The Bicycle Thread

Dunno how off this is
I definitely did not go 70 mph

20200910_185304.jpg
You leave it on after the ride? I’ve def done that and gotten these weird speed patterns

It looks like there's a gap 1/3rd of the way through his ride, and then right after he has his peak to 74 mph. So I'm guessing the GPS lost him for a minute and then when it caught up to him again it assumed he traveled all that distance instantly.

Anyone have advice for a new person to the hobby?

looking for something that I can take around town but also able to go on 25-35 mile rides looking to lose that quarantine 15 until BJJ schools open up (gonna take a while in Cali though).

Local shop recommended the Sirrus 1.0 or 2.0 more of an upright ride. Some of y’all mentioned a more road bike style.

maybe I don’t need to run double duty and I can grab a single speed and then another on on the side? Price cap is about 800.

Anyone have advice for a new person to the hobby?

looking for something that I can take around town but also able to go on 25-35 mile rides looking to lose that quarantine 15 until BJJ schools open up (gonna take a while in Cali though).

Local shop recommended the Sirrus 1.0 or 2.0 more of an upright ride. Some of y’all mentioned a more road bike style.

maybe I don’t need to run double duty and I can grab a single speed and then another on on the side? Price cap is about 800.

I think that Specialized bike seems fine. I looked it up and I think the components are why it is on the cheaper side but if you aren't really crazy into biking, I don't think it really matters. Depending on where you live, having different gears can help but single speed bikes seem to be the "cooler" option.

I fixies are the way you want to go, I always recommend State Bicycles but mostly cause the price seems to good for what you get: https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/core-line. I don't think the bike itself is the worst but you get what you pay for but the point is to get it cheap and just ride it to the ground. I am sure once your BJJ classes open up, the bike might just collect dust but at least you didn't burn your pockets getting it.

I think that Specialized bike seems fine. I looked it up and I think the components are why it is on the cheaper side but if you aren't really crazy into biking, I don't think it really matters. Depending on where you live, having different gears can help but single speed bikes seem to be the "cooler" option.

I fixies are the way you want to go, I always recommend State Bicycles but mostly cause the price seems to good for what you get: https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/core-line. I don't think the bike itself is the worst but you get what you pay for but the point is to get it cheap and just ride it to the ground. I am sure once your BJJ classes open up, the bike might just collect dust but at least you didn't burn your pockets getting it.
I can see this being something that I continue with to promote good health. But I don’t want to dive in, I can always upgrade later.

LBS carries RetroSpec bikes for their budget flip flop hub selection. Don’t think they carry Bianchi, Giant but someone around town might.

Check your local listings too. My brother was going to visit me in PDX before the fires, and he was going to pick up a Surly Steamroller for the low for me.

Where you located Rumble Rumble ?

Check your local listings too. My brother was going to visit me in PDX before the fires, and he was going to pick up a Surly Steamroller for the low for me.

Where you located Rumble Rumble ?
I’m just south of San Jose, Ca.
I bought a bike a few weeks ago off CL and I know I got got. Paid way too much for an old K2 bike. That’s what I get for not researching and just jumping in. You live and you learn. I’m having way too many issues with it, and it may be too small, but my local offers trade ins. There is just too much about bikes I don’t know to make educated decisions.

Also got gifted this TCR but it won’t be here for a while from now, waiting for the in-laws to come down and bring it. This is my possible single speed candidate for the future, longer term. 6D0FA1A4-1D04-41EC-9276-A046D447FB8D.jpeg F6A667BD-3FD9-42B7-8071-2168FC72BF5E.jpeg

No, definitely not - the top of the stem should be 2-3mm above the steerer so that it can properly load the bearings - and the upper bolt should be clamping the steerer - yours is clamping air and it looks to be about 10-12mm above the top of the steerer.

Even removing the spacer doesn’t look quite enough, so unless you can get a lower stack headset (and that’s a fairly slim top cap already) that fork won’t work with that frame.

Yeah, still too much.

The only other thing you could try is to see if you can find a stem with a shorter height. It’s not a measurement that’s usually specified though so can take time.

I’m just south of San Jose, Ca.
I bought a bike a few weeks ago off CL and I know I got got. Paid way too much for an old K2 bike. That’s what I get for not researching and just jumping in. You live and you learn. I’m having way too many issues with it, and it may be too small, but my local offers trade ins. There is just too much about bikes I don’t know to make educated decisions.

Also got gifted this TCR but it won’t be here for a while from now, waiting for the in-laws to come down and bring it. This is my possible single speed candidate for the future, longer term. 6D0FA1A4-1D04-41EC-9276-A046D447FB8D.jpeg F6A667BD-3FD9-42B7-8071-2168FC72BF5E.jpeg
What size are you. Ill look for that listing that I found of the Surly Steamroller. It’s a tried and true bike/frame. So def wouldn’t recommend it if I didn’t think someone wouldn’t enjoy the bike.

What size are you. Ill look for that listing that I found of the Surly Steamroller. It’s a tried and true bike/frame. So def wouldn’t recommend it if I didn’t think someone wouldn’t enjoy the bike.
I’m 6’1” is it close to me? I’m free most days now.

jewelknows jewelknows +1 for the surly steamroller, it's another great bike for beginners people recommend besides the mercier kilo tt

6AC26505-3985-4CA2-ABBA-4D0ECC5E320E.jpeg
F0CEBAE1-1F68-4BCE-A344-C11A38040DE4.jpeg

the spacer is about 5mm and i took it out and this is how it looks.

i really dread shopping for a new shock

that steerer tube is cut way too short for that stem, you might have to look for another fork and make sure you cut the steer tube PRECISELY

Yeah, still too much.

The only other thing you could try is to see if you can find a stem with a shorter height. It’s not a measurement that’s usually specified though so can take time.

it's gonna be difficult, as you said, manufacturers don't really list stack height in the description of their stem

I’m 6’1” is it close to me? I’m free most days now.

Found the Sirrus in XL. Adding to cart. Looks it may be in stock at their warehouse.

welp copped a new fork, this one has over 8 inches of steerer tube so i should be good.

plus its a fox with orange/gold stanchions :evil:

i jus wanna ride it man, rode my buddys full suspension bike today on this fun trail and i cannot wait to hit some more trails.

Back
Top Bottom