The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Man, Conor really really making it hard to continue to be a fan and tolerate his antics. Was at the fight last night and it was absolutely electric.

Ariel going off.

Dan LeBatard gives no dambs about his former employer. Last week, he discussed the Rachel Nichols controversy. Now, he's got Ariel there to discuss Ariel's ESPN/UFC issue.

Last edited:
My thing with Conor is he’s so rich he doesn’t need the UFC. He’s not your average UFC fighter who has to take whatever table scraps Dana throws at them. He’s one of the few fighters who has enough money in the bank to where he doesn’t need UFC. He doesn’t need to do all the corny antics and theatrics anymore. If that’s who he really is, then he’s a pos. But if a lot of it is just an act, he doesn’t need to do all that extra unnecessary stuff anymore.

All the theatrics and antics leading up to the Khabib fight were corny as hell. Mocking his religion and everything. Same with everything leading up to the fight against Poirier, bringing up his wife in the dms and saying he was going to kill him. Just clown antics all around. And trash talk is a part of fighting. But he’s just cringeworthy at this point.

Casual Takes...

UFC on their WWE ish. You really do have to go to other outlets to get an accurate, true and insightful view of MMA. Bloodyelbow is going to give you the truth about fighter pay and the BS the company does. Some of these other outlets can't rock the boat or their access to shows, athletes and Dana goes away.

Fully agree that ESPN's coverage of UFC 264 was very cringe in several aspects. Atlas and Keller were not needed. They also didn't need SAS on there after his fumbling during coverage of the Cerrone/Connor fight, he interviewed Connor well last week, I'll give him that though. I'm really hoping the commentary gets an overhaul later this year and it is time for them to move on past JRE. I mean they already moved past Goldie lol.

Also we should all know how the UFC is going to keep promoting and unfairly giving Connor these high level fights as long as he wants them. As lame as it would/will be if Dustin beats Charles later this year (I favor Dustin btw) and then they wait for Conor to recover by mid 2022 and give him an immediate LW shot, it is highly likely this happens. Then if Conor won he likely would handpick his next opponent like fighting Nate at WW for the trilogy and then walking away from the UFC.

In a perfect world we'd get Dustin/Charles in December, then a #1 contender bout with the likes of Gaethje, Benny or Chandler with that winner fighting for the belt in 2022. The business side of the UFC is always going to be there and they will milk a guy like Conor as long as his star power is there.

They're not going to update the commentary. JRE has a huge following and been a loyal contributor for a minute. Not sure what Mike Goldie did to burn bridges with them. But Joe Rogan has a huge platform.

My issue is we can't be honest. Maybe, the UFC DOES give the fans the fights they want. But they also do the opposite, whereby we get McGregor/Porier 4 or HW interim title fights.

And sad thing is we can't expect there to be an honest conversation since the outlets who have access are going to curtail to Dana. Dana goes on MMAJunkie and says the fans are idiots and should be happy at the Interim Title fight. Bloodyelbow is banned from access. Ariel is obviously on the outs but he gets drowned out in his criticism or called a F word, idiot or disregarded by Dana.

Is it me or is this the face of the devil reincarnated?

Screenshot_20210712-135009_Samsung Internet.jpg

Oh the Lewis/Gane interim fight makes 0 sense and Gane has no drawing power. Really lame they made that fight and didn't give Francis a little more time. Then Dana gets on his BS about Francis and his management knowing the deal, blah blah blah. Francis should be a huge draw for them but no they want to make an interim fight to "save" a card and not let Nunes headline. I don't know all the specifics but I thought UFC could do a few low level PPV's and not be affected that greatly with the current ESPN deal.

Oh the Lewis/Gane interim fight makes 0 sense and Gane has no drawing power. Really lame they made that fight and didn't give Francis a little more time. Then Dana gets on his BS about Francis and his management knowing the deal, blah blah blah. Francis should be a huge draw for them but no they want to make an interim fight to "save" a card and not let Nunes headline. I don't know all the specifics but I thought UFC could do a few low level PPV's and not be affected that greatly with the current ESPN deal.
They're still a business. They want to draw a gate (because places are opening up) AND they struck that deal with the Toyota Center. Is there an incentive to perform eg get high PPV buy rate? No. But then again, it's still in their best interest to do well to ensure they get a more money their next contract. Look at the NFL. Now, the NBA is trying to get a bigger contract the next time their contract is up:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/22/nba...hts-increase-and-75-billion-is-the-price.html

TV/Streaming contracts are big money. Billions.

Plus, the interim title fight DOES setup a possible collision with Francis. If anything, it's a #1 contender eliminator. Right now, Stipe, Jon Jones and the winner of Gane/Lewis are all in line for Francis'' title.

If we're being honest...the UFC is leaving money on the table due to their poor ability to truly promote their stars (vice cards). They wouldn't have to get the Venom money if they didn't follow the model they do. They probably could've courted Adidas, UA or Nike for the apparel deal. But besides Conor...what huge star do they have? And why should Lil Jimmy buy UFC apparel?

The same way he was demented after he beat Dennis Siver and jumped on top of the cage and then proceeded to try to confront Aldo?

Demented like he flew across the pond to the US and then threw a dollie at a Charter bus?

Demented in how he decked an old man at a pub?

The guy thrives on being wound up. He's not a normal human being.

The same way he was demented after he beat Dennis Siver and jumped on top of the cage and then proceeded to try to confront Aldo?

Demented like he flew across the pond to the US and then threw a dollie at a Charter bus?

Demented in how he decked an old man at a pub?

The guy thrives on being wound up. He's not a normal human being.

The fame is frying him. Look, innocent until proven guilty but where there's smoke there's fire. Can you imagine a women turning down his advances when he's in one of his fits?

Back
Top Bottom