The College Basketball Post

The biggest issue with St. John's is the local scene changed so much, much less talent these days. And then its hard to convince kids from outside of NY to Union Turnpike. It's just exactly a big man on campus feeling. Pretty much a dead program, it'll definitely never be where it was under Carnaseca.
Far from a dead program. There's too much talent in basketball these days to write any program off. Just need to find the right guy at the helm. The Lavin hire was awful from day 1, even when the fanbase was fooled by the year with Dwight Hardy. Without Dunlop on his staff it's been rough.

Not to mention Lavin also had 3 ineligible recruits at one time. Just adds to the list of flaws and oversights.

NYC ain't what it used to be but there should still be enough quality players even if they aren't high level recruits but he doesn't develop talent whatsoever.

I just can't see it getting back to relevance, Lavin isn't the guy who is going to do it but I assume he's gone after this year anyway. Cross my fingers in that respect I guess.

Waiting for OKB to let us know if this is a good or bad move Stauskas :lol:

Also, if SJU get's the right coach they definitely can revive that program. Too much talent in the tri-state area for it to be considered a dead program. If that intial recruiting class came in with a different coach besides Lavin we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now.

You have 5 star recruits like Whitehead and 4 star recruits like Angel Delgado going to Seton Hall in SOUTH ORANGE, NJ. SJU can definitely bounce back.

St johns campus is so wack. Messed with a broad there and we just chilled in her dorm all the time.

Need a chick from UCONN on the low [emoji]128064[/emoji]

I remember hearing somewhere that St Johns lost all recruiting advantage when it built dorms, where before they would have apartment type buildings in the city.

is that true?

Man someone with a bunch of bread needs to get NYU athletics on track. With all the expanding they been trying to do I think it would be a interesting project. It would take years but you pull that off? You got your city college program right there. Farfetched though.

I remember hearing somewhere that St Johns lost all recruiting advantage when it built dorms, where before they would have apartment type buildings in the city.

is that true?
I know in the early 2000's the players lived in off campus apartments....We used to get the stories of Hatten's exploits off campus back here in Baltimore, so i can see recruits being less excited about living in an on campus dorm

It aint even about location tho, SJU just aint interesting right now...they need a couple good seasons back to back or some star players and they'll be good

Last edited:

is that true?

Even when the dorms were built, the players were living right off of Kissena Blvd. Everything changed when the Pitt scandal happened. Part of the "punishment" was making the players live on campus. In comparison to how other schools get down, St. John's has a dull social scene.

Man someone with a bunch of bread needs to get NYU athletics on track. With all the expanding they been trying to do I think it would be a interesting project. It would take years but you pull that off? You got your city college program right there. Farfetched though.

I've always thought NYU could be a powerhouse if they went that route of trying to expand there athletics. Syracuse literally runs the state with UCONN basically being a NYC team imo

And yeah st johns surrounding areas just sucks. Could be the fact I hate queens in general though

I've always thought NYU could be a powerhouse if they went that route of trying to expand there athletics. Syracuse literally runs the state with UCONN basically being a NYC team imo

And yeah st johns surrounding areas just sucks. Could be the fact I hate queens in general though

There's plenty of stuff to do in Queens....but as a student at St. John's, you gotta put more effort into finding those things as opposed to being at another school like UConn or Syracuse.

Maaaaan...I remember going up to party at UConn and it was like a different world :lol: ****, even going to some of the SUNYs was awesome as well.

Also, u ain't lying about how Syracuse/UConn fans travel. They flat out take over the garden. That ain't a home game for the red storm.

Not for nothing, Orlando Antigua would have been an interesting hire had the school looked in his direction. He's got city ties and I'm sure he would be doing a better job than Lavin.

NYU is a private school.  And they're basically the opposite of a "bigtime athletic program" style school anyway, if you look at the way they're set up.  They don't even have a campus culture.  Can't see them ever having any interest.  

Last edited:

NYU is a private school.  And they're basically the opposite of a "bigtime athletic program" style school anyway, if you look at the way they're set up.  They don't even have a campus culture.  Can't see them ever having any interest.  
Yea, you can't complain about SJU's campus and then throw out NYU as a great one. Nice location, but they don't have a "campus". Where the hell would they build a gym? 

As far as SJU goes, you fix the basketball program and stuff like student body population increases. Campus becomes better, etc, etc. You're still in New York City at the end of the day, whether you're in Queens or not. 

Before dorms were built players were issued stipends they could use for off campus housing. When dorms came in, that stipend was removed.

