STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I'd like to look up the differences in front squats and back squats in experienced lifters.

I don't think the gap should be that much unless the person just has a really really big back squat

I'd like to look up the differences in front squats and back squats in experienced lifters.

I don't think the gap should be that much unless the person just has a really really big back squat
Really really big isn't a one number answer though. Heavy to me might not be heavy to you. 

But to use really really big in an example, Dan Green can back squat right around 805 raw but the most Ive seen him post of a front squat is around 600.

Front squat is more quad dominant where back squat is glute and hamstring dominant. 

Also I think it would be harder to grind out a front squat then it would be a back squat, in other words you can do a little good morning to get the weight up but with a front you would just dump it.

Im tired of typing the word squat. 

Last edited:
Well, to clarify, when I say 'really, really big back squat' I'm talking about what most people would consider impressive. So maybe 550 and up?

For me, anything 300 and up is impressive but I know that people who can squat 300-500 is more common.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think your front squat should be 200 if your back squat is 400. I've seen people who can front squat 200 plus but maybe their back squat is only 295

Man I can't front squat worth **** 

Mine are like 200lbs apart srs  

I think most are that way though
You're a powerlifter, right? There's going to be a bigger difference between a low bar back squat and front squat than a high bar back squat and front squat.

Raises hand. This week i 5 repped 245 front squat and 275 back squat.
Durden, do you back squat with a low bar or high bar position?
There's not much point (IMO) in doing both movements during the same week if you're training for strength, unless you're a strength athlete (competitive o-lifter). Pick one and stick with it for 4-8 weeks.

Well, to clarify, when I say 'really, really big back squat' I'm talking about what most people would consider impressive. So maybe 550 and up?

For me, anything 300 and up is impressive but I know that people who can squat 300-500 is more common.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think your front squat should be 200 if your back squat is 400. I've seen people who can front squat 200 plus but maybe their back squat is only 295
Man 300-500 is common in PL gyms and serious CF/WL gyms but if you walk up to someone on the street and ask them what an impressive back squat is they aren't gonna say 550 thats for damn sure 
laugh.gif

At my commercial gym Im not sure if Ive ever seen anyone hit 300-315 to actual competition depth. 
You're a powerlifter, right? There's going to be a bigger difference between a low bar back squat and front squat than a high bar back squat and front squat.

Yep, thats true. But I feel like even my high bar and low bar back aren't even that far apart. Like defiantly less than 100lbs. It should be that way since low bar allows you to move more weight right?

Ive actually never dedicated time to learning how to front squat correctly though, I can't hold it like your Oly lifters do, and when I do the crossed arm way it feels unstable the whole time. I know it would be a nice accessory lift to bring up my back squat if I mastered it.

Last edited:
Honestly... Front squat, and high bar back squat feel like the same exact movemenr to me. I have that problem with holding the bar too. I might switch to high bar for a few months after my bulk... Haven't done it in so long.

I love both variations and do them both each week. I'm not comfortable with low bar squat though so high bar everytime for me.

I know I've said this before, but you don't really have to hold the bar on front squat. Whenever I do them, I never use my thumbs, and this is widely acceptable. If I try to wrap my hands around the bar, it handicaps me lol

Some awkward conversation i had in the gym this afternoon with some racist dude.

i was wearing a Larry Bird shirt some guy that i see regularly goes up to me and says

Guy:Nice shirt that was back during the good ole days

Me:Yea bro the physicality and the rivalries back then.

Guy:NO man it was when it was mostly whites playing and little n words playing compared to now its almost all n word playing but at least team USA is looking half and half right now then he names all the white players in team usa 

​Me: at this point i was so caught off guard and said only Plumlee made the cut  then i left he was so disappointed when i said only Plumlee made it.  i then jogged to the other side of the gym to avoid him

Last edited:
Only two fingers on the bar when I front squat, maybe three fingers if my wrists are feeling loose that day.

Some awkward conversation i had in the gym this afternoon with some racist dude.
i was wearing a Larry Bird shirt some guy that i see regularly goes up to me and says
Guy:Nice shirt that was back during the good ole days
Me:Yea bro the physicality and the rivalries back then.
Guy:NO man it was when it was mostly whites playing and little n words playing compared to now its almost all n word playing but at least team USA is looking half and half right now then he names all the white players in team usa 
​Me: at this point i was so caught off guard and said only Plumlee made the cut  then i left he was so disappointed when i said only Plumlee made it.  i then jogged to the other side of the gym to avoid him

:rotf

Big Boss- you actually went through with buying the power shoes?

Durden- no more squats :frown:. Try lowering the weight or you can do body building squats, full ROM not even once.

Front rack position is more important than wrist/hand placement. You shouldn't be holding the bar on front squats. It will put too much strain in your wrist and forearms. Loose hands, high elbows, squeeze the pecs/core and use your delts to carry the weight.

I actually rarely do deloads. I hear to do one either every 4, or 8 weeks... I usually don't do one except every 12-16 weeks. I only do it then due to an event, or something.

Not saying there's anything wrong with deload weeks, but I don't want to go light for a whole week if I'm making progress.

Back
Top Bottom