The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

one leg kick and mayweather would be outta there.

There's gonna be no kicking though. The contract will make it as close to a boxing match as possible but inside an octagon. Any deviation from that and Conor's purse will take a hit just like the boxing clause that they had.

I chuckled.....

“I don’t really consider this the interim. I consider this the undisputed title. There’s no doubt about it. Tyron Woodley’s the paper champ so he’s not the real champion,” Covington told MMAWeekly. “He’s doing anything but fight.

“He’s gossiping on TMZ. He’s over on “The Breakfast Club” trying to rap. You thought you hate me? Go watch “The Breakfast Club” and watch him try to rap. You’ll really hate me for making you watch that.”

Cringe Trash Talking

I can’t believe reporters are entertaining these conversations about TWood after he defended his belt 3 times in a year

Per our great source: This deal is worth a total of 320m/yr (160m/yr each). ESPN and NBC to pay for production (current deal UFC pays for production). ESPN and NBC will also have streaming rights and the fightpass prelims moving to their streaming platforms. Contender series to replace tuf (each network gets one season each per year). PPV’s reduced to 6 a year. New weight classes to be added to help fill the increased fight nights (men 165, female 105, etc). Each network will have exclusive rights to certain fighters (similar to how HBO and Showtime have their own boxers which they develop and build) outside of PPV. Remember you heard it here first! – TO

Intriguing If True

How does having exclusive fighters work? Like if ESPN has the rights to a fighter, is that fighter not allowed to fight on PPV or NBC cards?

How does having exclusive fighters work? Like if ESPN has the rights to a fighter, is that fighter not allowed to fight on PPV or NBC cards?

the link says outside of ppv. so i guess each network will have their own brand of fighters, who wouldn't fight eachother unless it was on ppv it seems.

also interesting to see that they will be adding more weight classes.

Contender series to replace tuf (each network gets one season each per year). PPV’s reduced to 6 a year. New weight classes to be added to help fill the increased fight nights (men 165, female 105, etc)

I like these points. Especially reducing the PPVs so the product isn't so saturated and thin. This allows the PPVs to actually be stacked almost every card and adds a bit of the 'You don't wanna miss this' factor back into the brand.

So almost like what the NFL does with the AFC v NFC OR SHOWTIME v HBO? I wonder how that would work? Would each get a specific division or literally fighters in each division whom cant fight except eachother before a PPV event. What happens when you have two solid contenders that aren't Top 5 fighters yet? A fight like the upcoming Adesanya and Vettori fight comes to mind. Both up and coming fighters, what happens if both fighters are 'exclusive' to different networks? Does having them fight on the prelims of a major PPV card the answer? Are prelims on both NBC AND ESPN for those events?

I can see both pros and cons for each side.

Well looks like the ESPN/NBC deal was a false report. I was questioning the reason it would be a split deal but wouldn't put that past them. Perhaps ESPN and NBC would have different weight classes like the NFL with AFC/NFC.

Borg should have held out and said that Conor ruined his ability to fight

Khabibg went from the #14 ranked Pound for Pound fighter to #8 :rofl:

Leaped over TWood, Cucoy, Cyborg, Cody No Love, Whitaker & AmandaNunes

Hollow Champion. Hollow Ranking. What A Joke

If that report was true...ugh. Bad idea. More tv saturation. They (the UFC) has to understand Less is more.

Honestly, the P4P rankings seem a bit irrelevant at the moment. Some of the top 10 hasn’t been busy lately.

Like ESPN’s P4P has Connor who hasn’t fought in more than a year. JBJ has only fought like twice in the last two years.

I definitely think it would benefit the UFC to scale back to 6-12 PPV cards a year.

Having both a 165 belt and 170 belt is stupid. They would have to split 170 into 165 and 175, but there too much history in the 170 division so it will never happen.

Adding a 195 and 215 belt makes sense tho.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom