The College Basketball Post

found ucla/depaul game http://www.*********/scuba_steve53http://www.*********/scuba_steve53
pimp.gif

Holiday
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Had it all the way
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

I actually came away more impressed today then before with Evans. He went cold, but he was good mostly.

DaJuan may have turned a corner.
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

Chris and Austin were great...

nice to get a win when Sapp had his worst game in 2 years.

Good game Memphis fans, hope Dozier is ok...I thought overall yall looked better than what I had seen before. Nothing comes easy against your D.

When it mattered, Georgetown won with defense, and it seems to be the past few years. Maybe people will start to pay attention to that side of the ball. And we just don't lose close games under III.

I'm absolutely shocked Umass won.
eek.gif

A-10 showed out today. This conference gets under-rate every year. People choose to overlook it regardless of how deep it is every year. Oh, BTW, A-10>SEC.
I don't know about that statement - just 2 seasons ago the A-10 was 12 in conference rank of RPI (or those sorts of numbers). In 2005 they were 15th
sick.gif

The in between years they were 8th and 9th... which is about where they should be consistently, and about where they'll be this year, too.

So you can't really act like they've been consistently strong the last 5 years. They get slept on for a reason... one, maybe two solid teams generally... and a bunch of cupcakes. This year they've got a nice group of solid teams, but what about next year?

I still think they were shafted last year at selection time. They aren't a BCS conference so they come into the year under-rated every time.

I didn't want to make a thread just on this movie, but I just saw Hoop Dreams for the first time and I must say it is one of the best movies i've everseen.

Originally Posted by jville819

I didn't want to make a thread just on this movie, but I just saw Hoop Dreams for the first time and I must say it is one of the best movies i've ever seen.
absolutely
pimp.gif

Vaughn is having a game
pimp.gif

But if there going to have a chance. Someone else has to hit some shots.

Good game by Umass. That's a Freshman/Sophomore laden team for ya. Give us two years, and we'll see you back in the national championship game.

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

Good game by Umass. That's a Freshman/Sophomore laden team for ya. Give us two years, and we'll see you back in the national championship game.

Will do
wink.gif

I'm sick of hearing Jay Bilias (sp?) talk about the Nike Skills Academy every night
grin.gif

Anyone else thinking finals/end of semester was really playing a key today to all these shakey performances by top 25'ers and the like?

Seriously - you could've made a FORTUNE today if you were on a bunch of halftime underdog ML's... seems like everybody that was favored decently wasdown at the half.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Originally Posted by tmay407

A&M leaves Tuscaloosa with an 8 point win in OT
pimp.gif
whattt? how yall come back? I checked last minute and seemed Bama had control?
I was doing family stuff all night, so I was keeping up on my phone...Bama was up like 2 with 13 seconds left. Mikhail Torrence makes the firstfree throw, misses the second, A&M gets the rebound and calls a timeout. After the timeout, we come down and BJ Holmes hits a 3 with 1 second left to tieit up.

Go into overtime and we get a few stops. A couple of fouls and missed shots on Bama's part trying to come back from a smaller defecit, and we end up goingup 8.

Here's the ESPN write-up for what happened:
Alabama led 70-67 until the Aggies made two 3-pointers in the final 17 seconds to send the game into overtime. Nathan Walkup hit a 3-pointer with 17 seconds left to make the score 72-70, but Mikhail Torrance hit a free throw to push the Alabama lead back to three.B.J. Holmes hit a 3-pointer with one second left in regulation, setting up a 13-5 overtime advantage for the Aggies.

Couple of teams making blips on my radar right now, that i don't know much about outside of the stat sheets...

Missouri...Northwestern...? Anybody wanna clue me in a bit on these squads...what's different this year so far?

Another random thought... there are FEW strong teams outside of the top 8 conferences this year.

MVC, MWC, and A-10 are in up years... meaning, they'll each get at least one extra team in from their usual 1-2 teams they pull in.. USA and WCC willprobably get 2 teams in each.. nobody else even looks to have competitive conferences this year though - i mean, in terms of playing well nationally.

WAC, MAAC, Horizon, and MAC are next.. and if any of them get more than 1 team, i'd be shocked, but on top of this, i'm not sure if these conferencescan even put teams in the NIT and the other one... and i'm not sure any of their top teams are strong enough to win a game in any of these tournaments.

For as weak as the top feels this year in college basketball, the bottom feels even lighter.. Not sure what's going on. Usually there's seniors onthese small schools that can take on freshmen at the big dawgs, but i just haven't seen much of it this year.

I like the Mountain West so far
pimp.gif

I saw Missouri in that Puerto Rico tournament for a game or 2...they got the 2 decent bigs Carrol and Lyons...pretty much do all there scoring. I like Andersonas a coach...but still, they're lacking some parts.

Time to put his name in the mix of the best young lead guards
pimp.gif

[h1]Hoyas find the Wright fit at point guard[/h1]

By Dana O'Neil
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: December 13, 2008

WASHINGTON -- John Thompson III isn't a big believer in box scores, doesn't think the caliber of a team or the play of an individual can be measuredby a bunch of numbers on a Xeroxed piece of paper.

[+] http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3767321&story=3767135','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">Enlarge
http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3767321&story=3767135','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">
ncb_a_wright2_200.jpg

AP Photo/Nick Wass

Chris Wright scored 12 of his 14 points in the second half and overtime in Georgetown's win over Memphis.
The stat sheet showed Chris Wright had little impact on the game in the firsthalf -- taking just three shots and missing all of them -- apparently lost in the shuffle in the first 20 minutes.
Thompson knew otherwise. He knew that his point guard worked his rear end off on defense and directed his team on offense and that without the sophomore,Georgetown probably was looking at the other side of a 79-70 overtime win against Memphis.

In a game filled with statistical oddities -- Memphis outrebounded the Hoyas by 17 and lost; Georgetown missed 16 3-pointers and nine free throws and won --there indeed was one critically important item that couldn't be calibrated.

John Calipari doesn't have a point guard. He tried to force Antonio Andersonto become one for the first time in his basketball life. When that experiment ended in the expected crash and burn, he turned to Wesley Witherspoon. That hasn't exactly been the solution, either. Witherspoon turned theball over only three times, but he also dished out only two assists. Calipari now is toying with moving Tyreke Evans, probably the Tigers' best pure shooter, over to the point.

Fact is, Calipari can cross reference, itemize and dissect his roster all he wants. He won't find a point guard there because there isn't one. Thereis talent and athleticism, but Derrick Rose isn't walking back into the building.

Georgetown, on the other hand, has Wright.

"He hurt us," Calipari said of Wright. "They had one guy in control of the game the entire time. We didn't. That's why welose."

This is the player everyone expected Wright to be a year ago. A McDonald's All-American in high school, he figured to push Jonathan Wallace for thestarting job last season, or at least get substantial minutes. But a foot injury sidelined him for the entire Big East regular season and by the time hereturned, Wallace had established himself as the unquestionable starter and leader for the Hoyas.

No surprise then that this preseason the key question surrounding the Hoyas -- along with rookie Greg Monroe's ability to replace Roy Hibbert -- was whether Wright could make this histeam.

The answer, with Big East play just two weeks away and the Hoyas hugging a 7-1 record, is yes.

[+] http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3767052&story=3767135','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">Enlarge
http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3767052&story=3767135','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">
ncb_a_evans1_sw_200.jpg

AP Photo/Nick Wass

Tyreke Evans scored 20 points in Memphis' loss to Georgetown, but was only 8-of-24 shooting.
"He'll sleep well tonight," Thompson said of Wright. "He gives you an honest effort every game and he's growing up as a player inhis understanding of getting his team involved. He made plays, not just baskets."
This is unlike any Georgetown team Thompson has had. The Hoyas still run the Princeton offense and Thompson still searches for offensive perfection on everypossession, but because of Wright's ability to push the ball -- and with a far more athletic Monroe holding down the post -- Georgetown can and willrun.

The Hoyas weren't dusted on Saturday night because they could hang with Memphis athletically -- scoring 20 points off 20 Tigers miscues.

"We're becoming a team that can win a lot of different ways," Thompson said.

For those looking for aesthetic basketball wonder, this wasn't the place to go. It was grind-it-out ugly, with open jumpers clanging off rims and suchfierce battles for rebounds that the Hoyas managed to tip the ball in for Memphis three times.

As happy as he was in the minutes right after the game ended, Thompson knew he'd need to swig the same Pepto Bismol he drained after the Hoyas toastedAmerican in what was a less-than-pleasing effort for the coach.

"We did not play well," he said, "but it's also good to know we can not play well and win a game."

Wright certainly has eye-catching sizzle and flash -- his sweet spin move and drive to the hoop is a guarantee for a highlight reel somewhere -- but he alsohas substance. In a game that required plenty of intestinal fortitude, it carried him further.

Switched on to Evans at the end of the second half and into overtime, Wright gave up five inches and 18 pounds to the Tigers freshman, but in the criticalendgame -- when Memphis asked Evans to win the game -- he went 1-for-8.

"I remember before the game how everybody was saying how big they were and how athletic," Wright said. "I'm sure their size was anadvantage, but if you play hard, you can overcome a lot."

That was exactly Calipari's thought. When the game ended, he wrote one word on the blackboard: tough. The Tigers pulled down 53 rebounds and scored 28second-chance points, but he left D.C. questioning whether his team, particularly his upperclassmen, had the innards to be the team he'd like them tobe.

Anderson and Robert Dozier, two players who elected to come back to Memphisinstead of head to the NBA after last season, looked like guys who'd rather be somewhere else. Combined they shot 3-of-19.

[+] http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3767059&story=3767135','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">Enlarge
http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3767059&story=3767135','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">
nba_a_monroe01_200.jpg

AP Photo/Nick Wass

Freshman Greg Monroe has given the Hoyas a more athletic presence in the post.
"If we do not play tougher and rougher, we have guys who will be nice college players and then it will be over," Calipari said.
But Memphis lost more than players from last year's team. It lost an identity. Anderson and Dozier have never been asked to be leaders or focal pointsbefore. Evans doesn't have the luxury that Rose enjoyed, with talent and experience surrounding him to cushion his baptism into the college game.

Seven games in, Calipari is still searching.

"I don't have my team figured out," he said. "I'm trying everything and looking at it and watching it. Sometimes I'm really happyand other times I'm like, 'Oh my gosh.' We haven't been like this for three years. We knew our team and now we have no idea."

Thompson isn't about to say he has all the answers for his Hoyas, but he believes this win is the kind that could offer up some answers.

There was no breathing room, no wiggle room. The lead changed hands 18 times and the score sat at a stalemate 15 more times and headed into OT in partbecause Georgetown failed to knock down a field goal for 5:12, spanning the end of regulation and into the extra period.

But when OT began, Memphis hit just one bucket.

Georgetown only missed one.

"It was important for this group to play in a tough, tight game and come away with a win," Thompson said. "We can be a lot better, a lotbetter. But coming into this, I was worried. It's a big emotional game and we're in the middle of exams. We had a sporadic week of practice, so Iwasn't sure what I'd get. We came out focused, which is a very good thing. This team has a good chance to be something."

No matter what the box score says.

Dana O'Neil covers college basketball for ESPN.com and can be reached at [email protected].

Back
Top Bottom