The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

I don't know how anyone can defend Khabib at this point given his performance last night against a SCRUB ... Not surprising that people are questioning his resume now ...

That being said, I think he is capable of beating anyone ... he just has to do it ... it's not Dana's fault that he went with Conor given the marketability potential ...

I thought before the fight against Max he would have mauled him, but after his performance against Al Iaquinta I felt like I was wrong and believe he would have lost the fight against Max. He seemed like he was incredibly eager and desperate for take downs and if he can't get them he's in a world of trouble against an elite striker.

If Max couldn't make 155 htf he gonna make 145 in the future
6 days notice is a big difference tbh

Weight cuts that large are never ideal but with more time he should be fine

Not to mention, it wasn't that Max 'couldn't' make weight, but rather NYSAC looked at him and said 'I don't like his face!', and he was off the card. Although 4-5 pounds is a good amount the night before official weigh-ins.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECAP: (only the main and co-main because the rest of this card was trash!)

Lauzon
He needs to hang it up. He can stay up (PAUSE), but man has he been taking a beating. He's always in a bloodbath where he provides most of the blood recently. He's gotta be nearing CTE levels of head trauma.

Rose / JJ
I had Rose winning that 3-2 at the worst. I am really liking Rose's movement through the first two rounds, she was slipping, countering and moving in & out so well. You can see her slow significantly during the 3rd and 4th. I don't whether to attribute that to gas tank of the plethora of leg kicks she took.

JJ took a long time to find her rhythm and footing. However, after she found it I don't think she did anything crazy significant that can warrant me saying she took the fight. She did a lot of damage to that leg, but it didn't seem to affect Rose at all while he face looked like.....

1st: Thug
2nd: Thug
3rd: JJ
4th: Toss
5th: Thug
(I may be getting 3 or 4 mixed up)

Khabib / Iaquinta
But Khabib is boring as hell ... He just went the distance with the number 11 contender ... Max and Tony would have given him a run ...

He could've mauled Al the entire fight, but chose to stand for round 3 & 4 for some rather pedestrian striking. Crazy part is he winning those exchanges for the 3rd and most of the 4th with just a jab and his chin floating like an X-Files UFO. He even showed a little bit of gamesmanship which shocked me. Talked a lot of **** during those exchanges in the 3rd. There were several stints of Khabib popping Al with like 4 straight clean jabs. He could've ended that fight by grinding him out the entire time. However, he also had a very real chance of losing that due to overconfidence. I don't think he takes that chance versus anyone in the top5.

This dude Khabib tried to thank all of the Dagestani team individually! YEESH! :lol:

Thought it was pretty clear Khabib was on cruise control for the middle rounds and using Al as a glorified spar for his weaker stand up game

Going to be better than any fight on 223 IMO... Those are fights and fighters I can get with
Agreed. Main event could be fireworks, Gaethje fights are always must see. Also looking forward to seeing Adesanya again, dude is a KO machine. Hope Watterson can get back in the W column as well.

gaethje has no concern for his brain cells or health at all. I hope he has good insurance.

iFJQJo

I see Nick fighting by the end of the year. They'll be desperate for a marquee match up

They'll need some eye catching headlines this year

One of them being their soon to be announced new t.v. deal

wouldn't be surprised if they gifted him an undeserved title shot. :lol:

Nick isn't walking into a cage for less than $10mil... Guy has done well for himself, outside of fighting, these past handful of years... Heard he doesn't need to fight to earn money but money always talks.

The earliest Khabib can fight is July after Ramadan

Guessing they'll find out what Conor's sentence is in June, if he can just settle out of court or pay some fees then I'm sure an announcement will come around then. I'm assuming they'll do a world tour, targeting a fight in September perhaps

That is all assuming Conor even wants to return to face Khabib. He's still got boxing out there, he's still got other opponents but Khabib really is the fight. The build up they could do would be some of the most dramatic stuff MMA would ever see. I also see Conor looking at Khabib's stand up as vulnerable

Al said while Khabib was on top of him punching him, Khabib was talking to Matt Serra who was instructing Al and said "good job, you're telling him to do the right thing"

:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom