The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Open Court episode reminded me of Fran Fraschilla harping on how the "bloggers" were all writing off Kenneth Faried before USA camp (they weren't) but he could see how good he would be.

High TOs has me fearful of Exum as MCW. He does look more creative with the ball and explosive than MCW though. Verdict will probably lie with his 3pt%

yall can keep your stupid stats

only thing i pay attention to is the stats they been keeping since 1960

yall too advanced for me

what's the difference between the two? (i honestly am curious)

but to add to the discussion, having more stats/analytics is never a bad thing. knowledge is power

it all depends on how you interpret it
Well for me, Stats is simply looking at the typical points, rebounds, assist, and then drawing a conclusion based on that. Everyone does this, but it's kind of just on the surface of it all.

Analytics actually take into account how those stats come about and the circumstances that promote those statistics to happen, which in turn allow for a much more reliable metric for analysis.
so like 10 ppg would be a stat and analytics would be something like 2.4 first quarter ppg from the right elbow? of course thats more of an extreme example

usually i just go with "stats" and "advanced stats"

but for a player or coach its very beneficial to know which spots are the most efficient and which need to be improved on 

so you dont care about blocks, steals or 3s? 
nerd.gif

so you dont care about blocks, steals or 3s? :nerd:

well those too but i mean PER and all this crap is just stupid and confusing. i went on real gm the other day and its like dudes speak another language now. basketball has gotten so complicated now its kinda ridiculous IMO

It ignores a ton of variables and it isn't all that reliable. Kind of like cooking and saying well if it takes 30 minutes at 420 degrees, it should only take 15 at 840 degrees. Would y'all say it's a consistent indication of a player's potential?

Good analogy.
A player might shoot a higher percentage shot from the top of the key, but each shot from the top of the key is different( one defender in the area or two, is it against a 6'2 SG or 7' shot block threat etc etc)

Not saying they can't matter, but...with all the variables, it can become immeasurable, there is always a newer more precise way to measure something. When does it become Jedi Mind Tricks?

What exactly are we seeing though and what do you mean by taking to the extreme?

He seems to value it above all else such as chemistry, continuity and douche bag personality traits. Overall I just don't like the Rockets :\

Hollinger isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either tho

Good chance Exum gets bounced around before he finds the right team. Bureke looked real good in that game against the Clips.

Chauncey wanting to snapchat Sterling was funny. I wonder what stories he has to share.

Last edited:
well those too but i mean PER and all this crap is just stupid and confusing. i went on real gm the other day and its like dudes speak another language now. basketball has gotten so complicated now its kinda ridiculous IMO

Just because it's complicated to you doesn't mean it isn't complicated though and the last two NBA Champions have went on record and vouched for how vital Analytics have been for them. The Spurs and The Heat have been on the cutting edge of the Analytics movement. Their success, while not entirely due to analytics (obviously) show that that stuff indeed serves a purpose, a big one at that.

I am not suggesting that Analytics is the solution to world hunger or anything like that, but what I am suggesting is that there is obviously a place for it and it can and play a vital role in the make up of the league's elite teams.

Last edited:
He seems to value it above all else such as chemistry, continuity and douche bag personality traits. Overall I just don't like the Rockets :\

Hollinger isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either tho

Meh, he moved to put more of a focus on analytics and as a result, stayed very competitive while rebuilding and ended up with Dwight and Harden. Won 50 plus games last year and is in a great position to be a contender for years to come. It's working pretty well for him.

Last night's Open Court = "GET OFF MY LAWN"

Edit:

The Jazz at #29 seems too low.

Last edited:
Im curious will Perkins come off the bench now?
Can Funaki average 15 & 10 during the season?

Last edited:
Im curious will Perkins come off the bench now?
Can Funaki average 15 & 10 during the season?

Yes and Yes
I don't know if he can play like this with Durant and Ibaka on the he floor, but until then; I believe he starts and double doubles

How is Giannis doing at PG?

hes not ready yet but this is what the preseason is for. Cant create yet, but during the season he can play spot mins. just to slow down the PG. Dude is 19 and being taught by one of the best to ever play the position. i cant wait until he puts it all together.

The Jazz at #29 seems too low.

Definitely does.

The Giannis at PG thing is funny to me. Everyone's so enamored by it. It's a cute idea, but he's never going to be a full-time PG. He'll be able to initiate the offense, but he's not a PG.

Last edited:
Giannis plays pg how reggie plays pg when russ is on the court

Brings the ball up hands it off & runs straight to the corner

Analytics only work in baseball. In badketball they're pointless noise.
I wouldnt go this far, they do serve a purpose. Analytics have played a roll in the rise of threes in the league, its proven how valuable the three really is. But yeah it does get overblown from time to time.

I'm so glad Bill and Jalen is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom