The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Watched just about every interview and pod and preview show so far

Really seems like Sterling is locked in and their camp is still thriving and hungry and has a bunch of dudes on the come up

It’s the perfect storm really

So long as the weight cut goes well I believe this is going to be a prime Sterling that enters the cage

Meanwhile omalley is just about the most uninteresting flashy dude I’ve ever seen. He’s so Damb boring and vanilla, makes sense he’s from Montana

Gonna say this again

I still don’t understand the ufc buildup week these days

They have two consecutive media days where the same questions are asked. Why have a media session Wednesday and another media session Thursday

Why did they start doing this lmao. It makes the week very repetitive

Just a way to pack the fans in and let some dumb questions be asked for click bait for Saturday

The short notice camp for Aljo while Sean's had almost a year to prepare is just hard to gloss over. I think Aljo gets him out late but would not be surprised at all if Omalley makes him run in to a KO at anytime.

Aljo kept dipping his head to a side with his hands low, to get out the pocket against Cejudo. Maybe it's cause he wasn't threatened by Cejudo throwing up a kick that way but if he does that against Omalley, he's getting slept at some point.

Sterling should have his guard up since there’s no wrestling threat

Their coaching too smart to not acknowledge the holes in the cejudo fight

Mike heck brought up a good point: O’Malley has nothing to lose

Even if he loses, he can fight anyone else and if he wins he’s relevant again and probably up for another title shot

He’s gonna be pushed by the ufc for a long time

I’ll go even further and point out he already has a loss on his record so there’s no pressure on keeping the 0

To me, having zero pressure is the biggest positive for O’Malley going in

It depends how he loses imo. If Aljo runs through him and gets him out there early and easy then I think his stock as being the next superstar takes a massive hit. If he loses in a close decision then he'll be able to recover.

I realize till is English but… darren till

If the ufc wants to push someone it won’t matter how he loses on Saturday- if he gets another win he’ll be right back to superstar

I’m sure there’s plenty of other examples of current stars who have lost bad and came back or still kept their superstardom

The short notice camp for Aljo while Sean's had almost a year to prepare is just hard to gloss over. I think Aljo gets him out late but would not be surprised at all if Omalley makes him run in to a KO at anytime.

Aljo kept dipping his head to a side with his hands low, to get out the pocket against Cejudo. Maybe it's cause he wasn't threatened by Cejudo throwing up a kick that way but if he does that against Omalley, he's getting slept at some point.
You sound like his coach, Tim Welch (SP). It sounds like they have a game plan. They've had a year to study their opponent.

Is a high kick coming? Or a feint to one of those precise punches?

Cejudo definitely had opportunities to beat Aljo. He just didn't capitalize. Sean says he's got good grappling. He's probably been working on his wrestling TDD. His coach says they found folks to emulate Aljo. Is this all talk? Or is this going to be McGregor/Khabib all over again?

Also LOL at the Theo Von appearance on Embedded part 4.

Till was star level I'm talking about Rousey, Conor 2015 run superstar feel. If Omalley KOs Aljo it'll start to feel like something specials brewing. If he loses that superstar feel is dead. He can still be a star though but not that big box office main stream break through feel imo, but I could always be wrong.

Well, yes, Ronda and conor are literal 1 in a Million

O’Malley is coming up in a different era of mma thanks to those two. He’s already rich rich without having half the success those two did to get their stardom

So it’s not exactly a linear conversation

Bottom line is he’s still going to be a huge name even if he loses bad on Saturday. If not conor, no biggie he’s still one win away from being a name brand

These gloves are dope:

1692302602433.png

https://sanabulsports.com/pages/giangalang

It depends how he loses imo. If Aljo runs through him and gets him out there early and easy then I think his stock as being the next superstar takes a massive hit. If he loses in a close decision then he'll be able to recover.
Anthony Pettis was never the same after RDA dominated him

I mean it’s always chance a guy gets his soul taken but Pettis was already champ and had been for the better part of 5 years

There’s a such thing as getting complacent and that probably played a part in his demise with the rda loss

Not really an apples to apples comparison

I don’t think that’s what O’Malley is facing on Saturday

Well, yes, Ronda and conor are literal 1 in a Million

O’Malley is coming up in a different era of mma thanks to those two. He’s already rich rich without having half the success those two did to get their stardom

So it’s not exactly a linear conversation

Bottom line is he’s still going to be a huge name even if he loses bad on Saturday. If not conor, no biggie he’s still one win away from being a name brand
Suga definitely has the machine behind him but we can't front he don't have business acumen to market himself on Twitch or create youtube content. He just might be the most popular BW thanks to the UFC not promoting their fighters. Chito is probably second. I think that's why Chito vs Suga is probably the fight to make (if they win or lose). Easy co main and star builder for both.

Now let me ask...not counting Ronda or Conor, are there fighters on the roster (besides JBJ) who are as popular as BJ, GSP, Rampage, Tito, Chuck Lidell, etc?

You really comparing Pettis to Suga?? There situations aren't remotely similar. Pettis was already champ, was on the Wheaties box and had built his brand up. Plus he had already beat some of the top guys impressively like his subs on Gilbert and Benson. Sean's star is on the rise but outside of Yan (who I think won that fight) no one else he's beat is still on the UFC roster.

Suga definitely has the machine behind him but we can't front he don't have business acumen to market himself on Twitch or create youtube content. He just might be the most popular BW thanks to the UFC not promoting their fighters. Chito is probably second. I think that's why Chito vs Suga is probably the fight to make (if they win or lose). Easy co main and star builder for both.

Now let me ask...not counting Ronda or Conor, are there fighters on the roster (besides JBJ) who are as popular as BJ, GSP, Rampage, Tito, Chuck Lidell, etc?
I'd argue Bones is the only somewhat household name and then some folks who don't follow MMA might know Izzy. Suga has been doing his share of media so if he gets a highlight reel win Saturday he would definitely start getting more eyes on him.

Well, you’re making my point lol

O’Malley knows how to make money and knows how to market himself. Nobody is arguing that the ufc made him who he is

He can make money on his own… which plays into his stardom and his ability to maintain it.. which is why even if he loses he won’t really have to do much to get right back to a name brand

Bringing up conor and Ronda is random. Ain’t nobody even making that argument that O’Malley is the next one of those- though he very well could be

If the biggest thing O’Malley has to lose on Saturday is not being the next conor mcgregor id say that’s A Ok lol. I highly doubt he’s even putting anywhere near that type of pressure on himself

So again: he has nothing to lose

He's said in multiple interviews that Conor is who he's basing his career off of and learning from. Wants a career like him to parlay things in the future.

So you think he’s putting that pressure on himself for this fight… I mean it’s clearly not that if you watch any of this weeks interviews

But again: even if he isn’t the next conor- ok? Lmao he’s still winning and will still have a huge chance to continue to be a star and a millionaire if he isn’t already one

Bruh, all im saying is he loses that chance of mainstream super stardom (Conor) with a loss :lol:. If he wins in spectacular fashion it'll have that feeling (like conor) that something special is brewing. He can still be a big house hold name but to say he has nothing to lose is wrong.

Ok let me restate for you then since you wanna nitpick lol

Pretty much the only thing O’Malley has to lose is his ability to become conor mcgregor

Other than that he has no pressure at all

You really comparing Pettis to Suga?? There situations aren't remotely similar. Pettis was already champ, was on the Wheaties box and had built his brand up. Plus he had already beat some of the top guys impressively like his subs on Gilbert and Benson. Sean's star is on the rise but outside of Yan (who I think won that fight) no one else he's beat is still on the UFC roster.
I think its a just comparison, let me tell you why....

Seans brand is already bigger than Pettis and im sure has made more money than him already, he's basically achieved all the perks of being a champ already by self promotion...

both stand up, flashy strikers, similar frame, both fan friendly, both have/had the UFC machine behind them

Pettis was being protected and guided very similar to the way McGregor, and how Sean is now.

Pettis, Mcgregor, and now Sean didn't see wrestlers/grapplers (unfavorable matchups) until they were in title fights.

When Pettis finally got matched up against a decent wrestler/grappler he got exposed, lost his ability to pick his matchups and never was same after guys had the blueprint.

I suggested this is a possible outcome for Sean if he gets dominated by a heavy wrestling game plan.

Back
Top Bottom