The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to the Open Court cast talk about Analytics man...this is why I say you don't need to play in the NBA to assess it. They are making a fool of themselves man :smh: :smh: Straight up speaking on a concept they know little to nothing about.

Listening to the Open Court cast talk about Analytics man...this is why I say you don't need to play in the NBA to assess it. They are making a fool of themselves man
mean.gif
mean.gif
Straight up speaking on a concept they know little to nothing about.
Err they are actually right. Also Charles brought up the most important topic. That Per 36 minute stat don't mean nothing. If dudes could produce at that 36 minute rate, they'd all be stars...... and that ain't the case

Last edited:
Err they are actually right. Also Charles brought up the most important topic. That Per 36 minute stat don't mean nothing. If dudes could produce at that 36 minute rate, they'd all be star...... and that ain't the case

They are not right, far from it. Literally, their description of what analytics is and what it means to the game is all wrong. They legit were referring to it as simply an over emphasis on stats and that's just so far from the truth.

They are not right, far from it. Literally, their description of what analytics is and what it means to the game is all wrong. They legit were referring to it as simply an over emphasis on stats and that's just so far from the truth.
but it is. Stat geeks over think the game and thats why they aint play

It ignores a ton of variables and it isn't all that reliable. Kind of like cooking and saying well if it takes 30 minutes at 420 degrees, it should only take 15 at 840 degrees. Would y'all say it's a consistent indication of a player's potential?

what's the difference between the two? (i honestly am curious)

but to add to the discussion, having more stats/analytics is never a bad thing. knowledge is power

it all depends on how you interpret it

Well for me, Stats is simply looking at the typical points, rebounds, assist, and then drawing a conclusion based on that. Everyone does this, but it's kind of just on the surface of it all.

Analytics actually take into account how those stats come about and the circumstances that promote those statistics to happen, which in turn allow for a much more reliable metric for analysis.

Isn't Daryl Morey like the poster boy for advanced analytics? Not saying it isn't useful but we see what can happen when it's taken to the extreme

Drummond per 36 was spot on like I said it would be though.
Jimmer is about to flourish if he ever plays 36 mpg 
nthat.gif

whatever team that may be, will also win probably 4 games over the course of a season if Jimmer played 36 mpg
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Isn't Daryl Morey like the poster boy for advanced analytics? Not saying it isn't useful but we see what can happen when it's taken to the extreme

What exactly are we seeing though and what do you mean by taking to the extreme?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom