Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Originally Posted by Durden7

wj4 wrote:
Just a random question...you guys think athletes go through the cut/bulk up process? Given that most aren't fat to start out already.

The only folks who even know about the bulk/cut process is the more knowledgeable lifters and body builders from my experience.

Athletes have no need to bulk or cut. They train differently than other people do.

I also dont think its that people who bulk/cut are more knowledgeable. Their knowledge shouldnt be coming into question. Athletes simply have different goals and mindsets about what they want to accomplish. An athlete would gain nothing from a bulk/cut process.

Oh no doubt about that. The first thing that came to mind was the interview with Dwight eating Mickey D's for good luck. For sure they dotheir own set of work outs to gain leverage in their sport. Dwight says that he even touches on some workouts as the NFL cats to gain more strength.

I was just curious about, say those prospects who are just getting into the pro league and need to shave off an extra 15-20 lbs or what have you.

I was pretty surprise at Lebron when I saw him practicing with no shirt on and he wasn't as defined as you would imagine. I guess that's what an NBAbuild looks like in order to retain maximum speed.

Just curious to hear why you don't think people who cut/bulk are more knowledgeable? I don't do that myself, I don't think I need to, to get theBrad Pitt Fight Club body.
laugh.gif

wj4 wrote:
Just a random question...you guys think athletes go through the cut/bulk up process? Given that most aren't fat to start out already.

The only folks who even know about the bulk/cut process is the more knowledgeable lifters and body builders from my experience.

Athletes have no need to bulk or cut. They train differently than other people do.

I also dont think its that people who bulk/cut are more knowledgeable. Their knowledge shouldnt be coming into question. Athletes simply have different goals and mindsets about what they want to accomplish. An athlete would gain nothing from a bulk/cut process.

Athletes won't "bulk" in the traditional sense, because they aren't going for mass so much as functional strength.

But you better believe that they do use the same principles to reach a similar outcome. When mot athletes go to a higher level of play, like from HS to NCAA orNCAA to the pro level, they need to build strength, which means putting on muscle. To go about it they lift hard and eat for a caloric surplus just like abodybuilder would. They train differently and eat differently because they are trying to reach different goals, but the idea is the same.

I think Lebron is a special case.
For his size, he is surprisingly fast, especially for build.
There are those exceptions at times.

I say a few athletes that come to mind that bulks up are Karl Malone and Ben Wallace.

IMO.
Athletes train their target muscles so intensely that fat burning is just part of the process. If they are between games, or even seasons, that's theirlife. Simply training.

Yep, I know a guy 7'1 that was real skinny going into the NCAA, he put his weight on during his 4 years of play, and now playing for the mavs. It'spossible no matter what size you are, however you have to eat like michael phelps off that 3k 4k intake.

Just curious to hear why you don't think people who cut/bulk are more knowledgeable? I don't do that myself, I don't think I need to, to get the Brad Pitt Fight Club body.
I wasnt trying to imply that people who cut/bulk arent more knowledgeable. I was looking at it from the perspective of the "non b/cers"and saying that they arent necessarily less knowledgeable. Individuals who bulk/cut have to know what their doing so obviously theyre smart in that sense, butit doesnt automatically mean that someone who doesnt isnt knowledgeable in that area. It just might not fit their needs.

Athletes won't "bulk" in the traditional sense, because they aren't going for mass so much as functional strength.

But you better believe that they do use the same principles to reach a similar outcome. When mot athletes go to a higher level of play, like from HS to NCAA or NCAA to the pro level, they need to build strength, which means putting on muscle. To go about it they lift hard and eat for a caloric surplus just like a bodybuilder would. They train differently and eat differently because they are trying to reach different goals, but the idea is the same.

I dont think they "bulk" at all. Everything they consume is used to maintain what they already have.

Obviously they use the same principle to reach their outcome. Theres only a few basic principles in fitness, and everything else is simply a derivative ofthat basic principle. Theyre not bulking per say, but theyre simply consuming a lot of calories to keep them in their desired shape.

As they progress from each level, they have to be stronger but it doesnt mean they have to be bigger. An athlete doesnt necessarily need to be at a caloricsurplus unless they need to put on mass. They can train for strength and consume the amount of calories that deliver them to that goal.

Ideas are very generic, and when discussing something more specific (bulking/cutting) it's always better to not use principles or ideas.

Here's my new workout that I'll be starting. Right now I'm 6'3 192lbs.

Monday: shoulders/Triceps/Chest
Tuesday: Biceps/Back
Wedensday:legs
Thursday: shoulders/triceps/Chest
Friday: Biceps/Back
Saturday: Legs
Sunday: OFF

I was thinking of doing cardio and abs on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Any advice?

The effects of leg day unappreciation. I've been falling into chairs and grabbing onto anything for leverage to get up because this soreness is brutal. Atleast I'll be stronger next week.

Originally Posted by ScoopEm

I was thinking of doing cardio and abs on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Any advice?

Why not do a 3 or 4 day split? Someone correct me if im wrong but this gives your muscles more time to heal.

what are some good things to eat for dinner would stuff like chicken breast, vegetables and tuna etc be good? my only thing is i hate to eat the same thingover and over and what is a good cut off time to stop eating at night? this is a great thread been seeing alot of great post so your help is appreciated.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Why not do a 3 or 4 day split? Someone correct me if im wrong but this gives your muscles more time to heal.

That is a 3 day split.

I don't know if this question has been asked already, but when is the best time to do cardio, before or after lifting?

Originally Posted by LA213ESPG

I don't know if this question has been asked already, but when is the best time to do cardio, before or after lifting?
I prefer after, if at all.

Originally Posted by tvanterpool

what are some good things to eat for dinner would stuff like chicken breast, vegetables and tuna etc be good? my only thing is i hate to eat the same thing over and over and what is a good cut off time to stop eating at night? this is a great thread been seeing alot of great post so your help is appreciated.
My dinner consists of a piece of extra lean turkey, a sweet potato, and a cup of low fat yogurt. It used to be a piece of chicken with veggiesand low fat yogurt.

I eat every couple of hours through out the day. My last call for the night is around 10PM, and I go to sleep at around midnight. At 10PM, just smallsnack...a couple slices of mango or an orange and whey protein.

i forgot to mention that on days 1 2 3 i will be doing reps in the range of 10-12 and days 4 5 6 i will do the reps of 4-6 with heavier weights

i forgot to mention that on days 1 2 3 i will be doing reps in the range of 10-12 and days 4 5 6 i will do the reps of 4-6 with heavier weights

Abs??

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

but what if I'm not able to powerclean at my gym? Since there is a powerclean in one of those workouts posted.
Join a new gym. Is there just not a barbell set up anywhere in your gym? If not, then I guess you're stuck with machines and cables, but if they have a barbell anywhere in the gym and some plates, that's all you need. Unless they have some rule against that kind of stuff like at Planet Fitness, which if that's the case, join a new gym.

Damn...and the all they have are smith machines, no loose barbells
ohwell.gif

they do have curl bars tho...

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Abs??
He said at the bottom that he's looking for advice on the abs part, whether to do it with cardio or not.

Do you wanna balance off the work outs? It seems like if you were to do the cardio and abs on those days, the other days would be really short work outsessions.

BTW does/has anyone here do pyramids when they work out?

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

That is a 3 day split.

Damn nevermind then I got mixed up.

Any advice on a new workout routine? I've been doing the traditional 3 day and one off for a while now:
Monday: chest/tri
Tues: back/bi
Wed: shoulder/legs
Thur: rest
repeat

monday - back and bi's heavy
tuesday - chest and tri's heavy
wenesday - shoulder and legs heavy
thursday - back and bi's light at least 25 reps a set
friday - chest and tri's light at least 25 reps a set
saturday - shoulders and legs light at least 25 reps a set
sunday - rest up and repeat
i use to go heavy 2 times a week oh i do abs everyday before i work out and jogg 5 to 6k on sunny days first thing in the morning soon as i get up, trygoing heavy 2 times a weak fpr s month cycle, u definitly get stronger, than go light the second half of the week the next month

Just curious to hear why you don't think people who cut/bulk are more knowledgeable? I don't do that myself, I don't think I need to, to get the Brad Pitt Fight Club body.
I wasnt trying to imply that people who cut/bulk arent more knowledgeable. I was looking at it from the perspective of the "non b/cers" and saying that they arent necessarily less knowledgeable. Individuals who bulk/cut have to know what their doing so obviously theyre smart in that sense, but it doesnt automatically mean that someone who doesnt isnt knowledgeable in that area. It just might not fit their needs.

But you better believe that they do use the same principles to reach a similar outcome. When mot athletes go to a higher level of play, like from HS to NCAA or NCAA to the pro level, they need to build strength, which means putting on muscle. To go about it they lift hard and eat for a caloric surplus just like a bodybuilder would. They train differently and eat differently because they are trying to reach different goals, but the idea is the same.

I dont think they "bulk" at all. Everything they consume is used to maintain what they already have.

Obviously they use the same principle to reach their outcome. Theres only a few basic principles in fitness, and everything else is simply a derivative of that basic principle. Theyre not bulking per say, but theyre simply consuming a lot of calories to keep them in their desired shape.

As they progress from each level, they have to be stronger but it doesnt mean they have to be bigger. An athlete doesnt necessarily need to be at a caloric surplus unless they need to put on mass. They can train for strength and consume the amount of calories that deliver them to that goal.

Ideas are very generic, and when discussing something more specific (bulking/cutting) it's always better to not use principles or ideas.

yeah dude that's what i've been saying

obviously if an athlete doesn't need to get bigger he's not gonna be on a diet whose purpose is to increase size. if they're simply maintainingsize then they're not gonna be eating at a caloric surplus. of course not.

but at some point almost all serious athletes in sports like football or baseball put on muscle because in order to stay competitive. you'd be hard pressedto find anyone who is naturally nfl-sized, for example

Originally Posted by LA213ESPG

always after. After lifitng your body has pretty much used up all the sugar, so the fatty storage is immediately tapped in.

Originally Posted by 23legacy45

Just had some calamari for dinner. Heading to the gym in 30 minutes to do some cardio and abs
smile.gif
Gotta do a lot of cardio to burn off the fried squad, man. Sounds good though.

Back
Top Bottom