The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

What? Fight was really 50/50 at the point going back and forth.

I didnt say it wasn’t a close fight. It definitely was... my point/what I was trying to say was that Pettis could use that I broke my hand excuse/didn’t really lose even though it went down as a TKO for Tony

Lol at including mayweather in his recent record

Plenty of people have called out Conor after Saturday’s loss to khabib. And it’s quite shortsighted. Some of y’all are caught up in the moment making all sorts of declarations about him needing to move camps and questioning his resume

Going into the fight it was valid to say that if he beat khabib the convo could start about being one of the goats. Losing to khabib doesn’t invalidate his resume, in fact what some of you are doing are making khabibs enormous win look less impressive than it actually was by trying to downgrade Conor’s caliber
Short sighted? No.

The Irish Fella is the ultimate risk taker. He was scheduled to fight RDA. It got switched to Diaz last minute at 170. Diaz had a granite chin and cardio, so he didn't fall for the usual McGregor gimmicks/game plan. And I was wrong. He was 2-3 from 2016-2018. He avenged his Diaz loss (though some argue he lost that fight). And he TKO'd Alvarez.

I don't fault Conor for chasing that Mayweather check. Any of us would. He became a rich man in the process. In execution, the fight was laughable. He was pitted against one of the best boxers of this generation. Floyd played rope a dope for 10 rounds then TKO'd him.

The Conor fellators (like Helwani) were boasting about his amazing performance. He won several rounds. He really didn't. Floyd was toying with him the whole time and wanted to tire him out based on what he observed in Conor's MMA fights.

Khabib was a tall order. We saw the result. Utter domination. Khabib coasted round three, which broke his undefeated round record. I don't understand the start the round out striking then weather the grappling storm. It hasn't worked for 26 other opponents, what makes you think someone without a strong grappling base is going to solve the puzzle?

I don't disagree with the Conor Red Panty night being alluring to LWs, FWs, and WWs. Hell, Silva came out of nowhere and challenged him lol. Even in loss, Conor is still a headliner and the biggest name in MMA. Much respect to his performances in and out of the ring.

I remember when Arturo Gatti broke his hand in the 4th round of Gatti-Ward III and then fought 8 more rounds. Dude was an absolute savage :lol:

I feel like most fighters would've tried to fight through a broken hand. But I'm not gonna be that guy who calls a fighter soft for being ok with throwing in the towel. The fight was crazy and entertaining regardless.

That second round between Pettis/Ferguson was great. Absolute carnage.

DC is always breaking his hand in fights. Everyone is different. Some can fight through it. Some can't.

I'm interested in seeing who the company pits Ferguson against next. He's "beaten" Pettis, Lee, RDA and Barbosa. Johnson moved down to FW. He could fight Porier, Alvarez, Diaz and Gaethje.

Bisping has completely flipped his stance since the post fight show... Said once Conor threw the first punch at Khabibs guy on the cage that it was all fair game.

Have the ppv buys been announced yet?
Dana claims it did well over 2 million not quite 3. I’m really curious as they did zero promotion for the card
Bisping has completely flipped his stance since the post fight show... Said once Conor threw the first punch at Khabibs guy on the cage that it was all fair game.
I’m glad bisping corrected himself, he and a lot of other influential mma media were acting a fool. Ariel still saying everyone’s at fault but said after a few days it’s “not that big of a deal” which I agree with

Chael is claiming khabib will be in big trouble and that if he’s right then Dana will strip him and Chael is thinking this is a big deal. I think he’s wrong

Been a few days and most of the trolls have left.

Props to Khabib for doing what he said he would. I was rooting for Conor but acknowledged Khabib could end up dominating him with wrestling which he did.

Pettis looked washed and flabby to me and couldn't deal well with Ferguson's pressure. Tony SHOULD get the next shot, to unify the belt.

However I think Dana will try to cash out on a Conor vs Khabib rematch. Possibly in Russia. Fight could very well play out the same and could be hard to sell.

DC and Stipe would destroy Lewis

Last edited:
Vince, it's all hot takes.

Not to say Khabib's actions were not regrettable but everyone is acting like MMA is over when this has generated a lot of interest and discussion. Like Ariel said, they'll probably use the post-fight insanity in the rematch video package.

Even Dana has calm down and said Khabib could possibly be suspended but they won't strip him.

And UFC never puts out their PPV buy numbers. You have to look for it from someone like Dave Meltzer.

Been a few days and most of the trolls have left.

Props to Khabib for doing what he said he would. I was rooting for Conor but acknowledged Khabib could end up dominating him with wrestling which he did.

Pettis looked washed and flabby to me and couldn't deal well with Ferguson's pressure. Tony SHOULD get the next shot, to unify the belt.

DC wnd Stipe would destroy Lewis

However I think Dana will try to cash out on a Conor vs Khabib rematch. Possibly in Russia. Fight could very well play out the same and could be hard to sell.

Vince, it's all hot takes.

Not to say Khabib's actions were not regrettable but everyone is acting like MMA is over when this has generated a lot of interest and discussion. Like Ariel said, they'll probably use the post-fight insanity in the rematch video package.

Even Dana has calm down and said Khabib could possibly be suspended but they won't strip him.

And UFC never puts out their PPV buy numbers. You have to look for it from someone like Dave Meltzer.
Couldn’t agree with you guys more on these

Dana simply did what he had to do and act like he was outraged. Espn and Nevada don’t want to see Dana not be outraged but at the same time secretly espn and Nevada loved it because publicity is money and nobody seriously got hurt

Everyone won outside of Conor (but he still got paid and for the most part doesn’t need facial surgery)

I too don’t think Pettis looked all that great and the post usada thing is too real for him

Dana will do anything he can to set up a rematch

Couldn’t agree with you guys more on these

Dana simply did what he had to do and act like he was outraged. Espn and Nevada don’t want to see Dana not be outraged but at the same time secretly espn and Nevada loved it because publicity is money and nobody seriously got hurt

Everyone won outside of Conor (but he still got paid and for the most part doesn’t need facial surgery)

I too don’t think Pettis looked all that great and the post usada thing is too real for him

Dana will do anything he can to set up a rematch
When you say Nevada, are you talking about the state athletic commission or MGM?

Because state comissioners definitely don't want this **** to happen, they have to answer to the governor.

When you say Nevada, are you talking about the state athletic commission or MGM?

Because state comissioners definitely don't want this **** to happen, they have to answer to the governor.
The commission. They have to also act outraged but they’re loving getting to steal a percentage of khabibs purse. They’ll “suspend” khabib to show they’re “regulating” to the governor but it will be a time frame that will allow khabib to return when he would have anyway

Nothing ultimately happened. If it got uglier and people got hurt, then that’s a different story

They love the money

The commission. They have to also act outraged but they’re loving getting to steal a percentage of khabibs purse. They’ll “suspend” khabib to show they’re “regulating” to the governor but it will be a time frame that will allow khabib to return when he would have anyway

Nothing ultimately happened. If it got uglier and people got hurt, then that’s a different story

They love the money
I really think you are over thinking this

Doesn't the money they take from fighters goes into the state general fund. And what they are gonna tax Khalib will be a drop in the bucket. The comissioners don't want these brawls to happen at all, period.

I really think you are over thinking this

Doesn't the money they take from fighters goes into the state general fund. And what they are gonna tax Khalib will be a drop in the bucket. The comissioners don't want these brawls to happen at all, period.
Not sure where exactly the money goes, all I know is they’re most likely some of the most corrupt orgs out there

Didn't DC and JJ get some sort of penalty/fine for their press conference brawl? I honestly only see Khabib getting a slap on the wrist like a small fine and short suspension from fighting in Nevada like 6 months. As has been said Khabib and Co will be fine and he likely wasn't going to fight again until spring/summer next year if/when he does return.

khabib doesn’t fight during ramadan so even a 6 month suspension might push his next fight to late summer 2019. i’d hope to see him fight even sooner even though he’s not usually a super active fighter.

So is all the talk with Khabib retiring done now?

If UFC was smart they should do Diaz v Porier for a 165 belt. Give Conor the winner of the two.

Give Ferguson vs Khabib (if he is not suspended) on the late December card. Then give Kevin Lee the winner.

The most profitable and smartest fight the UFC can make from a business perspective is a Khabib/Conor rematch. Supposedly breaks live gate and PPV buy records with minimal promotion the first time around, and now with the shenanigans that took place after the fight? A rematch would do 3M buys easy

Back
Top Bottom