The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

DDP is a clown there's not much more to it, throwing rocks and hiding his hands. Could get into the history of what his folks (and europe as a whole) did in South Africa but whatever. Just would like to see Izzy come in with the right strategy and mindset so he can faceplant that clown.

As far as Topuria, I'm just not super impressed. If he can beat Max, even at this stage in his career, I'll walk it back. But I don't think that happens. To me he looks like a young grappler with some power in his hands that's developing his standup. It ain't championship level ready imo but I guess we'll see.

I don't think he has much more than a puncher's chance against Volk, and I mean he couldn't even finish Emmet, but who knows, maybe he can pull out a surprise.

This is both incredibly sad and admirable at the same time

“Pantoja had just beaten Manel Kape via decision in Feb. 2021, just months after losing a decision to Askar Askarov on first series of Fight Island events in Abu Dhabi, where he played the role of backup fighter for a title bout between Deiveson Figueiredo and Joseph Benavidez. He decided to send his wife and kids back to Brazil for some time due to shortage of money.

Alone for eight months in Florida, Pantoja worked as an Uber Eats driver just days before his UFC clash with Brandon Royval in Aug. 2021.”

Why did he even mention Francis , Kamaru and Adesanya ? For what? Look at it this way if Duplessis had initially said "I'm proud of my country I'm going to bring the belt back to South Africa" none of us would even be having this conversation. Don't light a match and complain when there's fire.
I'm not quite sure why he mentioned Francis, Kamaru, or Israel. Kamaru and Israel's parents left Nigeria for opportunities elsewhere.

Here's where I get frustrated. Folks acting like Haiti, Jamaica, the continent of Africa, or Bahamas aren't affected by the remnants of trans Atlantic slavery or racism.

This kee hee they’re not Africans. When you know in South Africa your people stole the land and benefited from insane racist policies they made.

This is both incredibly sad and admirable at the same time

“Pantoja had just beaten Manel Kape via decision in Feb. 2021, just months after losing a decision to Askar Askarov on first series of Fight Island events in Abu Dhabi, where he played the role of backup fighter for a title bout between Deiveson Figueiredo and Joseph Benavidez. He decided to send his wife and kids back to Brazil for some time due to shortage of money.

Alone for eight months in Florida, Pantoja worked as an Uber Eats driver just days before his UFC clash with Brandon Royval in Aug. 2021.”

Really is a crazy story man. Makes me mad about fighter pay

Yeah that video with DDPs team mate, them dudes still don't get it. It's easy for them to stay and train out of SA when they were born and raised in one of the wealthiest cities in the country.
100% on everything you said.

Still doesn’t make heads or tails of Adesanya getting in the cage and dropping the N bomb four or five times and directing it straight at a white man from a former apartheid nation (??????🤔).

The UFC fanbase is littered with angry white men who can barely contain their racist attitudes about black culture in general. Anyone who ever spent time on The Underground forum knows that to be true.

That kind of outburst plays right into their mindset.

The things they say(and how they say them) reek of privilege. Then when you think about the fact that apartheid only “ended” in 1992…..
That’s what I’m saying. Instead of obnoxiously sounding like a rap video….

Should’ve ether’d dat man for real. Or cough knock him out and paint his face black….

That Aaron Bronsteter clip was great. The only journalist to call it what it was. And he works for a UFC partner, TSN lol.

That’s what I’m saying. Instead of obnoxiously sounding like a rap video….

Should’ve ether’d dat man for real. Or cough knock him out and paint his face black….

That Aaron Bronsteter clip was great. The only journalist to call it what it was. And he works for a UFC partner, TSN lol.
Sometimes you gotta act crazy when fighting stuff like that. Izzy just trying to show him who he’s ****in with. I back Izzy whatever approach he took bc at least he is doing SOMETHING. It had to be addressed.

Thing is-- these are fighters at the end of the day. We expect them to act a certain way according to the norms of society

We all know these guys aren't the norm. A lot fighters don't come from a privileged upbringing. A lot of them are true savages and don't give a damb about any of our opinions. Much less if someone is going to show disrespect first

To expect these guys to act or say or react in a particular way is going to disappoint you most of the time. They aren't going to systematically debate you and have a long winded history lesson during a face-off in the cage

100% on everything you said.

Still doesn’t make heads or tails of Adesanya getting in the cage and dropping the N bomb four or five times and directing it straight at a white man from a former apartheid nation (??????🤔).

The UFC fanbase is littered with angry white men who can barely contain their racist attitudes about black culture in general. Anyone who ever spent time on The Underground forum knows that to be true.

That kind of outburst plays right into their mindset.
I don't blame Izzy for doing what he did. Being that I'm not from that side of the world, I can't speak on how it makes him feel nor tell him how to react. Seems like a very emotional/personal topic for him though.

The MMA fan base is about 70-80% of right wing incels. **** em. He was never the type to hold back on what he thinks and I doubt he even gave a single thought about them.

I'm sure his manager was pissing himself though

I don't blame Izzy for doing what he did. Being that I'm not from that side of the world, I can't speak on how it makes him feel nor tell him how to react. Seems like a very emotional/personal topic for him though.
Salient point. It's all it comes down to

The MMA fan base is about 70-80% of right wing incels. **** em. He was never the type to hold back on what he thinks and I doubt he even gave a single thought about them.

I'm sure his manager was pissing himself though
I don’t blame him for being pissed off at Drecus for what he said.

He had the moral high ground after that.

But what does that have to do with getting on the microphone and calling a white man the N word?

If we can’t expect a higher level of thought from Adesanya just because he’s a cage fighter then…****…that’s pretty sad.

Almost as sad as white South Africans not understanding the historical ramifications of colonial apartheid.

Last edited:
The selfish side of me wants that Volk/Makhachev rematch much more than the Topuria fight. I just see Volk piecing up Topuria and cruising to a UD.

Volk is getting surgery and Oliviera said he wasn’t ready. Abu Dhabi is in October. Dustin and Justin fight this month. It could possibly be the winner of that fight but tbh I don’t think either of them vs Islam is gonna be a big big fight. Dana also seemed like he was ready to announce the fight so it’s probably not Dustin or Justin. Max would have been a big fight but he’s already booked with Zombie. Really wondering who is fighting Islam.

I still don’t understand what Adesanya’s intent was in calling DDP the n word.

Was he suggesting that that’s how he thinks DDP views him, so he’s turning the tables?

Or was he just drunk and ignorant as to how using that word in that situation, directed towards a white South African, comes across to a lot of people?

…or all of the above?
It was just Izzy saying a word that a white man can’t say. Dricus claimed to be a truer African than the then black champs at the time, which was 100% a race baited stance. There’s many analogous comparisons Dricus could have made with other international champions. But no, he wanted to shun the black champs instead which is low on his part.

Many immigrants and 1st gens are proud of their heritage regardless of what nation they reside. I’m sure homelanders would feel a type of way with immigrants when it comes to nationality. It’s just bad taste if your lineage is rooted in apartheid.

I don’t agree with Izzy’s response that night, but I understand and I’m 100% rocking with him.

I'm usually interested in what happens in the fights not outside. But looks like Drikus post fight interview now has 2 mil view in a day and I don't usually see this much movement in the mma thread unless it's fight night. So what ever course of action Adesanya chose worked.
We are not talking about Robbie Lawlers tremendous career, Volks domination or all the other crazy fights on UFC 290. As ratchet (on the surface) as Adesanyas actions were Saturday, it made this fight huge over night. Its going to sell all kinds plus we now are having conversations about colonization, apartheid and making a gang of people uncomfortable along the way? I'm all for it.

Last edited:
I'd love to talk about two possible fight of the year candidates. Jalen was a beast. And the Hookman fought with a broken arm and orbital.

The feels from Robbie retiring. That was probably the best send off in MMA history. The walk off TKO, the post-fight and the montage.

Volk cemented himself as one of the greatest feather weights. He defends his title twice more, he ties Aldo.

Lol.

The selfish side of me wants that Volk/Makhachev rematch much more than the Topuria fight. I just see Volk piecing up Topuria and cruising to a UD.
I’m torn

At 155, there is not a single interesting matchup for Islam imo. He runs through all of those guys (sans maybe Arman, but he’s not really in the convo at the moment)

I think volk is really the only interesting match out there right now for Islam

However at 145 there really isn’t anyone for volk either outside of topuria and I’ve always been a topuria fan

Back
Top Bottom