of the submission attempt.

Conor got underneath Nate in that first round and swept him.

You don't do that to BJJ black belts if you're a scrub on the mat.
Mendes came in on a week's notice with no cardio. Mendes would have subbed him on a full camp or grounded and pounded TKO'd Conor

You point to one sweep as to why Conor has a ground game, yet there is much evidence proving why it will be EASY for other grapplers to man handle him on the mat

Mendes needs a full camp to remember how to apply submissions now?

Stop pls.

One sweep, :lol:

Go talk to BJJ black belts and see if they get swept by scrubs on the mat.

Conor's lack of ability on the mat is largely overblown.

eddie bravo vouched for conor's BJJ. he said he came into his gym, and he was really good.

what conor really needs to address is his conditioning. its really, really bad. how are you going to be breathing that heavy after one round? this is the second time in three fights that he has completely gassed after the first round. 

Interesting to say the least. I know it wouldn't have mattered in this situation but I assumed Conor's BJJ was lacking. Gotta listen to the latest JRE podcast.

Last edited:
He gassed from the body work, not the lack of a camp.

Nate was a "fat boy in Cabo" just 2 weeks ago, he looked pretty good to me.

It's March 2016 and people are still making excuses for Chad, :lol:

He gassed from the body work, not the lack of a camp,
laugh.gif

Nate was a "fat boy in Cabo" just 2 weeks ago, he looked pretty good to me.

It's March 2016 and people are still making excuses for Chad,
laugh.gif
With that being said, you didn't answer why RDA and Frankie wouldn't have their way with Conor on the mat. Thoughts?

Btw, those aren't excuses, it's relevant to the discussion. I'm a Conor fan all the way, so it's anything but an excuse to bring up a short notice

Last edited:
I don't even like chad but he obviously didn't have much time to prepare and it's rare to see him gas.

Mendes needs a full camp to remember how to apply submissions now?

Stop pls.

One sweep,
laugh.gif

Go talk to BJJ black belts and see if they get swept by scrubs on the mat.

Conor's lack of ability on the mat is largely overblown.
not for nothing -- that statement sounds dumb AF -- It's obvious he was talking about having a full camp to be in proper shape for a high class fight ...LMAO!

Connor got knocked out Period - whether he got exposed or not - it doesn't matter. 

What we all saw was Connor lack of heart! when the going got though the though didn't get going, he looked like a fish out of water ... 

THAT'S FACTS B!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom