The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Yeah who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow happened in boxing though. O'Malley could pull a Francis at some point and simply leave. He definitely isn't a sucker when it comes to money

He's long been wise to the prize fighting game. He fired his whole management just to get to keep all of his money. He has always made it clear he is in this to get money and that's it. We'll learn more about his contract with the UFC and how long he's stuck there for
Yeah but like Francis and Conor before him, these MMA guys can only make one big boxing check. Unless Francis gets extremely lucky, Fury is not training at all and comes in over 300 lbs, or lets his brother fight for him, Francis is getting washed.

If Sean steps in front of a boxer like Tank, he is getting washed.

So he will have to go back to MMA if he wants to make more money beyond a high-profile boxing match.

Maybe if he is a free agent the PFL wants to throw a bag at him afterward, that could be a move. Because I doubt Dana goes along with a Tank fight in any way.

Last edited:
Yeah but like Francis and Conor before him, these MMA guys can only make one big boxing check. Unless Francis gets extremely lucky, Fury is not training at all and comes in over 300 lbs, or lets his brother fight for him, Francis is getting washed.

If Sean steps in front of a boxer like Tank, he is getting washed.

So he will have to go back to MMA if he wants to make more money beyond a high-profile boxing match.

Maybe if he is a free agent the PFL wants to throw a bag at him afterward, that could be a move. Because I doubt Dana goes along with a Tank fight in any way.
I think the fact that they have the ESPN deal actually is the biggest factor in not letting O'Malley box

Now that they have consistent flow of money coming in- they aren't desperate for cash (assuming this)

It’s always the same game…become champ, call out a boxing champ in a similar division, hopefully make generational wealth. Can’t be mad at Suga for trying.

But the lightning in the bottle of Conor isn’t quite there with Suga to give him the leverage. Conor was a two division champion and probably had 5-6 1 million buys PPV.

Vincent Van Goat Vincent Van Goat is there huge cash in Suga/Tank? And WME/Dana taking off the top.

It was sad seeing him fight yesterday. We all remember the check kick that led to the horrific Anderson leg break. He was not checking or returning leg kicks to Brad Tavares. By round two, he was a limping mess who had no method to beat Brad. The wrestling wasn’t working. There wasn’t a jab. No leg kicks.

It’s always the same game…become champ, call out a boxing champ in a similar division, hopefully make generational wealth. Can’t be mad at Suga for trying.

But the lightning in the bottle of Conor isn’t quite there with Suga to give him the leverage. Conor was a two division champion and probably had 5-6 1 million buys PPV.

Vincent Van Goat Vincent Van Goat is there huge cash in Suga/Tank? And WME/Dana taking off the top.
O'Malley has 3 million followers on IG
Tank has 5
Garcia has 10

Seems like there would need to be more work done on O'Malley's part to gain more eyeballs

A few title defenses and him vs Tank trash talk for the better part of a year might do it

Although just checked Twitter and O'Malley has more followers than both of them

Social media is such a weird metric for measuring possible revenue/PPV Buys.

Jake Paul has 24M followers. Nate has 6M. But I just don’t see it translating to 1 million buys (though it may have done that).

I think Francis/N’Gannou might be a good heat check. Though I’d say Suga is more popular than Francis.

Tank vs Garcia supposedly did 1.2 M buys...

Jake Paul:
“It’s looking like 500 plus pay-per-views. Biggest gate. And that’s U.S. pay-per-views so it means more because it costs more in the U.S. Massive number, massive success. There’s like statistics that show the Google searches from that night.”
“We’re number one most-searched Google trend by like ten times. Trended everywhere, biggest gate, biggest ticket sales, biggest sponsorships,”

This is not the first time that Paul’s fights have drawn in a huge audience. His fight with Tommy Fury sold 775,000 pay-per-views, showing that the ‘Problem Child’ is a commercial draw.

With the UFC restructuring some of the language in their contracts after Francis left, Sean won't be a free agent for a long time. If he signed a new deal before the Yan fight then the maximum length they could hold him til is 5 years from that fight date.

Sean's got a real good chance to break through the mainstream. Going to be real interesting to see how his run plays out and who he fights after Vera. I really hope it doesn't end up like McGregors LW run in terms of holding the division up and not letting the real contenders get their shot.

Did Conor really hold up the LW division like that.... I remember Khabib and Tony failing to make their championship fights a million times... were there other guys getting jammed up

Anyway- if O'Malley really did get a chance to box- wouldn't mind just seeing the rest of the division fight each other. It's talented enough to always have at least 2 viable contenders match up for a supposed title fight

I'm sure Dana is going to pimp O'Malley out though via the UFC for at least another year or so

Just watched Bisping, Izzy, Volk and DJ's reactions-- the energy definitely seems to be different in the sport on this one

Can't really compare it to Conor because they were just two completely different times in the sport

It's going to take something completely and totally outrageous for another Conor type dynamic

Did Conor really hold up the LW division like that.... I remember Khabib and Tony failing to make their championship fights a million times... were there other guys getting jammed up
Conor had the LW belt for almost 18 months before he got stripped and had the FW for almost a year before that. Tony pretty much got the rough end for Conor not vacating or defending. Tony would've been the champ instead of interim and they wouldn't have stripped him of the belt when he got injured. Missed out on being undisputed and getting that champ payday.

Sean plays the prize fighting game well so I get what he's doing but I don't see him fighting someone like Umar (when he eventually gets there) or even giving Merab his chance. I could see them letting him pick and choose his fights. Wouldn't surprise me one bit after Vera they match Cejudo and Yan with the winner fighting for the belt.

Conor had the LW belt for almost 18 months before he got stripped and had the FW for almost a year before that. Tony pretty much got the rough end for Conor not vacating or defending. Tony would've been the champ instead of interim and they wouldn't have stripped him of the belt when he got injured. Missed out on being undisputed and getting that champ payday.

Sean plays the prize fighting game well so I get what he's doing but I don't see him fighting someone like Umar (when he eventually gets there) or even giving Merab his chance. I could see them letting him pick and choose his fights. Wouldn't surprise me one bit after Vera they match Cejudo and Yan with the winner fighting for the belt.
Conor won the belt in November 2016

Tony vs Khabib interim title fight was scheduled for March 2017-- but Khabib couldn't make it

Tony still got to fight for the Interim in October 2017

Tony and Khabib both did themselves in with how many times they were supposed to fight for #1 contender or outright championship fights

Sean is pretty much at that star level of Izzy and Jones going off social engagements and reaction. If the real ppv numbers end up leaking then he'll be their main draw and headliner for the MSG/IFW ppvs.

He can definitely break through the mainstream and hit that next tier if he puts on a big performance against Chito then do the national talk show media rounds (GMA, Kimmel, TBC).

Conor won the belt in November 2016

Tony vs Khabib interim title fight was scheduled for March 2017-- but Khabib couldn't make it

Tony still got to fight for the Interim in October 2017

Tony and Khabib both did themselves in with how many times they were supposed to fight for #1 contender or outright championship fights
Yeah and Conor fought Mayweather in August 2017. Most knew he was never defending the belt after that. Some even thought he was never going to fight again.

Khabib was also already the #1 contender before Conor fought Eddie.

Cejudo will put the wrestle **** on that cotton candy vape cartridge the way Aljo should have. I think Aljos 2-3 fights from retirement nomatter what happens next. Hes gunna be 35. He's paid. His girl is beautiful his partners have successful real estate businesses. **** as a cash buyer he could clean up. Buy a whole block on strong island.

Back
Top Bottom