The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

I smell an Interim Featherweight strap coming.
Please not another interim belt. I think they try to redo Max-Ortega for 228 which isn't until Sept but should give Max ample time to recover and hopefully he straightens out any health issues he's having. As far as the next contender I can see them giving Stephens a shot if he gets a W against Aldo. Also, if Max wins they might consider Edgar for the next shot should Aldo beat Stephens.

i think they were trying to do Edgar Stephens on Saturday for Interim Belt, but Edgar just had stem cell shots in his shoulder and wouldn't have been cleared for Saturday night.

He is not stronger than DC. Period.

You serious? Dude is much bigger than DC and definitely physically stronger. DC is the better technical wrestler, but ain’t no way he’s stronger than Stipe. You’re overlooking just how much bigger Stipe is.

For those people counting Max not being able to fight Khabib, he was on 8 days notice and opted to fight to save the card. If you count this as a knock against Max, you have no clue what you're talking about and misinformed about the sport in general. Max has a track record of willing to fight anywhere and anytime. He can't really control what goes on in his ******* brain.

For those people counting Max not being able to fight Khabib, he was on 8 days notice and opted to fight to save the card. If you count this as a knock against Max, you have no clue what you're talking about and misinformed about the sport in general. Max has a track record of willing to fight anywhere and anytime. He can't really control what goes on in his ****ing brain.
Bro, you're taking this way too seriously. It's simply having a discussion. Some of us have actually trained and competed in martial arts

It's not a knock against Max but at a certain point, he had to be held responsible. If he knew he wasn't gonna make weight against Khabib, why step in? Don't give me the "he would keep cutting if he was allowed to" BS. Bottom line is the commission wouldn't have stepped in if it wasnt a safe cut to begin with.

Max is a true champion and seems like an even better person

However it isn’t unfair to criticize him for this latest mishap

He hasn’t fought in 7 months and pulled out of a title fight already (not including khabib). Most likely he won’t be able to fight until August at the earliest which will be 8 months. Recovering from a concussion is tricky. If he’s forced to stay out until September that would be 9 months without defending the belt, not terrible but not great

His team, any team should take precaution two weeks outside of the fight, legit no excuse for something like that to happen
Bingo. Injuries happen but when it becomes a pattern, somethigs wrong. No different than when AKA gets crucified on a regular basis

For those people counting Max not being able to fight Khabib, he was on 8 days notice and opted to fight to save the card. If you count this as a knock against Max, you have no clue what you're talking about and misinformed about the sport in general. Max has a track record of willing to fight anywhere and anytime. He can't really control what goes on in his ****ing brain.

Max not being able to make the weight class above him highlights the issue of weight cutting as well though. Guys are just too damn big for their weight class and at their natural strongest weight they are 30lbs heavier than what they compete at.

The GOAT Frankie would of stepped in on 2 days notice and made weight without a hitch which is what any fighter should be able to do. It is what it is but I don’t think you should have to have months to prepare to make weight like a lot of these guys do.

I’ve got nothing but love and respect for Max too, he’s one of my favorite people in the UFC right now.

This wouldn’t be such a big deal if it didn’t happen every fricken event. I just read a stat that says this is the 17th main or co main event lost in 2018 and the 4th straight International fight week PPV that has lost a title bout, 3 of those being in the week leading up to the fight.

Whether it’s injuries, weight mismanagement, PEDs what have you, we are constantly getting pumped for big fights as fans just to lose the fight days before the event.

I don’t fault Max for pulling out but this is the 3rd fight in a row he’s been pulled from. His health comes before my pleasure but it’s none the less disappointing as a “hardcore” MMA fan.

Like I referenced, the anywhere, anytime mantra is something these fighters play up HARD ... The biggest criticism of McGeezy is he hasn't defended his belts and chased the bag with May ... Everyone up in arms over it ...

Would it be better if Conor scheduled a fight and backed out? Would that make it "look" ok? After hearing everything about that weight cut, Max had NO intention or chance of fighting Khabib ... He basically said o yeah I'll save the card, right, and couldn't make weight ... Stupid ...

Now Max has his 3rd straight where something has come up ... He won't be defending for probably 9 months at the earliest ... WHICH I'M OK WITH as long as people stop with the criticism of other fighters for not defending and the anywhere, anytime nonsense ... Max didn't want that smoke from Khabib ... Max wasnt in perfect shape this time around and forgot his name ...

I love Max, but he has no room to talk anymore and please stop with the always ready nonsense ...

Like I referenced, the anywhere, anytime mantra is something these fighters play up HARD ... The biggest criticism of McGeezy is he hasn't defended his belts and chased the bag with May ... Everyone up in arms over it ...

Would it be better if Conor scheduled a fight and backed out? Would that make it "look" ok? After hearing everything about that weight cut, Max had NO intention or chance of fighting Khabib ... He basically said o yeah I'll save the card, right, and couldn't make weight ... Stupid ....
I get you but to me "couldn't make weight" implies that he stepped on the scale at the scheduled weigh in time and was over the limit. If I remember correctly, he didn't weigh in at all. The commission decided early that he had way too much weight to cut and it was unsafe. As a person that hates weight cutting in mma I agree with their decision. However, just because the commission cut him off at the pass doesn't mean he was not capable of it. Anyway I don't count the Khabib situation against him only because he didn't get a chance to actually weight in but that's just me. I see what your getting at too.

As far as Conor. The criticism he gets is because he still talks **** and hasn't defended which is different than anytime anywhere. I agree that mantra stinks if you pull out of a fight, but it's not the same as saying I'm the GOAT and not fighting anyone.

Last edited:
People can bash McNuggets all they want but the dude made championship weight at 145 every time he fought. He promoted his fights more than anyone else on the UFC roster, fought in 3 different weight classes and never pulled out of a fight. Talked the talk and walked the walk. Gave Diaz his props after losing and came right back to avenge his loss against the bigger man. Guy only weighed in at 167 and 168 when he fought Diaz 3-4 lbs under the allowance which shows he wasn’t a true WW, meanwhile Diaz would balloon back up to 190 come fight night.

When you get big opportunities in life like Mcgregor has, you can’t say no and he hasn’t which is why he’s one of the best to ever do it and also the most wealthy MMA fighter we’ve seen thus far.

Meanwhile Mighty Mouse won’t even fight TJ when it’s a huge opportunity to cement his legacy, earn a big payday and bring new light to a lacking division. He’s content with fighting the same guys he’s beaten over and over. No risk no reward.

Back
Top Bottom