STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Was just watching some strengthcamp vids. Dude said 20 sets is too much? So doing a 5x5 split with 4 exercises would be considered overtraining?

How many sets/reps should one do per day say for chest, back, legs, shoulders.
Damn, I overtrain every morning then...LOL.

Shhhhhh...I just did 34 sets for arms.

I normally do anywhere between 26-30 sets per body part per day.  I don't think there is a "MAGIC NUMBER YOU SHOULD DO".  You have to push YOUR body and see how YOU respond to a specific type of train.  Just my two cents.

How many reps on average do you guys do per set? I usually average 8-15 and by the 15th set fatigue starts to kick in.

How many reps on average do you guys do per set? I usually average 8-15 and by the 15th set fatigue starts to kick in.
8 reps 4 sets. Key is to lift as heavy as possible with the best form you can have and with as much intensity as possible. Only way to get better.

Thanks for the link, bro. The headphone stays in your ears even when you run and such? Price-wise, close to those Beats.

get the bose man, i've had mine for a year and a half and theyre still going strong. yes they stay in your ear and when they do eventually die out on you just take them into any bose store and you will be given %50 credit for them towards a new pair.

Last edited:
8 reps 4 sets. Key is to lift as heavy as possible with the best form you can have and with as much intensity as possible. Only way to get better.

How many movements per body part?

Guess I'm just looking for a solid program.

Is this too much? (chest/shoulder sample)

Flat BB 5x5
Decline BB 5x5
Incline DB 5x5
Shoulder Press 5x5
Military Press 5x5

I think I figured out my shoulder issue, im letting it go like a shrug instead of firming up everything as a unit , legs, core, chest, arms and shoulder.

anyone doing the san diego tough mudder in november? im already signed up, but looks like everyones bailing 

i dont mind going solo because ive always wanted to do one, but just wanted to see if any NTers wanted to meet up 

anyone doing the san diego tough mudder in november? im already signed up, but looks like everyones bailing 

i dont mind going solo because ive always wanted to do one, but just wanted to see if any NTers wanted to meet up 

Thought about it but I don't think I'm quite ready for that haha. Probably next year though.

I think most people train for pumps rather than trying to make actual progress.
So true. Just like a lot of people don't know how strong they are because they don't test themselves and do not know how to make linear progressions on their lifts.
How many movements per body part?

Guess I'm just looking for a solid program.

Is this too much? (chest/shoulder sample)

Flat BB 5x5
Decline BB 5x5
Incline DB 5x5
Shoulder Press 5x5
Military Press 5x5

Personally I wouldn't take advice from the twins. 

No reason to do flat and decline because they target the same area. Also you want to throw in some kind of accessory work with high rep ranges (3x10), things like side lateral raises, dips, some tricep work if you doing a PPL.

I got my PPL routine from BB.com but made some changes to it for what I like most. I recommend trying it out over your traditional bodybuilding split.

Last edited:
What a good program to follow sets/reps-wise for someone who wants to add lean mass? I'm only 6'3" 185-190 and would like to be in the 215-220 range.

Wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a program they've seen nice gains with.

I'm naturally thin, so ideally I would like to thicken up without the powerlifter bloated type look.

Speaking of overtraining, I had three hours to burn on Wednesday so I hit chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders, abs, cardio, and box jumps.

Slept like a baby.

I believe overtraining is a very exaggerated concept. It takes A LOT to truly fatigue your CNS to the point that many people think they are. As long as you're eating adequately, it's going to be very hard to overtrain.

I think you're right in terms of CNS burnout however I think one argument for limiting your workout is the idea of diminishing returns. Adding in an extra 5 sets after already doing 20 in a day is going to result in pretty marginal gains. So yea if you have the time to do a 3 hour workout that's fine but half of that time would probably be better used doing something else (if you're set on improving athletic performance OE body composition spend that time on mobility or food prep)

what do you need help with?

eat oatmeal and rice cakes. those are my 2 go-to's. both dense and healthy and tasty.

Timbo: I should clarify, I rarely ever workout that long. Just had a three hour gap and exploited it for physical productivity.

Took a monster rest day to heal.

Cleaning up my diet for real has forced me to start learning to cook...lol I must say I LIKE IT!...can't wait to reap the benefits

Found this info-graph. Looks legit.

Back
Top Bottom