pimp.gif

CURRY
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
- Purdue..

CRAZY

zona for the win the team looked really focused today big win ...this will definetly benefit them down the road
pimp.gif

bad day for the Zags... this is a crappy loss, but it won't really hurt them RPI-wise or anything.. still, they should've won this game.

Originally Posted by ClevelandsPrince23

I knew this %@%+ was goin down..

the lineup for next week omg

Duke-Xavier
pimp.gif

MSU-Texas
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

UCONN-Zags
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

CURRY
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
- Purdue..

CRAZY
only bad thing is CBS doubled up on those games..

so only 2 outa 4.

Zona looked iight, man.
Took a lot out of the UConn / Zags game I was really looking forward to 2 undefeateds.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

People gotta relax with UNC being that good.

I defiantly think there beatable.
I agree.

No nobody, is as good. Nobody would beat them in a series. But that doesn't matter.

They gota win 6 straight when it matters most and that is never an easy task.

I'm still shocked people wana call that team the best team they've seen in 20 years....based on what? At least wait to see if they win to startthrowing those comments out.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Originally Posted by SCuse7

People gotta relax with UNC being that good.

I defiantly think there beatable.
I agree.

No nobody, is as good. Nobody would beat them in a series. But that doesn't matter.

They gota win 6 straight when it matters most and that is never an easy task.

I'm still shocked people wana call that team the best team they've seen in 20 years....based on what? At least wait to see if they win to start throwing those comments out.

Wait which team? This team?
laugh.gif

Yes
laugh.gif

Mike Patrick said that yesterday, and I know i heard at least 2 or 3 other times after the MSU game

Just check back in this thread an people have been saying it.
laugh.gif

They haven't proven much to me. They handled Notre Dame which isn't much. ND plays the same up and down style but doesn't defend at all.

I don't know what it is that makes people love them so much.

I think Uconn can be as good as them. The only difference between them is UNC plays with better chemistry and they know how to win.

There frontcourt matches up well. Thabeet, Adrien, and when Robinson is back. Thats one of the best in the country. Then Price, Walker, Dyson, Austrieisn't bad at all.

Like Allen said. Its not about just being the best. Its about being able to win that 6 in a row. We'll see by the end of the year if people are stillsinging the same song.

Well i'm saying - this isn't even the best UNC team of the last 5 years.. how is it the best team overall of the last 20?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Well i'm saying - this isn't even the best UNC team of the last 5 years.. how is it the best team overall of the last 20?
laugh.gif
Really. Felton, McCants, May would run them.

They were a GREAT college team.

Originally Posted by TheZephyr777

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

laugh.gif
Really. Felton, McCants, May would run them.

They were a GREAT college team.
The 2005 team wouldn't run this years UNC team. I think they would win, but it would be an interesting match-up. We don't have a RashadMcCants type of player and Marvin was an x-factor for us that year too.

As far as this years team goes, when Ty is on we are tough to beat. Deon has improved his play dramatically, but Wayne hasn't shown me much of anything sofar. I like how the freshman are playing, but we still need to improve on our D and also having a killer instinct. The 2005 teams would get up on teams andthen want to just keep increasing that lead. This years team has shown flashes that they can do that, but have not learned how to do it consistently. We shouldhave won last night by 30 points, but coasted through the end of the game.

I still haven't seen UConn play so I can't really speak on them. But a potential UNC-UConn match-up probably wouldn't happen until the Final 4 orChampionship game, if both teams make it that far.

Again, Allen said it best, you have to win 6 games in a row, which is an extremely tough thing to do.

I still haven't seen UConn play so I can't really speak on them. But a potential UNC-UConn match-up probably wouldn't happen until the Final 4 or Championship game, if both teams make it that far.
I guarantee that UConn doesn't get a 1 seed so them as a 2 seed would leave a little wiggle room to find them and UNC in a potential Elite 8matchup.

Man so I get back from the Cowboys game (which was +$$%*%% awesome) to find out that Arizona beat Gonzaga...awesome.

I'm basically cheering for Arizona and Alabama right now, hoping that those wins for A&M will turn out to be big wins later in the season. I'm notconfident in us going better than 8-8 in conference play this season, so I want all the help that we can get.

That A&M-Arizona game was one of the best that I've seen other than the A&M-Baylor 5 OT thriller last year. I have the last 6 minutes of thatA&M-Arizona game on YouTube if any of y'all are interested in watching it...

SI.com's All-American Hoops Blog
RSS
Winn_luke
The Week In Hoops

Views
Comments

* Posted by:
Luke Winn
* 10:51 PM ET 12.14

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING WE LEARNED THIS WEEK

The Pac-10 race is wide open ... and Arizona actually has a chance.
P1
Chase Budinger and Arizona could make noise in the Pac-10.
Liam Foley/Icon SMI

The two games I saw at Phoenix's Desert Classic on Sunday -- IUPUI's non-televised, near-upset of No. 20 Arizona State and Arizona's upset of No. 4 Gonzaga -- altered my perception of the Pac-10. The Sun Devils were supposed to be the state's best team, but when All-America candidate James Harden gets neutralized by a good zone, there's no guarantee they have enough weapons to overcome it. On Sunday it took a few clutch, late threes by Rihards Kuksiks to save a game against an IUPUI team that had already lost to Northeastern, Indiana and Western Illinois. ASU trailed 34-18 at half and won 59-58 in overtime, but was one defensive stop away from a loss that would've looked worse than Kentucky falling to VMI.

Meanwhile, Arizona, which seemed to be in shambles after the final turn of the Lute Olson saga, subsequently losing an NIT Season Tip-Off qualifier in mind-numbingly stupid fashion to UAB, dismantled the Zags, who had up until that point been the most complete team in the nation not named North Carolina. (The Pythagorean efficiency rankings actually had Gonzaga ahead of UNC.) And the the Wildcats did it by, of all things, playing a slowed-down, trap-heavy defensive game and forcing usually steady Zags point guard Jeremy Pargo into seven turnovers. Suddenly we're forced to consider Arizona as a contender in the Pac-10.

"This puts us on the map," 'Zona forward Chase Budinger said of the 69-64 win over Gonzaga. "This kind of gives us hope again, that Arizona's not a lost team, not a rebuilding team."

If the 'Cats continue to defend -- especially Budinger, whose rep has been as an atrocious defender -- they should make the NCAA tournament. On offense they can ride the Pac-10's best interior player, Jordan Hill (22 points vs. Gonzaga) and keep the floor spread with Budinger and Nic Wise's shooting (they combined to hit 6-of-9 threes on Sunday). Wise isn't Brandon Jennings at the point, but he thoroughly outplayed Pargo, which is no small feat.

UCLA is probably the league's best all-around squad, but that's not saying much; the Bruins already flopped against Michigan and lost at Texas. Unless swingman Josh Shipp becomes a go-to guy to complement point guard Darren Collison, and a few of the Bruins' freshmen step up, the gap between Ben Howland's boys and 'Zona, ASU and USC is minuscule.
SI.COM'S STARTING FIVE

(Wearing Tony Crocker long-sleeve Oklahoma outfits, which, we were recently told by an NCAA source, are against the rules ...)

1. Ben Woodside, PG, North Dakota State: He's the Maravich of the Dakotas ... or at least he tied Maravich's record for most free-throws in one game (30) en route to dropping 60 points in a 112-111, triple-overtime loss to Stephen F. Austin on Friday.

2. Stephen Curry, PG, Davidson: After scoring 27 against West Virginia in a low-percentage (9-of-27) performance on Tuesday, Curry upped the accuracy against Chattanooga on Saturday. His 11-of-22 shooting day led to 41 points, his third 40-plus game of the season.

3. Dionte Christmas, SG, Temple: He was the dagger-man in the Owls' upset of No. 8 Tennessee, hitting 7-of-14 treys for 35 points ... and inspiring all sorts of "Merry Christmas" / "Christmas came early" / "Christmas gift" pun-making.

4. A.J. Abrams, SG, Texas: While most his teammates were struggling against Texas State on Saturday, Abrams scored 30, following up his 26-point effort on Tuesday against Villanova at Madison Square Garden.

5. Jordan Hill, PF, Arizona: After an ill-advised late technical in a loss to Texas A&M two weeks ago, Hill has channeled his fury into his game instead, going for 25 points and 14 boards in a win over San Diego State on Wednesday, and 22 and 6 against Gonzaga Sunday. He has double-doubles in six of 'Zona's nine games.
MY ONE WISH FOR THIS WEEK

That senior small forward Marcus Ginyard returns and fixes the woeful North Carolina Tar Heels. They've looked so helpless thus far, jumping out to a 9-0 start with an average victory margin of 28.8 points. What their rotation desperately needs is another savvy, athletic veteran. Ginyard has been out since October, when he had surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot, but dressed for Saturday's win over Oral Roberts and may be back in the lineup soon. Hopefully he can save top-ranked Carolina before it's too late.
THE ONE DAY YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT

I usually list one game here, but Dec. 20's slate is too beautiful not to mention as a whole. There might not be a better day in college hoops until the first day of the NCAA tournament:

At 2 p.m.: Michigan State at Texas and Duke vs. Xavier (in East Rutherford, N.J.).

At 4 p.m.: UConn vs. Gonzaga (in Seattle) and Davidson vs. Purdue (in Indianapolis).

At 4:30 p.m.: BYU vs. Arizona State (in Glendale, Ariz.).

At 6 p.m.: Syracuse at Memphis.

Any self-respecting college hoops fan will have this afternoon cleared on his schedule.
YOUR MONDAY MOMENT OF ZEN

Gadget-armed Dallas Lauderdale informs Butler's Zach Hahn that, contrary to what he may have believed, the perimeter is NOT A SAFE PLACE. Hahn's three-point attempt finds a home in the crowd. Lauderdale slaps hands with the crowd -- and gets a standing O for his efforts.

budinger looks like he's been in the weight room.

austin daye..........does not.

aj abrams is playimg out of his mind right now.

Midseason additions to help Tar Heels, Huskies
by Jeff Goodman
Jeff Goodman is a senior college basketball writer for FOXSports.com. He can be reached at [email protected] or check out his blog, Good 'N Plenty.

Updated: December 14, 2008, 10:11 PM EST 7 comments
add this RSS blog email Print
Believe it or not, the top two teams in the country will both add significant pieces in the next couple of weeks. North Carolina and UConn won't be the only programs bringing in key players for the second half of the season.

There are plenty of quality additions throughout the country - and we'll give you a quick glance of those who will make an impact - led by Bruce Weber's early Christmas present.

Top 10 midseason additions

1. Alex Legion, Illinois: The smooth 6-foot-5 wing transferred in from Kentucky last year at the break and is expected to see his first action with the Illini on Dec. 20 against Detroit at home. He'll step onto the floor as Bruce Weber's most talented offensive player and should put up numbers immediately.

The return of junior forward Stanley Robinson should help UConn's chances of securing a Big East title. (Karl Walter / Getty Images)

2. Stanley Robinson, UConn: The former Huskies starter sat out the first semester with personal issues and was working at a sheet metal plant but is allowed to start practicing with the team on Sunday and will likely play his first game of the season Monday against Stony Brook. Robinson started 32 games last season and averaged 10.4 points and 6.5 rebounds, so he'll give a boost to a team already expected to win the Big East.

3. Marcus Ginyard, North Carolina: The Tar Heels' top defender has been out the entire season with a stress fracture but appears to be close to returning to the court. The 6-foot-5 senior could return to game action in the next week or two - and that'll be scary for opponents.

4. Laval Lucas-Perry, Michigan: John Beilein has already knocked off UCLA and Duke, and now he'll get LLP, a 6-foot-3 combo guard who left Arizona at the break a year ago, for the Dec. 20 game against Oakland at the Palace. The scary thing is that LLP comes in immediately as the Wolverines' third-best player and a guy who could start at the point before long.

5. Juan Fernandez, Temple: The talented point guard just finished high school in his native Argentina last week, and the Owls are hopeful he'll be in Philadelphia after Christmas and will be cleared by the NCAA to play shortly thereafter. He could make his college debut on Dec. 29 against Villanova. Fernandez played extremely well at the Under-18 Championships in Argentina this past summer.

6. Lewis Clinch, Georgia Tech: Yellow Jackets coach Paul Hewitt needs bodies, and Clinch is a guy who has experience and is also a proven scorer. Remember, this is a guy who was leading the team in scoring a couple years ago before he was suspended for academics. He missed the first semester this season due to academics but should come right in and get plenty of minutes when he is cleared - which should be any day now.

7. Tyree Evans, Kent State: The talented junior college transfer will give the Golden Flashes a much-needed lift when he becomes eligible to play on Dec. 18 against UNC Greensboro. He'll give Geno Ford another scoring option to go along with Al Fisher and Chris Singletary.

8. Mike Mercer and Gus Gilchrist, South Florida: Bulls coach Stan Heath just may be the happiest guy in America this time of year. He will get two key additions for Sunday's contest against Niagara. Mercer, a talented junior guard who averaged 12.2 points in his two-year career at Georgia, and Gilchrist, a talented 6-foot-10 big man who came from Maryland, should both be fixtures in the starting lineup.

9. Marcus Johnson, USC: Johnson is a big-time athlete who should see immediate playing time, especially with the departure of Marcus Simmons. Johnson, who will be eligible to play on Dec. 22, was a role guy at UConn for two years who wanted to get back closer to his home on the West Coast.

10. Louis Dale, Cornell: The Big Red's starting point guard, who has missed the first eight games of the season with a hamstring injury, returned and played 10 minutes in a loss to Minnesota earlier in the week.

Top 25 roundup

Sunday's action

* Arizona stuns No. 4 'Zags in Phoenix
* No. 11 Wake Forest remains unbeaten
* No. 15 'Nova beats Big 5 rival La Salle
* No. 20 ASU escapes vs. IUPUI in OT

FOXSports.com analysis

* Goodman: Top 10 POY candidates
* Goodman: Buckeyes come up big
* Josh Herwitt's Power Rankings
* Goodman: Curry comes through
* Jeff Goodman's college hoops blog

Others to note

Jordan Bitzer, Central Michigan: The two-year starter is expected to regain academic eligibility on Dec. 17, and the junior gives the team shooting and also a cerebral defender.

Chris Early, Chattanooga: The 6-foot-8 power forward transferred from Oklahoma and will play his first game against Davidson on Saturday.

Mouhammed Faye, SMU: He's long and talented and could make a difference for the Mustangs.

Lawrence Gilbert, Louisiana-Monroe: The former Miami forward scored 14 points in his debut for Orlando Early's club against Louisiana Tech this past Wednesday.

Jacob Green, Fordham: The 6-foot-10 West Virginia transfer will help a struggling Fordham club when he returns on Dec. 23 against New Hampshire.

Trevon Harmon, Cleveland State: The freshman guard from California is a big-time athlete who can also shoot the ball. He joins a Vikings team capable of winning the Horizon.

Harry Marshall, Indiana State: The 6-foot junior guard started eight games last season and averaged in double figures but was academically ineligible for the first semester. He'll likely return Saturday against Purdue.

Sam Muldrow, South Carolina: The sophomore big man sat out the first part of the season due to academics and was expected to return on Tuesday against North Carolina Central, but now he's out indefinitely with a sprained ankle.

Adrian Oliver, San Jose State: The 6-foot-4 sophomore wing transferred from Washington and should move right into the starting lineup when he becomes eligible on Dec. 20 against Northern Colorado.

Darrion Pellum, Hampton: The former Virginia Tech signee and talented wing will be eligible for the game against Virginia on Dec. 23.

Esmir Rizvic, Texas Tech: The Red Raiders senior was granted an extra semester by the NCAA and will give Pat Knight a defensive presence when he returns for the team's first Big 12 contest in January.

Lamar Roberson and Emmanuel Adeife, Louisiana-Lafayette: Both of them played at UNLV and both should help the Ragin' Cajuns right away.

Matt Simpkins, Memphis: The Tigers' freshman forward was recently cleared and has the potential to be a valuable contributor.

Mario Stula, DePaul: The 6-foot-7 Croatian wasn't allowed to play all of last season and also sat the first seven games this year due to overseas eligibility issues.

Marquis Young, Chicago State: The 6-foot-9, 270-pounder will make an impact immediately after transferring in from Ole Miss.

Tyree Evans
pimp.gif
He should light the MAC up.

I wanna see what Simpkins can do for Memphis too.

^ what do you know about Rod Odom from LI? Ever seen him?

At 2 p.m.: Michigan State at Texas and Duke vs. Xavier (in East Rutherford, N.J.).

At 4 p.m.: UConn vs. Gonzaga (in Seattle) and Davidson vs. Purdue (in Indianapolis).

At 4:30 p.m.: BYU vs. Arizona State (in Glendale, Ariz.).

At 6 p.m.: Syracuse at Memphis.
pimp.gif
Cuse/Memphis should be really interesting.

And interested to see how Robinson fits in and how or if Uconn will gel.

Some things from KenPom

- Georgetown is the #1 team...no, we're not that good. But yes, better than polls have us placed. The team has taken steps in it's philosophy from lastyear for the better.

- Notre Dame is not playing defense. This is not a surprise. 137th in the country. What this means for March is when they go cold, they won't win.

- UNC is playing D. I still question how they play and how it suits for winning in March. Still need to see more in the half court to be completely sold.

- Ohio State and Louisville are locking up
sick.gif
. I expect OSU to struggleoffensively all year, Louisville has the pieces to get things going. Who knows if they do.

- As Craftsy said, Missouri and Northwestern stick out right now...to that I'd add..Illinois and LSU...for mid majors...the state of Utah has some goodteams this year

Marquette/Tennessee tuesday
Siena/Pitt wednesday (hate this match up for siena)

are the best week games.

Back
Top Bottom