St. John's had a ton of talent this year but bum *** Lavin doesn't know x's and o's and he's somehow alienated his two best players in Sampson and Obekpa. Quite frankly, I know he's not going anywhere as long as he recruits well, but he can't coach for ****. He needs to rehire Mike Dunlap.

Before dorms were built players were issued stipends they could use for off campus housing. When dorms came in, that stipend was removed.

St. John's had a ton of talent this year but bum *** Lavin doesn't know x's and o's and he's somehow alienated his two best players in Sampson and Obekpa. Quite frankly, I know he's not going anywhere as long as he recruits well, but he can't coach for ****. He needs to rehire Mike Dunlap.

The walk-ons were the only ones living on campus. Everyone else was off campus. After Pitt in 04' the rules changed.

Looking forward to seeing Isaiah Whitehead next season @ Seton Hall

Crazy seeing this dudes name in here :lol:..

I remember 2 summers ago watching him play in a hood tournament here in Brooklyn and I was asking dude who he was because you could tell he was a real talent... Had no idea he was this young.. Def. gonna ball :smokin

When I asked about him _ was telling me Calipari was recuiting him

Last edited:
Put it this way, EVERYONE I know that goes to SJU, athlete or non athlete all hate it. The school and the campus is trash.

Looking forward to seeing Isaiah Whitehead next season @ Seton Hall

Crazy seeing this dudes name in here :lol:..

I remember 2 summers ago watching him play in a hood tournament here in Brooklyn and I was asking dude who he was because you could tell he was a real talent... Had no idea he was this young.. Def. gonna ball :smokin

When I asked about him _ was telling me Calipari was recuiting him

Whitehead, Desi Rodriguez, Angel Delgado, and ol' boy Khadeen Carrington from Bishop Loughlin gonna be a problem next year at Seton Hall ..

For all the hate Cal gets, he was spot on:

Among his ideas presented in "Players First: Coaching From the Inside Out," which is scheduled to be published on Tuesday, the WSJ reported that Calipari presents a 13-point plan for NCAA reform. Among them:

• Players should receive stipends of $3,000 to $5,000;

• The NCAA should cover eligible players' insurance premiums;

- Athletes should be able to accept loans up to $50,000 against future earnings;

• If a coach leaves an institution, players should be able to transfer from that program without having to sit out a season;

• Athletes should be allowed one round-trip flight home every year.

For all the hate Cal gets, he was spot on:

Among his ideas presented in "Players First: Coaching From the Inside Out," which is scheduled to be published on Tuesday, the WSJ reported that Calipari presents a 13-point plan for NCAA reform. Among them:

• Players should receive stipends of $3,000 to $5,000;

• The NCAA should cover eligible players' insurance premiums;

- Athletes should be able to accept loans up to $50,000 against future earnings;

• If a coach leaves an institution, players should be able to transfer from that program without having to sit out a season;

• Athletes should be allowed one round-trip flight home every year.

or how bout this?

allow the athletes to be paid for the services they provide the school in a free marketplace.

its a little thing I like to call "capitalism".

or how bout this?

allow the athletes to be paid for the services they provide the school in a free marketplace.

its a little thing I like to call "capitalism".

How would your pay system work? With title IX, you think people would be happy for an equestrian rider getting a fraction of the payment as someone on the mens b-ball team?

How would your pay system work? With title IX, you think people would be happy for an equestrian rider getting a fraction of the payment as someone on the mens b-ball team?

Even on the basketball team, only the stars are the ones actually generating profit so what about the bench players/walk on's who will be getting crumbs?

Even on the basketball team, only the stars are the ones actually generating profit so what about the bench players/walk on's who will be getting crumbs?

That's what I'm getting at. Unless you have a general 3-5K stipend for ALL athletes, a pay scale/system just won't work.

Like every other pay system works; a free market with multiple parties competing for players, your value would be determined by your value to the team.

Are you satisfied with a burger flipper getting a fraction of the payment as CEO of Mcdonalds?

we except market forces in every aspect of life except college sports? why?

That's what I'm getting at. Unless you have a general 3-5K stipend for ALL athletes, a pay scale/system just won't work.

you believe this propaganda?

When was the last multi BILLION dollar industry that folded up because it had to pay its employees?

They still found a way to pick cotton after slavery, why should this be different.

The NCAA tries to make it seem like it would be SOOOOOOooo difficult to pay players, that OMG, look at all these problems, how will it work??!!

Funny how nobody complains about the different salaries of coaches, athletic Directories, the NCAA executives, everybody else getting paid, but the minute you mention players it becomes sooooo difficult.

every other sport manages to allocate its resources in a free market environment, why does it become so difficult when it comes to college sports? How come a lower level assistant on Coach K's staff gets peanuts compared to coach K?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom