The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? That was real? I thought BHZ just made that up.

:evil:

his attempts were low, but he's still efficient when doing it. i'm not going to just say he's the best iso scorer out of every player in the league knowing he's not, but he's really good at scoring in the iso. a lot better than what most people give him credit for. hell, he's better at almost every aspect of the game than most people give him credit for, but he's not flashy enough and plays one of the slowest teams in the league. :tongue:

I don't think advanced stats were every meant to replace the eye ball test. Their just another way to gain a deeper understanding of the game.

I think of it kinda like Economics, you can have a basic understanding be just reading theory. But you gain a more deeper understanding you need to know algebra, calculus, get able to interpret graphs. And most papers included some econometric (stats) analysis, to you need a firm grasp of statistics.

Last edited:
Didnt advanced stats have d fish as the best defender in the league :lol:

Ppl just create these things just to seem like they know more about the game than they actually do

Ppl just create these things just to seem like they know more about the game than they actually do

People also dismiss the advanced stats because it doesn't fit their narrative eye ball test

People also dismiss the advanced stats because it doesn't fit their narrative eye ball test

Politicians do the same thing with scientific research. :lol:

If it fits my narrative, then it is good, if it doesn't, they clearly don't know what their talking about.

Let's clarify something... there isn't one "ADVANCED STATS" that is universally used to judge players. Just because one person's formula or factors for defenders had someone like Fisher ranked 1st or very high, doesn't mean things like shot charts or advanced shooting percentages, assist rate, points per possession, EFG% TS%, and so on, aren't useful... because they are.

Especially when people still use stats. You can't watch every single player at all times, so your all-knowing "eye test" has it's limits as well. Bias... for one.

why does it have to be eye test vs analytics? why can't people understand analytics is just another method to help out the team's strategy

It's because people have to be on the extreme end of the debate. You can't just say "I'm not a fan of advanced stats, I prefer just to watch the game". It has to be someone like Zyzz saying "analytics is crap" or former players on Open Court insulting "stat nerds" when most of the time, they're just fans who are trying to use new ways to better understand the game.

Nah just the people who use advanced stats as some sort of credibility

"Well according to his per 36 hes more efficient blah blah" foh

Well, if that was in response to someone saying "He has more points therefore he's a better player" then I'll absolutely use advanced stats to try to better understand efficiency and value. People who dismiss advanced stats are often the same people who just see someone dropping 30 points but don't care if that player needed 29 shots to get it.

Last edited:

Exactly.

He never was the best defender in the league, but he was actually very good and rarely got burned one on one. Most PG's that played against had to put him through like 20 screens with shaq and bynum to rid themselves off of him. Using screens isn't a bad thing, but Fisher one on one defensively was good...borderline very good. That's an entirely different discussion though.

Well, if that was in response to someone saying "He has more points therefore he's a better player" then I'll absolutely use advanced stats to try to better understand efficiency and value. People who dismiss advanced stats are often the same people who just see someone dropping 30 points but don't care if that player needed 29 shots to get it.

Thats why their is something called field goal percentage

So please tell me how advanced stats are more useful than the ordinary nba stat categories

Per 36= guessing game

Exactly.
He never was the best defender in the league, but he was actually very good and rarely got burned one on one. Most PG's that played against had to put him through like 20 screens with shaq and bynum to rid themselves off of him. Using screens isn't a bad thing, but Fisher one on one defensively was good...borderline very good. That's an entirely different discussion though.

They had okc fish as a top defender

Ouch.

BlankRectangularBustard.gif

They had okc fish as a top defender

And? The point in analytics (At least for me) isn't to draw definitive conclusions about a certain team or player, it's to provide some more depth into who that player is and adding some much needed context to his numbers. Fisher was still a very good defender in OKC, but it doesn't show via eye test because the guys he guards use a ton of pick and rolls to score. They might get off for 35 that night, but most of it wasn't on fish. If you just looked at the ordinary box score however, it wouldn't tell you that. He's just one example of why Advanced Stats and Analytics can be useful.

They aren't meant to be definitive, but rather, they are meant to provide you with an alternate, and at times more accurate lens to assess what it is that you are watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom