The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analytics only work in baseball. In badketball they're pointless noise.
laugh.gif
 Where do you guys make this conclusions by? There are metrics that are proven to have value. It's silly to try and disregard them. 

I like analytics in basketball.

Baseball don't pay attention to. Football I'm getting there.

I think analytics in basketball have a place and have value, it's more of a confirmation of what you watch. But at the same time, it goes a bit overboard. Like that latest Goldsberry column on where rebounds go - it's just writing for the sake of writing.

Offensively I buy in - shooting especially is for the most part, isolated to an individual- but defensively I'll never believe stats will ever even tell half of the story.

Its still unnecessary, what are we really getting out of it?
You aren't making personnel decisions for franchises. Those are the people who see its greatest value. Still can help the average fan explain what they see on the court better.

I think analytics in basketball have a place and have value, it's more of a confirmation of what you watch. But at the same time, it goes a bit overboard. Like that latest Goldsberry column on where rebounds go - it's just writing for the sake of writing.

Offensively I buy in - shooting especially is for the most part, isolated to an individual- but defensively I'll never believe stats will ever even tell half of the story.

On the defensive side wasn't last year big story Lebron wasn't playing his best? I heard that a lot and you could watch and I saw it. He would let guys blow by him. But I saw that as just fatigue more so than effort on that side.

Offensive I like the last two finals both teams lived in the corners for points and penetrating. The piece Grantland did the first Miami/Spurs Finals was good to read.

Goldsberry isn't a great writer though. He never takes his pieces a step beyond. Often just regurgitates the stats over and over instead of putting them in context.

Defensively, there's a lot out there that can paint a picture but I think the eye test is almost as bad at telling the story. Unless we track one specific player AND we know the team defensive scheme, we can't completely judge their overall defense.

Defensively, there's a lot out there that can paint a picture but I think the eye test is almost as bad at telling the story. Unless we track one specific player AND we know the team defensive scheme, we can't completely judge their overall defense.

Watching game tape is the only way to ever really get a firm grasp on defense. Most of us don't have time for it and it's not the easiest thing in the world to decipher.

Agree on Goldsberry but I don't need data to tell me corner misses end up on the opposite side. Anyone playing basketball has known that since they were a kid.

:lol: @ the Bad News Bill segment

I couldn't stop laughing because they had just talked about how Dante probably wasn't a good draft choice and how they (especially Bill) weren't big on him. Then they jump into the Bad News Bill segment and the segment was devoted to talking about how bad Dante is and will be lol. :rofl:

Never got the hype for Exum like some of yall did, some of you made him seem like some sort of Kobe type prospect. I remember talking about this pre-draft and some of you got mad I was even questioning the limited information on him. That doesn't mean I think he'll be a subpar player though.

Never got the hype for Exum like some of yall did, some of you made him seem like some sort of Kobe type prospect. I remember talking about this pre-draft and some of you got mad I was even questioning the limited information on him. That doesn't mean I think he'll be a subpar player though.
The fact Exum hired Kobe's agent didn't help with the hype either.

Never got the hype for Exum like some of yall did, some of you made him seem like some sort of Kobe type prospect. I remember talking about this pre-draft and some of you got mad I was even questioning the limited information on him.

yep i did the same in that thread and it was like i was talking crazy.

I can entertain an argument that Exum was maybe drafted too high or by the wrong team, but writing him off or denying that he has big upside, with what he brings to the table at 19 years old, is just silly.

Plus, there's a lot of middle ground between bad pick and the next Kobe. He's got a ton of time to wind up somewhere there.

Last edited:
Some of yall said mcw wasnt a pg in this league based off summer league & look what he did against the defending champs

Same with trey burke

Wait until atleast january to make your observations

I can entertain an argument that Exum was maybe drafted too high or by the wrong team, but writing him off or denying that he has big upside, with what he brings to the table at 19 years old, is just silly.

Plus, there's a lot of middle ground between bad pick and the next Kobe. He's got a ton of time to wind up somewhere there.

before preseason or summer league had you ever seen the kid play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom