The College Basketball Post

Willie wasn't gonna be able to work out for the draft with his injury, but still... like i said before, just didn't think he was ready to be a pro.

I think your right and he just wasn't ready to grow up and be a pro.

Probably not smart financially.

Lyles and Towns are ready to go and play big minutes.

Marcus Lee's got to be the most worried.

If Cal was honestly looking out for the best interest of the kids, do you think he'll tell a guy like Lee to transfer or is he going to use the cluster @#$% down low as fuel for guys to compete and earn PT?

Lee's brother said earlier today, before Willie's decision, that he wasn't leaving... I still think it's Dakari that ends up leaving.

Lee already got no minutes this year. With only Randle leaving + 2 more 5 star guys coming in? :x.

Last edited:
he'll be faced with the same decision as Kyle last year... transfer and sit out or redshirt at UK and practice against those dudes everyday?

Man they gotta change these transfer rules, kids shouldn't have to sit out for a whole damn year.

Last edited:
I also think everyone got a little gassed up on Lee during the tourney... he had one game where he was all over the place. looked lost most of the year.

Kid played like 5 minutes a game, it's hard to get a read on a player in that amount of PT.

He's a great athlete with length who can finish, nobody thinks anything more at this point.

nah, I get that... but what I said is what I've been saying to UK fans lol, guess it carried over to here.

Kid played like 5 minutes a game, it's hard to get a read on a player in that amount of PT.

He's a great athlete with length who can finish, nobody thinks anything more at this point.

He lucked out in one tournament game by being in the right place for a few putback jams. In earlier games this year he was in the wrong place defensively most of the time. That coupled with having next to no offensive moves will make life tough for him.

With that being said he seems like a good kid and will work hard. Just has to understand the flow of the game better. In high school being that tall and athletic you will dominate even if you don't have a clue. Can't get by on athleticism on the college level.

Hope he works hard this summer trying to learn to move like a basketball player.

For all the questions raised about whether Cal develops players of not, he has a couple of players that will enable him to prove he does. Poythress and Lee. Two great atheletes with very limited basketball skills. Will be interesting to watch.

Champions Classic matchup next year between KU/UK...SO much frontcourt talent...

Lee, Johnson, WCS, Lyles, Towns, Poythress, Alexander, Ellis, possibly Turner...(Traylor and Lucas is you want to include them but they're on a different tier IMO)

He lucked out in one tournament game by being in the right place for a few putback jams. In earlier games this year he was in the wrong place defensively most of the time. That coupled with having next to no offensive moves will make life tough for him.

With that being said he seems like a good kid and will work hard. Just has to understand the flow of the game better. In high school being that tall and athletic you will dominate even if you don't have a clue. Can't get by on athleticism on the college level.

Hope he works hard this summer trying to learn to move like a basketball player.

For all the questions raised about whether Cal develops players of not, he has a couple of players that will enable him to prove he does. Poythress and Lee. Two great atheletes with very limited basketball skills. Will be interesting to watch.

I mean, what kind of development did Poythress really do from freshman to sophomore year?

He scored via his athleticism around the rim but he barely had the cognizance to realize he could out run, out jump, and out speed every 3, 4, or 5 on the other team. Cal has to take some of the blame for that one.

Champions Classic matchup next year between KU/UK...SO much frontcourt talent...

Lee, Johnson, WCS, Lyles, Towns, Poythress, Alexander, Ellis, possibly Turner...(Traylor and Lucas is you want to include them but they're on a different tier IMO)

Bigs. :pimp:

I mean, what kind of development did Poythress really do from freshman to sophomore year?

He scored via his athleticism around the rim but he barely had the cognizance to realize he could out run, out jump, and out speed every 3, 4, or 5 on the other team. Cal has to take some of the blame for that one.

I agree 100%. But remember Cal needed that much time just to convince Poy that he wasn't playing hard enough.

Poy came in as a freshman on a team with zero bench. He was guaranteed minutes whether he played hard or not. So no matter what Cal told him he didn't have to listen because there were no consequences. Cal was going to bench him and play Jon Hood?

So this year Cal could finally get to him to put forth more effort. Only because he would be on the bench otherwise.

Can you put that on Cal? Other than blaming Cal for not having more depth last year.

why does Cal only get 1-2 years to develop players? there's no blame to place, yet. some players come along at different speeds. he improved from year 1 to year 2.

Given how little players and coaches can actually do one on one skill development in college a lot of it comes down to personal motivation and nacet skills that you already had, very few programs "develop" players IMO.

As much as people talk about stauskas "development" he and levert decided to say in ann arbour and gain the mass.

he either,

a. already had those skills, just had a greater opportunity to display them.
b. increased mass helped him actualy utlize the stuff he showed in high school.

Last edited:
it's a matter of just getting it out of Alex... and work on his face-up game like he did with Patterson.

marcus lee wouldn't have to worry about PT if ben howland didn't **** up his recuritment
mean.gif

terrible comparison.

Jermi Grant is PF, 100% its not even a question. He has a 9'1 standing reach, he's a PF.

Right bc MKG is a true 3 who can shoot it and handle it. They are the same players (both active athletes) size and skill wise. Clearly MKG has a heads up bc he's been in the league for a year.

Both guys are tweeners.

Last edited:
Grant is taller with a wingspan that's 3 inches longer though.

Grant is a 4 in today's NBA.

Last edited:
Right bc MKG is a true 3 who can shoot it and handle it. They are the same players (both active athletes) size and skill wise. Clearly MKG has a heads up bc he's been in the league for a year.

Both guys are tweeners.

MKG has an average handle for a 3 can lead the break and push the ball in transition, Jemri grant has zero handle, was spoon fed by tyler ennis, MKG played 3 at Kentucky 100% of the time, Grant never played 3, MKG is an elite perimeter defender with exceptional latteral quickness, we have no idea if Grant can defend on the perimeter, but likely can't.

ect ect, not the same, terrible comparison.

grant is a 4, 10000% people need to understand what a 4 in the NBA is, people throw out tweener far too liberally.

Melvin Ejjim is a tweener.

jarnell stokes is a tweener.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom