STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Good lookin out. I've always done 5x5 but the interesting thing about the SL is it has you do bench, squat, and dls or ohp on the same day which is different to me. I realized the adding 5lbs each time after completing my first day.
My pt told me it was every week. Must have been mistaken. Anyway I'm taking this week as an experimental week to find out what my actual numbers are since I haven't squatted or dl'd in a long time. The original numbers I put in were too light, so day one didn't feel right. If my legs blow up than that's great. That's what needs the most work. :lol:
I started everything off with the weight mad low. I used the opportunity to work on form before I rushed to get the heavy weight on there.

Crazy how much sleep plays into lifting.

Didn’t sleep much, worked 13 hours but felt good. Like I’m not really tired.

Well, I knew I was in trouble when 135 felt heavy. :lol: ended up dumping a squat at 355 then backed down to a 5x5 @275. It isn’t the day for heavy singles. :lol: And I was planning on going to 385, nope...

After I ss sissy squats with Bulgarian split squats 4 rounds and arms.

Hello guys, just looking for a little advice and direction. I've hit a big slump these past few months, put on a lot of weight and I want to get my motivation back to start exercising again. I've never stepped foot into a gym. My only exercise experience has been at home watching Insanity dvds. I lost a gang of weight doing them. Tons of cardio, resistance training, and some strength with whatever dumbbells you have in the crib. I don't have any experience lifting real weights or using gym equipment. I did boxing for about three months early in the year at a no frills boxing gym and really enjoyed it. I wasn't losing much weight while training but my arms were getting more defined and strong. Anyway, like I said I've been in a slump since then and I'm disgusted at how I look now. I wan't to go back to the boxing gym, and combine that with actual gym workouts. The problem is I don't know where to begin or what to do. I'm going to use Planet fitness simply because of the price, but from the videos I've seen it doesn't look like they teach people how to use the equipment. Of course I have that fear of being new and knowing how to use the equipment and looking stupid. Not only that, I just don't know what to do or where to begin my workouts.

Does anyone have any tips on what exercises I should do there, what machines target what body parts etc. Also, where can I get a daily regimen on which exercises to do and how many reps of each.

Thanks for any help.

Hello guys, just looking for a little advice and direction. I've hit a big slump these past few months, put on a lot of weight and I want to get my motivation back to start exercising again. I've never stepped foot into a gym. My only exercise experience has been at home watching Insanity dvds. I lost a gang of weight doing them. Tons of cardio, resistance training, and some strength with whatever dumbbells you have in the crib. I don't have any experience lifting real weights or using gym equipment. I did boxing for about three months early in the year at a no frills boxing gym and really enjoyed it. I wasn't losing much weight while training but my arms were getting more defined and strong. Anyway, like I said I've been in a slump since then and I'm disgusted at how I look now. I wan't to go back to the boxing gym, and combine that with actual gym workouts. The problem is I don't know where to begin or what to do. I'm going to use Planet fitness simply because of the price, but from the videos I've seen it doesn't look like they teach people how to use the equipment. Of course I have that fear of being new and knowing how to use the equipment and looking stupid. Not only that, I just don't know what to do or where to begin my workouts.

Does anyone have any tips on what exercises I should do there, what machines target what body parts etc. Also, where can I get a daily regimen on which exercises to do and how many reps of each.

Thanks for any help.

Damn man. For starters, what exactly is your goal? You really need to clarify/quantify that. Getting "in shape" or "losing weight" or "getting shredded" are not good goals. A good goal should be specific and quantifiable. You need to know what exactly what you want to accomplish in order to work backwards to find a path to get there.

Also, PF is pretty trash for most serious lifting goals, unless you somehow found one of the very few franchises that has legit free weights (read: squat racks, heavy dumbbells, etc). If you can afford a better gym, a real gym, I'd go for that. If not, you'll just have to settle for PF but your results are not gonna be optimal IMO, simply because the people and equipment are generally mediocre. Being afraid to go to the gym is normal; I've been there, done that. Hell, I even went to PF when I was first starting but that fear quickly evaporates once the gains roll in.

Lastly, as far as not knowing how to use the equipment/machines, you're prolly better off not asking the staff for help. From my experience from being in different gyms, including working out in PF, most of the people that work at these places have very limited training knowledge. In fact, most commercial places have trainers specifically for that reason. A lot of those trainers will overcharge you for their basic services. If you were going to a legit XF box or PL gym, that might be different. Your best bet is prolly going to the gym with a knowledgeable friend and having them help you. Even if you paid for their membership at PF for a few months, it'd be cheaper than a training session from a hack trainer.

tl;dr: Let us know what your specific goals are and we can better help you get there. Planet Fitness is trash (assuming no squat racks); find somewhere else if you can afford it.

Thanks for any help.
First, get a check up, then getting clearance so that you can begin training with confidence. Second, you can teach yourself how to use the equipment, machines, through video instruction offered by the equipment manufacturer. Here is one for Cybex.
They even offer such for cardio equipment, treadmills, bikes and the like.

Thirdly, a few pages back, I posted my fitness/training manual from the Houston Texans football program.http://tomhayden3.com/data/texans_fitness.pdf Flip though this, as it is very informative in regard to how to achieve BALANCED fitness, enhancing your athleticism and lifestyle.

All the best.

Damn man. For starters, what exactly is your goal? You really need to clarify/quantify that. Getting "in shape" or "losing weight" or "getting shredded" are not good goals. A good goal should be specific and quantifiable. You need to know what exactly what you want to accomplish in order to work backwards to find a path to get there.

Also, PF is pretty trash for most serious lifting goals, unless you somehow found one of the very few franchises that has legit free weights (read: squat racks, heavy dumbbells, etc). If you can afford a better gym, a real gym, I'd go for that. If not, you'll just have to settle for PF but your results are not gonna be optimal IMO, simply because the people and equipment are generally mediocre. Being afraid to go to the gym is normal; I've been there, done that. Hell, I even went to PF when I was first starting but that fear quickly evaporates once the gains roll in.

Lastly, as far as not knowing how to use the equipment/machines, you're prolly better off not asking the staff for help. From my experience from being in different gyms, including working out in PF, most of the people that work at these places have very limited training knowledge. In fact, most commercial places have trainers specifically for that reason. A lot of those trainers will overcharge you for their basic services. If you were going to a legit XF box or PL gym, that might be different. Your best bet is prolly going to the gym with a knowledgeable friend and having them help you. Even if you paid for their membership at PF for a few months, it'd be cheaper than a training session from a hack trainer.

tl;dr: Let us know what your specific goals are and we can better help you get there. Planet Fitness is trash (assuming no squat racks); find somewhere else if you can afford it.

My goal is to lose 45 lbs, and build lean muscle. I've lost that amount before in about 4-5 months done through HIIT cardio, conditioning, and plyo using insanity. I was content with the results, I was slim of course, but not toned and defined which is what I'm going for now. I guess the best example I could give is the physique of a middleweight boxer. I'm 210 now, 5'7 so that should give a better idea of my body type and where I'm trying to go. The main reason I'm using PF right now is simply due to the price. I understand the reservations of using a gym like that, but coming from having absolutely no gym exp, I figure it'll be the best place to get my feet wet, and build my confidence and knowledge. Once I've reached a plateau there, then I'll move on to a real gym.

My biggest concern is knowing which techniques, machines target a specific body part and how often to work it. Like you guys know today is chest day, tomorrow is legs etc, and you go in there and knock it out. I don't know how many of "x" exercises to do for each day. Is that trial and error or do you guys have a sheet with a list that you follow daily?

First, get a check up, then getting clearance so that you can begin training with confidence. Second, you can teach yourself how to use the equipment, machines, through video instruction offered by the equipment manufacturer. Here is one for Cybex.
They even offer such for cardio equipment, treadmills, bikes and the like.

Thirdly, a few pages back, I posted my fitness/training manual from the Houston Texans football program.http://tomhayden3.com/data/texans_fitness.pdf Flip though this, as it is very informative in regard to how to achieve BALANCED fitness, enhancing your athleticism and lifestyle.

All the best.

Will do, thanks for that

I’ll leave the advice to the OGs but I gotta say if I had a homie that was motivated to workout and had never walked in a gym before, I’d have him study up on good form on the main 4 lifts. YouTube AthleanX or alan thrall or something and just focus on the main 4. Then add accessories around that. That’s just me though.

Good luck fam. If ur struggling with some things the gym is the goat outlet imo.

Does PF have free weights? I would at least make sure they have dumbbells before signing up. If they only have treadmills and machines it probably isn't even worth it, unless you're in the sticks and it's your only option.

Does PF have free weights? I would at least make sure they have dumbbells before signing up. If they only have treadmills and machines it probably isn't even worth it, unless you're in the sticks and it's your only option.

they do. I believe it goes to 70lb

all planet fitness are difference some dont go past 65 in DB while others go to 100 take a tour and find out

I do not think that someone who is just beginning to train, is worried about Planet Fitness not having 100 lb dumbbells.

I do not think that someone who is just beginning to train, is worried about Planet Fitness not having 100 lb dumbbells.

I don't think anyone said anything about 100 lbs :lol:

I just mean to do goblet squats, rows, RDL, floor press, etc. Could be beneficial for someone looking to lean out, lose weight and get the movement patterns down before moving onto the rack.

Agreed. I went to PF for a little bit when I was getting back into things and it has what you need if you are on a limited budget and just looking to get back into working out or just starting. Free weights, cable machines and treadmill were all I needed at that time.

PF is cool when you just starting out.

You'll be ready to get outta there soon tho.

Just remember, quality and consistency. Quality workouts, don't necessarily have to be long ones and stay consistent.

Good luck.

I know a professional boxer that works out at a planet fitness. Does his skill work somewhere else in the city. Unless you want some custom gear you can make anything work. “Planet fitness sucks!!” Is some YouTube fitness Bs

Last edited:
all planet fitness are difference some dont go past 65 in DB while others go to 100 take a tour and find out

I don't think anyone said anything about 100 lbs :lol:

I just mean to do goblet squats, rows, RDL, floor press, etc. Could be beneficial for someone looking to lean out, lose weight and get the movement patterns down before moving onto the rack.
:lol:

Thanks for any help.

I would suggest looking up workouts online, they generally have videos to assist with form. If you have a friend to help you out, even better. Here are some sample workouts I have done:

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/docs/2015/shortcut_to_shred_e-book_revised_9-9-2015.pdf
https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#gref

I know a lot of these moves aren't possible at PF but you can fine some replacement moves, at least as you are beginning.

They have them, I think the biggest complaint some have is that they only use smith machines and dumbbells have a max of 70-75 lbs

they do. I believe it goes to 70lb

Yup

Not at all, lol. My dumbbells at home go from 25-45 lbs, I'm not ready to be tackling 100lbs yet. Damn, I feel kinda weak for saying that :smh:

My goal is to lose 45 lbs, and build lean muscle. I've lost that amount before in about 4-5 months done through HIIT cardio, conditioning, and plyo using insanity. I was content with the results, I was slim of course, but not toned and defined which is what I'm going for now. I guess the best example I could give is the physique of a middleweight boxer. I'm 210 now, 5'7 so that should give a better idea of my body type and where I'm trying to go.

So those goals are kinda opposites. You wanna lose 45lbs but wanna build muscle. Losing weight (pounds) can be achieved simply through diet and cardio, also this is prolly the worst way to go about losing. Incorporating weightlifting along with the dieting and cardio will most likely give you better body composition.

However, actively building muscle (all muscle is by definition lean) is different. You generally want to be eating at a surplus (the size of which will depend on your metabolism and weight gain goals). And since you did not mention gear, you will most likely gain some fat, even if it is an insignificant amount since that's how it works for natty lifters. You didn't say how much muscle you want to gain, so I can't really go any further as far as how long this may take.

Your goals are kinda pulling you in opposite directions. I'd say pick one to do first and then re-assess and re-attack after that, kind of like @broncos19dm is doing. Dude lost mad weight and is now add lean mass.

The main reason I'm using PF right now is simply due to the price. I understand the reservations of using a gym like that, but coming from having absolutely no gym exp, I figure it'll be the best place to get my feet wet, and build my confidence and knowledge. Once I've reached a plateau there, then I'll move on to a real gym.

This is absolutely asinine. If you are actually serious about accomplishing these goals, you'd probably be better off just starting in a "real gym". Not my money or time so I won't try to beat this dead horse too much. PF is not a real gym: they have pizza and bagel days for fukks sake. A real gym probably has people more dedicated to their fitness goals and you might even be able to find someone knowledgeable there to take you under their wing. You could maybe do the same at PF but I'm guessing the pickings will be slimmer.

My biggest concern is knowing which techniques, machines target a specific body part and how often to work it. Like you guys know today is chest day, tomorrow is legs etc, and you go in there and knock it out. I don't know how many of "x" exercises to do for each day. Is that trial and error or do you guys have a sheet with a list that you follow daily?

Geezus. You clearly have no idea what you are doing and that is fine. Everybody starts somewhere. If you have any friends that are lifters/fitness guys, I'd ask them to take you on as a project. Get a membership at their gym and have them teach you.

Everyone is different. Some people are content to take and follow a cookie cutter program, some people write their own, and some people don't follow programs at all, they just train by "feel" or some other arbitrary standard. I could give you one of the programs that I follow and you will half-*** it, burn out and quit, or injure/kill yourself trying to finish it. I could point you to a bunch of proven beginner/novice programs but if you don't have the equipment or the knowledge to execute them, then you're still screwed that way too. This is why a *good* gym big brother is probably your best bet. You can watch all the videos on youtube you want, but at the end of the day, a real, live person helping get you started is probably best. When I started I had no one. I didn't really know anyone to take me along with them so I taught myself pretty much everything I know. I personally have done a lot of reading and a lot of trial and error to get a general idea of what works for me. Because I have no intentions of giving up lifting anytime soon I will continue to experiment to see what works for me and what does not. Most of the big dogs ITT are probably in the same boat.

Btw, what you described is known as a bro split (basically 0-2 major muscle group(s) per day: Chest, Back, skip Legs, Arms, Shoulders, etc.) and is probably the least optimal way to approach weight training. That is not to say you cannot accomplish your goal doing things that way, just that it will almost certainly take you much longer to get there. And since you're not a gym rat (at least yet), you'd probably rather spend your time as efficiently as possible versus spinning your wheels training like an idiot.

At the end of the day, it's all up to you. Sorry for the rant. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom