The Bicycle Thread

Can anybody tell me what i'm doing wrong?

I'm swapping out the tubes and tires on my old wheelset and installing it on the new one. But the damn tire doesn't wanna go around the outer edge of the rim. 🤦🏽‍♂️

IMG_20200908_221126.jpg

IMG_20200908_223726.jpg

Don't use the tire levers... really high chance you're gonna pinch flat the tubes. This is from experience hehe. Best way to do it is put the tire on your knees with the valve the farthest away from you and kinda work the tire towards you... then flip the tire over and work the tire in with your palms. You're gonna work the tire in inch by inch real slow but it'll eventually pop in.

I've ruined so many tubes because I gave in and grabbed the levers...

You using tire levers?

Yes... i didn't show them in the pic

Yeah, get two levers in there. And then you just gotta pray.

And pry.
:rofl:
Man i was this close to kicking those new wheels across my room :angry:

Yeah. What they said. When I changed tubes on my tires a month ago, took me like an hour. But definitely need two tire levers to get them on.

I have 2 levers, i was able to get the tubes/tires off my old wheelset in no time. With the amount of flats i've gotten, i've been having to practice with my front wheel :lol:

Nothing.

It's HARD.

-foe

Tell me about it, but it's a faster/easier process on my old wheelset...i don't get it. I'm using the same technique/tools for both sets.

For the last part of the tire that doesn't want to go around the wheel, I'd use your hands and "roll". I never use a tire lever for that.

Fast forward to 5:15 if you just want to see the last portion. Works for me every time.

Gonna try rolling, thanks for the video.

Don't use the tire levers... really high chance you're gonna pinch flat the tubes. This is from experience hehe. Best way to do it is put the tire on your knees with the valve the farthest away from you and kinda work the tire towards you... then flip the tire over and work the tire in with your palms. You're gonna work the tire in inch by inch real slow but it'll eventually pop in.

I've ruined so many tubes because I gave in and grabbed the levers...

I was using the levers on that last part that didn't wanna go on, felt like i was going to snap the plastic. And i know what you mean about damaging tubes, first week after building my bike i made the same mistake twice and had to replace the tubes twice :smh:

Yeah, you really want to be able to get a tire on with just your thumbs - levers should only be required to get them off.

The main key is to make sure the tire is right in the groove in the middle of the rim - squeeze the beads together all the way round. That gives you a few mm slack which makes a big difference.

Then when you get to the last few inches you just have to work it over with your thumbs.

I’ve never used one but they’re supposed to be effective.

I’m not keen on anything like that though - I need to know that I can get the tire on and off at the side of the road (usually on a dark wet night).

I have a brand new pair of Schwalbe Durano’s hanging in my garage - I just can’t get them on without a long metal lever - then I can’t get them off and I pinched the tube a few times. Some combinations just don’t work. Changed to something else and they’re fine.

agreed with all the tips in here. levers to remove and hands to install. *knocks on wood* once I learned how to do that, I never wasted tubes.

my buddy kept telling me how many tubes he went through and found out that last bit he would use levers to get the bead over the rim.

Thanks for the tips on the tires, everyone.

I dread changing mine because it's always such a challenge, but what you're saying makes sense. Once the tire is 90% on, you don't need the levers anymore. You can just roll that last bit over.

Any of you prefer carbon parts from China? Looking at a few frames
never have, but looked into building a carbon frame from China. My only issue is ordering it. Can be confusing.
I was going to do this, i looked around on pinkbike forums and got a brand new crarbon frame a couple years old butnot used for about the same price.

also those china shipping dates from ebay are all like a month later

went for a quick ride this morning and i think i forgot to clip my saddlebag in so only the velcro was holding it in. or i had loosened the allen keys that hold the clip to my saddle.
anyways i came home and saw the clip that attached to my saddle was gone :lol:

might have to hit up amazon for a switcharoo

edit, went back and found it :smile:

Last edited:
oh i have no patience as a consumer, i want it NOW

funny thing so i ordered parts for my build and the post i ordered from amazon is taking the longest to arrive :lol:
I want it now too considering the weather will be nice for awhile...I'm still looking online but I'm not optimistic

stock in bike shops has been smoked for months...this is the biggest boom in bicycle sales since the oil crisis in the 1970s

financially, it works better for me to not get one right now but might bit if the right opportunity arises

how much does it usually cost to replace the brakes? i don't have anything fancy, i just ride in the mornings for cardio.

thats a glitch lol

i think i hit 60 tho. scary as hell
need proof papi

but yeah once u get over 35ish and i brake i can feel the bike slowing down more than my body if that makes any sense

its like the concept of a seatbelt to keep u in ur seat when a car crashes, except on a bicycle u ahve no belt and i feel my body leaving the saddle

Back
Top Bottom