STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Yeah I cook most my meals. With real food nothing frozen or canned I'm trying to rid myself of eating anything processed. All my checks I've always had perfect blood pressure the docs always comment. Just trying to get educated on leaning out.

Today's work out was
Arms legs abs and cardio

Arms hammer curls 5 sets of 20 reps with weight 15lbs

Row machine weights 5 sets of 20 reps gradually decreasing started at weight 115 then went down each set

Tricep kickback 5 sets of 20 with weight 5 lbs

Vertical something.. I think it's called seated bench press 5 sets of 20 gradually decreasing started at weight 95 then went down each set

Bar curl 2 sets at 18 lb 2 sets at 24 lb 20 count

Legs
Lunges 3 sets of 20

Step ups 3 sets of 20 increasing added weight up to 15

120 sit-ups

Elliptical for 30 mins at incline 7

I honestly only want to tone my upper body and just lose weight in my lower.

Hahaha, what? Do you seriously believe that everyone or even the majority of people who squat heavy suffer from hella spinal problems later in life? Sure I'll give you that squatting with improper form will lead to increased chance of back issues down the road, but your statement above is extremely hyperbolic. Care to explain the basic biomechanics of how all heavy squatting (even with proper form) will result in spinal problems? If you can't perhaps you should refrain from making this sort of categorical statement,
I'm curious as well. I've heard it gives you mad vivid dreams and I already get pretty vivid dreams - testament to my highly advanced pineal gland I think - don't wanna get too extreme on the dream world.
I would have a day for legs instead of (or in addition to an arms day). I set my workup around lifts rather than muscle groups.
I come from the camp that doesn't understand or support doubling up on abs and calves. Any reason why you're working them more than your other muscles? Also, realize that when squatting and deadlifting you will be hitting your abs to a pretty significant extent.
Look up Starting Strength - go buy the book. You also need to eat. Don't know what your understanding of proper nutrition is, but get bulking. Look back through the thread -there's plenty of good info on bulking etc.
You seem to be one of the more knowledgeable people in this thread. Just curious what your background in strength training and nutrition is - Masters degree, research on your own?
Foam roll, guy.
Yup I'm a big proponent of it. Been doing it consistently for the past year plus. Making steady, consistent progress and it fits in with my rugby schedule well. Plus it offers a nice skeleton that can be supplemented how you want through the assistance exercises. Honestly the simplicity's great but you could go even simpler and still make gains if you stayed consistent i.e. a 3x5 type program. Nonetheless, I like the AMRAP sets - gives a nice challenge in each workout without being overly taxing. Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a proper alternative to the overblown bodybuilding routines out there.
I feel like it's not that they're less forgiving as much as it's harder to revert to bad form while doing them. To move the weight you gotta maintain good form. I do think they're good when you're in a situation where you feel like your backsquat form is lagging and opening you up to injury.
I cycled on and off meth for a while, made some serious gains - great bulking powder - but had to cycle off when I started knocking off gas stations for fun.
You could have spoken up. Honestly though, for some people it takes expensive suppys to get them in the gym enough and the placebo effect may be worth it. I feel like the initial fitness honeymoon period is generally marred by a bunch of "bad" decisions like that for a lot of peope.
Just drink water or milk. You're not breaking out of the sweet drink/sugar addiction/craving cycle by continuing with diet drinks.

Also, what kind of probiotic do you take - not brand but actual "species" of probiotics?
sick.gif
Not working in a hospital, I find hospitals depressing and stressful, so I'll avoid em at all costs, but I guess if it works for you... I also find it hard to believe that a hospital would be more convenient that a decent grocery store or even a Whole Foods - maybe it's where I live though.
I've done mainly Boring But Big for assistance but I do switch it up a fair amount - increase, decrease volume add in some fun stuff to keep things interesting and to target specific needs.
You probably made his day. A lot of old people get lonely and just need some human contact to keep em going. Doing be so self-centered, guy.

Had a solid workout today - got my 3x275 set on the bench - no real issues. Hit up a new Whole Foods (always a good selection of slightly overweight but cute hipster chicks working at WF by the way) and got me a buffalo steak - cooked that up for dinner - was really good. There's few better feelings than cooking up a good tasting, swole-inducing meal at the end of a long week.
I've always heard if your looking for the most muscle growth that you work your legs and back twice a week.  Your abs and calves need as much rest possible.

As for protein shakes, I use Muscle Milk because it is the only one with taste that I can stomach. I heard it does nothing for you though. Is this true?
Abs are made in the kitchen. Eat right, workout normally and you'll see abs.
Yah but dont you have to do any specific workouts to see abs? I do not know any workouts that work abs. Maybe crunches IDK. Doesnt bother me. Abs are not a goal of mine.

Last edited:
Also I have been doing squats as every day I go to the gym. I am doing 5x5 so I started with low weights even though I could have easily done the weights. Now I am at the bar plus 65 lbs (I know not much). I increase 5 lbs total every time. But today when I did my squats, I could feel it somewhat in my lower back. Is that a sign not to go up higher or......?

This is my back currently.

I really want to add more size and tone at the same time (my whole body), is this practical? I'm currently 5'10'' and 174lbs.

I've kinda been doing the same routines/exercises for quite some time now, but fluctuating in weight and repetitions.. anyone recommend any good muscle/strength building programs? :nerd:
what is your back routine?

As for protein shakes, I use Muscle Milk because it is the only one with taste that I can stomach. I heard it does nothing for you though. Is this true?
Yah but dont you have to do any specific workouts to see abs? I do not know any workouts that work abs. Maybe crunches IDK. Doesnt bother me. Abs are not a goal of mine.

Muscle milk is too rich for me too it isn't the most ideal with all the added sweeteners fat and cals. But I guess it's ok if you haven't consumed a lot during the day. I stick to just whey and water... My abs are peeping thru.

its a good idea to workout abs/core in general... Having a strong core will help in your squats/deadlifts.

some ab/core exercises:

hanging leg raises
decline weighted sit ups
kneeling cable crunches
hyperextensions

I only do this stuff toward the end of the workout after the more important exercises.

I really dont see how people can do all these excercises without spending 3 hours at the gym everyday :nerd:
Isnt hyperextensions lower back? I have been doing them thinking it was lower back. I should be doing kneeling cable crunches since it is part of my 5x5. Never understood what that did. Good looking out. Weight sit ups? I can hardly do regular ones.......

Anyway what is a good back routine?

I am going to be skinny forever :frown:
All I want is to have a body good for a nice suit and an arm big enough for a cool sleeve. :frown:

Muscle milk is too rich for me too it isn't the most ideal with all the added sweeteners fat and cals. But I guess it's ok if you haven't consumed a lot during the day. I stick to just whey and water... My abs are peeping thru.
I need the fat and calories. In fact I get muscle milk over myoplex because of the extra calories.

Last edited:
I really dont see how people can do all these excercises without spending 3 hours at the gym everyday :nerd:
Isnt hyperextensions lower back? I have been doing them thinking it was lower back. I should be doing kneeling cable crunches since it is part of my 5x5. Never understood what that did. Good looking out. Weight sit ups? I can hardly do regular ones.......

Anyway what is a good back routine?

I am going to be skinny forever :frown:
All I want is to have a body good for a nice suit and an arm big enough for a cool sleeve. :frown:
I need the fat and calories. In fact I get muscle milk over myoplex because of the extra calories.

how small are you bro...lol

suits look great on slim people.

btw dont quote me, but i think Deadlifts are the best workout you can do for your lower back...can someone more knowledgable confirm?

rows, lateral pulldowns, deadlifts, back extensions....there is plenty bro....just becareful you dont mess up your back.

lol i've never even tried. maybe when i drop a little more tonnage and up my pull-ups i'll start trying to give it a shot. at this point i'd probably hurt something. battling a strain in my elbow right now. sharp pain when i do certain presses like flat barbell bench. the onset came one day when i was doing dips :smh:

lol i've never even tried. maybe when i drop a little more tonnage and up my pull-ups i'll start trying to give it a shot. at this point i'd probably hurt something. battling a strain in my elbow right now. sharp pain when i do certain presses like flat barbell bench. the onset came one day when i was doing dips :smh:

i know that feel...
my weakness is right shoulder, it really limits me...but im getting my pullups up there :pimp:

i was talkin bout the video iLLest promised us of him bussin out 5 muscleups or something like that...lulz

making it look easyyy....:pimp:

hi. my name is urple. can anyone help me out with a basic routine? im  5'10 145. never really lifted. just looking to get stronger and faster. 

i need a beginners routine and any advice to help me get started. thanks brodies. ill start being active in this thread.
anyone? cmon bros help a noob out

muscle ups are about explosion.. best to start by jumping above the bar and doing some dips then dropping down and then explode by kicking your legs while getting belly button over the bar.. I say it is like reverse cleaning..

and to dude who doesn't care for abs.. without a strong core you wont be able to lift as strong.. plus having a strong core helps with form.. look at Hannibal..

Been fighting allergies all week. Damn pollen.

Ran yesterday, felt good. About to do shoulders and then head to MegaCon. Corned beef and cabbage for dinner.

You guys believe in preworkout supplements? I'm cycling off Jack3d and my workouts have been a lot better. Guess since I'm not all wired up I can really feel my muscles working

Back
Top Bottom